main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What if Watto had been the main alien sidekick instead of Jarjar

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Rebel Scumb, Jun 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Do you think TPM would be better regarded? It would of provided the Han solo character that so many desire.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Ummm. I dunno.

I found Watto amusing at times, but prefer Jar Jar (though not by much, and also, animation execution might play a factor here... they had to spend more time with Jar Jar so I think they did a better job on him).

I think Watto's flying around all the time would have gotten distracting. Either he'd have to sit on something and be stationary, or have a little pod to ride in. Short characters are hard to deal with. (Not that SW has ever avoided that challenge.)

The end battle fought by Toydarians doesn't work well in my mind. Unless the regular Toydarians were built more like Geonosians (not fat, not bright blue).

Also, I myself was in no mood for a Han Solo type character in TPM, so I'm missing out on what was supposed to be added.

Watto had a coupla good lines though. I have nothing against him. :)

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Well I don't know what they'd do about the gungan battle, I hadn't thought of that, I just meant in terms of character interaction.

4. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Edit: Stupid double post. *sighs* Yeah, my post is down there. Check it out. 8-}

5. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Nah, I know that people would still find something to bash about him. :( I really don't think that it matters who played the part of Jar Jar. People just can't take characters who are not completely serious all the time, and who are just plain clumsy. They think that everyone in Star Wars is "perfect." So I don't think so, even if Watto had been the Jar Jar figure, he still wouldn't have been recieved well. And yeah, the battle would look a little funny, little short blue guys with Italian ( :cool:) accents flying all over the place vs a droid army. 8-} :D

6. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Well he wouldn't be clumbsy, he would be like Watto, greedy and sarcastic. Not just wattos appearance, I should of amde that clear, his personality as well.

As for the battle, jsut replace the gungans with naboo soldiers, or the gungans still fight the battle, but jar jar is only in a few scenes and Watto is in alot.

7. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Scumb. Are you back posting again?

I like Watto. He certainly is a character. Although I don't think he would have worked with the current plot of TPM. They would be now way Watto would have helped the Queen. Even if it was his planet being invaded.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I like Watto a lot. Even his cameo in AOTC is great stuff.
    But the guy's just way too greedy and venal to be travelling along with the good guys for too long. He's certainly very different from Jar Jar :)

9. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I think what Rebel means is if Watto were the main alien of the group instead of Jar Jar, independent of the whole Gungan battle. I think it would be interesting; his greed would be motivation to go along. He could, I dunno, find out about the Queen and offer to help in hopes of recieving a reward. Greed can be a powerful ally.

10. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    That sounds alot like Han character from ANH. Only rescuing the Princess to get a reward.

11. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    "It would of provided the Han solo character that so many desire."

12. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    The CGI would have been better, I think. In my opinion, the Watto character is one, if not the, best CGI character. But like somebody wrote, he just doesn't fit in the current plot given his venality.

13. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "I like Watto a lot. Even his cameo in AOTC is great stuff.
    But the guy's just way too greedy and venal to be travelling along with the good guys for too long."

Maybe his character could evolve to be more then just greed like that Han Solo guy did.

"I think what Rebel means is if Watto were the main alien of the group instead of Jar Jar, independent of the whole Gungan battle. I think it would be interesting; his greed would be motivation to go along. He could, I dunno, find out about the Queen and offer to help in hopes of recieving a reward. Greed can be a powerful ally."

I swear L_4_L you should travel around with me to explain my posts. Yes this is what i mean, maybe he is always trying to steal from her behind her back, he's not witht he badguys, but he's not totally on the side of the good guys either, always apraising the naboo silverware when nobodies looking, but in the ned sees the value of friendship. Or something.

"The CGI would have been better, I think. In my opinion, the Watto character is one, if not the, best CGI character. But like somebody wrote, he just doesn't fit in the current plot given his venality."

The plot would obviously have to be different in spots, I'm not arguing that, thats sort of my point, how would it change around the plot? speculate throw around ideas scenarios, would you like it better? worse? same?

14. Tomaschus

Tomaschus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Watto would have been perfect. Phantom needed a charecter who wasn't an all around good guy. and he has a much better personality than Jar jar.

15. Obi-WanKenobi715

Obi-WanKenobi715 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    As much as I love Watto as a character and prefer him as a character to Jar Jar, I don't think it'd work. I picture Watto being the Iago (Aladdin) of the prequel trilogy, a flying sidekick.

16. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
  17. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    I swear L_4_L you should travel around with me to explain my posts. Yes this is what i mean, maybe he is always trying to steal from her behind her back, he's not witht he badguys, but he's not totally on the side of the good guys either, always apraising the naboo silverware when nobodies looking, but in the ned sees the value of friendship. Or something.

lol

Definately. We should go on tour, you'd be the Paul McCartney to my John Lennon. :p

As much as I love Watto as a character and prefer him as a character to Jar Jar, I don't think it'd work. I picture Watto being the Iago (Aladdin) of the prequel trilogy, a flying sidekick

It could work in that capacity too. He would go along with them to pester the Jedi and question their ideology. They could have some amazing conversations, Watto would ask why the Jedi don't believe in ownership. Someone like him would not be able to understand that, and it would be up to Qui-gon, or even better Obi-wan, enlighten Watto on the ways of the Jedi. It would make the Jedi more personable and it would have made Obi-wan a fuller character, as it was the interactions with Watto that made Qui-gon such a great character. The personality in Watto just had SO MUCH potential to it, I really could have seen him as a character that grows and changes throughout the Trilogy as he would have gone with the Jedi and changed. Maybe eventually have his character culminate with a heroic death doing a selfless deed. To go from a lowly slaveholder/shopowner on Tatooine to a heroic figure that tries to stop his one-time property from becoming the greatest monster the Galaxy had ever known, I get chills. So much potential, just so much. Wasted.

18. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Do you think TPM would be better regarded?"

Most likely the older more criticial adults would of regarded Episode I with more respect, but I don't think the children would of enjoyed it as much because Jar Jar appealed more to them that Watto. I like Jar Jar so I'm biased and I'll leave it at that.

19. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    I like Jar jar too, he could still be in it, Just imagine he had Wattos amount of screen time, and Watto had his. Jar jar is just someone who helps them on Naboo, and Watto is actually along for the ride. Jarjars character was basically abandon in ep2, and RM says he's in ep3 even less, and I think we can all agree if he had been more popular we would of seen him along for the ride in ep2, probably teamed up with Obi-wan on his mission.

If the trilogy at large had had Watto is a key supporting role I just think, as was said it would of spiced things up and lead to a lot of interesting situations and dialogue.

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Mind you, one big point against Watto - he heavily loses out in the looks department compared to Han. That would've lost him a fair chunk of support, perhaps ;)

21. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "and I think we can all agree if he had been more popular we would of seen him along for the ride in ep2, probably teamed up with Obi-wan on his mission."

I disagree with this. Obi-Wan went on Jedi Business and nobody outside the Jedi Order knew about this investigation really. Taking Jar Jar with him would of been really silly, considering he is a Senator and his place is on Courscant during Episode II. Obi-Wan went on his own personal adventure, and so did Padme and Anakin.

Another thing. Jar Jar was popular with the children and some adults. Just the older fans that don't seem to appreciate his character and what he is all about. So what would of Binks done then if he teamed up with Obi-Wan?

22. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    I disagree with this. Obi-Wan went on Jedi Business and nobody outside the Jedi Order knew about this investigation really. Taking Jar Jar with him would of been really silly, considering he is a Senator and his place is on Courscant during Episode II. Obi-Wan went on his own personal adventure, and so did Padme and Anakin.

I could see Watto going with Obi-wan though, in AOTC, still helping in some fashion. Maybe Watto could have stayed on Coruscant after Episode I and he would have been working as a bus boy in Dex's Diner or something; and instead of going to see Dex, Obi-wan could go to see Watto about the dart he recovered. As a junk dealer, he would have more than likely seen his share of weapons brought for pawn and such. There could have been an interesting exchange, where maybe Watto offers to sell Obi-wan the information before just telling him "for old time's sake."

Besides, the Jedi are not above bringing people along to help on a mission. Watto could insist on going along with Obi-wan, where he's starting to change as a character, so he can offer some streetsmarts to an otherwise naive Jedi.

23. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Even with Jarjar I give Lucas enough credit that he could write a plausible reason. The senate wants some one to go along to insure the mission remains diplomatic. Plus because Kaminio was of the charts they might of wanted an ambassodor to go.

Something like that.

24. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Yeah, and it would lend some credence to the Jedi as well. After their hesitation to become the slightest with the situation on Naboo, it makes them look bad to go off and fight a battle for one Jedi held prisoner after sitting back and allowing the people of Naboo to die under blockade. If Jar Jar had gone, there would have been more of a case as not only a Jedi was held prisoner but a Senator (to the knowledge of the Senate).

25. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I think it would have been better. Watto had a lot of understated humour rather than the boring stuff that JJB came up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.