main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What plotline, character or scene in the entire Saga irritates you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hudnall, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentry_Boy

Sentry_Boy Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2004
    I cannot stand Gungans. I hate Jar Jar Binks more than the english language can aptly describe. I also hate the lack Darth Maul's character development and Jake Llyod.

2. ORCADEMON

ORCADEMON Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2002
    JAR JAR BINKS!

3. Jedi_Master_Jogum

Jedi_Master_Jogum Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2004
    i think they are taking yoda's manner of saying things backwards a little too far in the PT. otherthan that, its all good.

4. NeimoidianReport

NeimoidianReport Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm going to actually do a grab bag of responses...

Plotline: The interconnectedness of all things. Actually, that is a misleading statement, since I quite like the idea of the Force as a universally binding, all-encompassing abstract. What I do not like is ever-increasing compression of the SW universe, with every single character of any import in the story having not just a casual relationship with everyone else, but often a very close connection with everyone and everything. It can be argued that it is intentional as a parallel or a poetic rhyme to what GL is trying to convey, but it comes off as terribly ham-handed. It is just too much.

Character: This one is a tough call, since being irritated means that a character would have to have some emotional reasonance with me, and far too many characters that I don't really care for have such minimal parts I can't really muster any irritation towards them. That being said, I would have to pick Anakin Skywalker from AOTC. Utterly unlikable and seemingly without the redeeming traits he displayed in TPM.

Scene: The arena battle and battle of Geonosis. Delivered big in some respects, but still irritating due to unnerving choppiness and general failure to deliver on full potential. Needed better editing with fewer quick transitions and more cohesive narrative structure. In this case, less is not more.

5. ROWANGOD

ROWANGOD Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2004
    Why doesn't Obi Wan recognize R2D2 and C3PO?
    that annoys me
    i can take it if something happens to the droids
    but why doesnt he recognize them?
    i know he says he doesnt ever recall owning the droid
    which he didnt
    but shouldnt he remember anakins droids?
    come on

6. Bjork

Bjork Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2002
    Wow, what a touchy thread and subject. I better tread carefully. [face_worried]

Plotline: I'm sure I'm not the only one who answered this, but the "Virgin Mary" parallel to Anakin and his mother has to be the most over used concept in history. It worked for Jesus, but I'm afraid that for Darth Vader it's just corny.

Character: Mace Windu. Samuel L. Jackson is a great guy, but whenever I see Attack of the Clones I can't help but think about Shaft.

Scene: The infamous Luke 'n' Leia ESB kiss. It's obviously very, very weird but it also screams bad planning on Lucas's part [either that, or he somehow fails to recognize the Eww-factor in that scene]... I also never really liked the ending to ROTJ - I believe Harrison Ford described it as a "teddy bear picnic" :p - to me it was always sort of anti-climatic and left me saying: "So, that's it?"

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I agree, the celebration of ROTJ is awkward. No Ewok cartwheels. Never!!! The pyre of Vader is a good way to end the film.

8. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    everything EP 1,2, and 3.

Isn't it a sad shame on GL's part that STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC has completely blown out of the water the PRequel Trilogy's? KOTOR was everything I always imagined the Old Republic to be like...what a shame GL could not use the game designers for KOTOR to save Episode 3.

9. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Why doesn't Obi Wan recognize R2D2 and C3PO?
    that annoys me
    i can take it if something happens to the droids
    but why doesnt he recognize them?
    i know he says he doesnt ever recall owning the droid
    which he didnt
    but shouldnt he remember anakins droids?
    come on

Actually, think about this a moment...when did Obi Wan EVER meet C3PO to our knowledge? He was on the ship in TPM, and in AOTC he's too busy in the arena fighting for his life to notice some random droid which looks like a thousand other random droids running around.

As for R2-D2...he only got to know him in TPM, and during that time, I think his mind was more on the mission than an R2-unit. He certainly doesn't own R2, so that would understandably confuse him, and he's never really interacted with him again since TPM. (Unless we see something in ROTS, which, if it is, would likely be a moment's spared glance, as the droids are assumedly with Padme.)

10. Darth_Takedown

Darth_Takedown Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2004
    Most annoying plotline: The idea that Dooku was Yoda's old padawan.

Most annoying character: I agree with whoever first said the two-headed announcer for the podrace.

