main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census What part of the world have you lived in the most/identify with the most?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Sep 4, 2012.

?

What part of the world do you live in?

1. Australia or New Zealand

11.4%
  2. The British Isles (United Kingdom or Ireland)

8.9%
  3. Canada

8.9%
  4. United States of America (including territories)

58.2%
  5. former Soviet Union or former European-Communist country (Russia, the Baltics, Poland, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other Europe

7.6%
  7. Other Asia & Other Pacific Isles (Middle East, Indian subcontinent, East Asia, Southeast Asia, etc.)

1.3%
  8. Latin America

1.3%
  9. Africa (including Sahara/North)

1.3%
  10. Other? Or Unsure? (please tell us)

1.3%
  1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I edited that part out later, but in any event, I didn't write that they necessarily are arrogant, but that it inadvertently could make them sound as if they are. Let's imagine an envoy from the WTO or UN or whatever is put to the task of evaluating the quality of education in various 3rd world countries. Because of the position of English in the world today, inevitably one of the metrics of the quality of education worldwide is the students' proficiency in English. Now, imagine if that envoy is himself English. Then his job basically becomes to go to Burkina Faso or somewhere else halfway across the world and say "On average the students in your country are not very fluent in my language, so naturally your education system sucks. Get on that right away, will you?" [face_laugh]

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Currently live in the UK (England) but I was born in the US. However, these days I identify more with the UK than the US. I haven't been back to the US in over 10 years. Last time I had a trip scheduled (via British Airways to JFK) it was just a couple of days after 9/11. Needless to say that trip was cancelled due to the chaos with flights. (It was a business trip so I didn't suffer financially).

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I currently live in the former British Empire, or rather, the former British Colonies of North America. That's what everybody calls it, right?

ophelia, darthhelinith and NYCitygurl like this.
  4. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Most of the USSR states are in Asiaanyway- maybe Eastern Europe and Western Europe Northern and southern would have been more correct.

5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    And if Europe is split up into Eastern, Western, etc. then Asia should be split up also. East Asia is very different from South Asia which is very different from the parts of Asia close to Eastern Europe which are very different from the Middle East.
    Maybe it would be easier if we all just posted our countries, like "I am from blank."

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You should ask the Brits that, I guess... :p

7. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    So you have ten options:
    North America
    Central America
    South America
    Oceania(incl Australia)
    Middle East
    South Asia
    East Asia
    Western Europe
    Eastern Europe
    Africa
    (I don#t mind having Europe as a whole but since you want to know who from Eastern Europe is here..)
    I just don't like being called other Europe, that is so un geographical :p
    Otherwise just ask the boardadmins to let you have more options [face_devil]

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Good choices.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My first thoughts exactly.

Portugal here.

11. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    United States, though my time in Japan impacted me a lot. I love Japan, everything about it, and would love to take my family there some day.

Incidentally in regards to language, I think we are a bit arrogant about it. I always hear people say that if you come to America you should know how to speak English, rather than us trying to learn other languages or be accommodating to those who don't speak English well. We have even had politicians try to pass laws that make English the only language used on federal and state forms.

I encourage my daughters to pick up a practical language, for instance it would be a beneficial thing for them to learn Spanish due to all the Spanish speaking Americans we have in the US these days.

I wish I had a firm grasp on a second language.

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Australia :D

13. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I am Canadian from Canadia. Also known as former British Colony that no one wanted cuz its too damned cold.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone else want to vote?

15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Man wakes up after 10 years

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
    Bilingual.
    What do you call someone who only speaks one language?
    American.

I identify as American. [face_flag] But I've also spent a lot of years in Canada, have family there. If this poll allowed multiple choices, I'd also vote Canada.

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    An American is someone who almost speaks one language.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, someone who only speaks one language is a Brit. :p

Bor Mullet, Thena and Darth Punk like this.
  19. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I was born in Canada, but I've spent a lot of time in Italy, where my family is originally from. I love it there in small doses because a lot my parent's families are there. However, Canada is home.

PymParticles and Sarge like this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Last year marked more than half my life spent on US soil but as part of the Irish diaspora. What passes as English was not my first language and now I speak 4. I'm moving permanently back to Ireland in a short matter of time.

PymParticles , Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    So you think the grass is greener in Ireland?

Green, get it? Cuz Ireland... Never mind, it was funnier in my head.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Identify with? The Global South
    Lived in? Mostly USA

But at heart I'm a citizen of the world. I do wish people around the world could get past notions of tribalism or whatever you want to call it and just focus on the survival of the human race, FCOL

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I identify with and live in the US Midwest, though I'm trying my best to purge my MN accent.

24. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    When I went to Ireland I saw shades of green I didn't know even existed in nature

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Have you been to the Pacific Northwest?

Emperor Ferus likes this.