main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is your view on humanity's future?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jul 4, 2001.

?

What is your view on humanity's future?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Bleak

68.8%
  2. Bright

31.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kettch

Darth_Kettch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2001
    umm... Before we can build colonies that can actually support the earth, it's a given that we'll have to settle our Terran disputes, such as overpopulation, war, disease and global warming. Any of these would seriously hamper colonization efforts.

What I'm saying is, we must solve our problems here on earth to go into space.

2. Darth_Kettch

Apr 29, 2001
    Yes, but could the space project have happened during world war II? Do you think that there will be a colonization effort during world war III?
    I don't.

3. Pants

Pants Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2001
    BRIGHT! No, no BLEAK!

Hang on it qwill be........

Um, I can't tell.

of course, I could say...

BLIGHT!!!!

The glass was half full so I drank it.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Everything is horrible, yahoo. Really, really terrible, boo hoo. I'm really depressed. Really downtrodden. Down in the dumps. Bah hoo, duo hoo. 26,780 people die every second, ohoo ohoo. 17,567 people just died. Disaters, AIDS, death, inflation, taxes, George Bush, hell, satan. Cancer of the liver, cancer of the colon, cancer of the wrist. AND JOHN DENVER, ON COMPACT DISC!!! oh ho, oh hoo hoo, oh no, solo."

"17,567 more people just died. Remember that guy sitting right next to you? The one who got up to go to the bathroom? He's dead. Un-hun, what a shame. Too bad. JFK, RFK, LBJ drive, he's dead.

Malcolm X,
    Stan Getz,
    the little chick from the Poltergist movies. Yo hoo, hoo hoo.

Miles Daives,
    Freddy Mercuery,
    Micheal Landon,
    Hoo hoo,
    Fred MacMurry,
    Yo ho,
    I have a shooting pain in my left arm, starts at my wrist and goes up to my....*Gasp*

Just kidding folks. ;)

*Gack* thud.

5. Gonzonaut

Gonzonaut Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    "26,780 people die every second"
    - a previous post

"So it goes."
    - Kurt Vannegut, Slaughter House Five

If we settle on other planets, do you think we should...
    a: live beneathe the planet surface?
    b: live in shelters above ground?
    c: eventually terraform the colony planet?

6. Darth_Kettch

Apr 29, 2001
    Making underground dwellings would be preferable in the short term (as the chances of a hospitable surface are slim at best), but terraforming is definitively the way to go.
    The problem, of course, is the massive support projects like these would need.Therefore, I still maintain that we should take care of domestic squabbels before colonizing other planets.

7. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    Only the great penguin empire will be able to save us! :eek:

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    we're all gonna die!!!

9. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    Things do not expand when they get colder. Heat expands. That is why a Marshroom will puff up as does a balloon when it is put inside a microwave.

10. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    Go fill a cup of water. Stick an ice cube or two inside it. Look at the height of the water on the cup. Go away. Let the ice cube melt. Go back and look again. The water will be higher.

11. Gonzonaut

Gonzonaut Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    Thrawn, you are incorrect in stating that water levels will not rise whenthe ice caps melt, if they ever do.

McNerf-herder, you are correct that the water level will rise when the ice caps melt. However, you are incorrect in stating that ice does not expand when it cool. Ice, unlike most substances does expand when it cool. That is why you never fill an ice-cube tray to the top, because the ice will expand and break the tray.

12. Bloody-Tears

Bloody-Tears Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2001
    The world has always been filled with hate, prejudice, war, pestilence, et cetera. The world will always be filled with those little joys. We can kid ourselves, saying that the future will be better, or we can embrace the true nature of humanity. At least that's how I see it, other people are welcome to their own opinions.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Tracy: "What's it say?"
    Carlos: "It says we're screwed."

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmere.

14. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I wonder, in light of September 11, if the results of this poll would change?

15. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    You people are depressing. And you're really dissing us Americans.

Ok, I have a lot of luxeries. I'm sorry. I like the luxeries. I'm sorry. I work hard to earn the luxeries. Other people work hard and get jack. I'm sorry. It's not my fault that people have no food. It's their governments fault for not spending money on it. They're spending money on terrorism and researching biological and nuclear warfare instead of feeding their citizens. I'm sorry. There's only so much we can do. I donate a lot of koney to organizations to help, but it's true that I spend some on luxeries that I can live without. I'm selfish. Sorry. I don't like it any more than you do. Deep down Americans hate that people starve too. But they can't stop it and they bury themselves in their lives and their luxeries to escape the world and create a fantasy world and have some fun. They still donate money and do what they can to help people.

And, no World War 3 isn't about to happen. Overpopulation isn't about to happen. the world may suck, but it's not as bad as you people seem to think. It's not about to end. We may very well be improving it now. Terrorism could be dealt a serious blow. The Taliban could be toppled and a better government for the people, which will feed the people may be setup. Saddam Hussein may finally go and his country can be liberated. The world sucks, but it doesn't suck any worse than it did 200 years ago. Geez, we don't need to move underground or to space or anywhere else. We are not doing that bad. You people are so pessimistic. relax, the Earth won't blow up tomorrow. I gurantee it.

What other nation bombs military installations of a country AND drops food to their civilians too?

16. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

look at it this way. We invented cloning when we are already over crowded.

Yup. Now worry about them cracking apoptosis, that is, programmed cell ceath. Now we can clone and make us and them live forever.

I have no real problem with cloning so long as they do like gene therapy, cloned replacement organs, stem cell research, etc. But the cloning of people, I get shivers, and not for any religious reasons, but rather knowing humans as well as I do, we'll just take it too far. Sure, you can listen to low-brow conservative talk shows where they wail about cloning Hitler (I have heard this), but they negelected to mention that all you would get is this short, shrimpy, balding guy who looks like Hitler, and not Hitler himself.

As for our future: Take the borders off the maps, make nationalism a thing of the past, burn down the criminal corporations, and let's work together for a change.

17. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    "We're doomed!"

I think Planet of the Apes (original) is on the right course...

18. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    We're already dead.

19. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    To quote Doctor Smith-"WE'RE DOOMED!"

With war we will destroy ourselves.
    With peace we will destroy ourselves.

Even in the bloodiest century known to humanity we are still grossly overpopulated.

In peace, we will overpopulate Earth to it's maximum, forcing us to the edges of our solar system. What then? There will be nowhere to go.

"Mankind has grown strong in eternal struggle and will perish in eternal peace."-Adolf Hitler

20. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    I chose bleak consisering all the chaos already.(poverty,the WTC tradegy,etc).It's really depressing when you think about what apocolypse(sp?) :( .The future that would REALLY suck would be if the future would be anything like the plot of Terminators 1 or 2.

21. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I think that humanity's future is bleak. Yes, no doubt we may have many inventions to come, but what has come of nature? The more we strip it down, the more our future looks worse.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    even though i voted bleak, i have hope, so up with this thread

23. AOTC_Lover

AOTC_Lover Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    I don't want to admit it but, I think we're headed for a bleak future. :(

24. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Bleak all the way, baby.

"We're doomed!" :(

25. Jedi4Ever

Jedi4Ever Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    First we have to defeat the Siths and then we will have our bright future! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.