Most annoying scene: The musical number in Jabba's palace. I fast forward through it every time. At least now with the DVD I can fast forward much quicker.

Honorable mention goes to the series of painful one-liners Threepio delivers in the Geonosis Arena Battle.

11. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I'm with everyone who disliked the arena announcer. Two heads - two languages? They couldn't even talk to each other (coordinating showers must be difficult).

I'm also not a fan of Shmi saying that there was no father for Anakin. Especially because i think it's clear that Qui Gonn is Anni's father...

12. Darth_Ambitious

Darth_Ambitious Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2004
    I hate the whole Anakin is the Chosen One/Jesus storyline. So Anakin dad is the force, just great! Lucas goes and makes the main character of all the films into Jesus, how dumb!

Why couldnt Anakin just have been like he was described by Obi-wan in the OT. A great pilot, strong in the force, and a good friend. No son of God, Jesus, Chosen One crap needed!

13. Tatooine_Gemini

Tatooine_Gemini Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004

My answer: Boba Fett
    I could never stand that character.
    No background, no reasoning and just disrespectful of everyone. Not on the rebel side, not on the Empire side. Even Vader is seen threatening him by shaking his finger at him specifically and saying yes find my sons friends but "no disintegrations"
    Interesting. He is all for himself and Vader knows this and singles him out. I usually love good villians.. [face_love]
    BUT boba is just a bad guy bounty hunter willing to sell anyone (more likely dead than alive) for money in his pocket.. unless specifically told not to kill. BUT NOW that I saw ep2, and him as a boy watching his father die... I am beginning to understand. Maybe he feels no one in the universe and both sides of this war are on anyones side. He shouldnt really trust anyone anymore after seeing his father Jango give his life for the ones attacking the Jedi on Geonosis and then be killed by a Jedi for it with them standing by watching it. [face_beatup]
    I think ep3 will have much more of his story.

STRANGELY I met the man who plays Boba Fett and I asked him what he thought of the boy that plays the young Boba. He got a strange look on his face and then told me he wanted Boba to not have a background. He liked it better when he had no history and was a mystery. I didnt expect that answer. He was a very nice english gentleman, had a very nice wife, and a career outside of starwars.
    He showed me pictures of a comercial he did for Sweden.. viking horns and leather. lol. [face_devil] We laughed.. but walking away I still thought back to the charater.. and I just can't enjoy watching such a cold and heartless Boba. He is more heartless than Vader since inside Vader, there is still a bit of anakin who loves his son and does not sell his son out. The actor just made me feel more like Boba had no real purpose or heart.. not until now in the prequels. We will see more of Boba in ep3 and I'd like to know what he is thinking as he takes his fathers place as a bounty hunter and perhaps if maybe he does take a side.. or refuse to for an actual reason other than money. A bit like Han I guess except Han did not smuggle or kidnap or kill people for the money. He smuggled everything else. Boba smuggled blood really.

But something else got me...
    About this comment someone sent:
    Quote: I personally don't like how GL developed the whole relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. I was hoping for friendship, a brother/brother relationship or a father/son relationship, NOT a non-caring but giving person/whining brat relationship."
    RE: OK.. first off Anakin was NOT to be trained.
    The council said he was "dangerous". Obi argued with Quigon about this and Quigon ignored him.
    The ONLY reason Obi took him in was NOT because he wanted to give the boy a father figure, not because he wanted to train the boy, not because he thought Anakin should ever even BE trained.. but because he was forced to. He gave Quigon his WORD to do it as Quigon lay dying. He had to. And he was always afraid of Anakin because of the councils fears. Even Yoda was afraid to train the boy and only agreed when Obi said he had to do it anyway.
    So now Obi is forced to revolve his life around this boy. A boy who is unusually powerful and quite a handful. A boy who is lonely and afraid of losing his mother, a boy yoda says is full of fear and has a clouded future. A boy who has love for a girl and then later meets up with her again. Obi is frustrated, he just became a Jedi himself and now has this HUGE responsibility for the next 10-15 years of his life. Anakin is what you call bratty because he senses Obi is holding him back, he is alone except for the comfort of Obi, which is NOT much comfort. Obi is cold with him, when he has nightmares Obi says dreams pass.. thats real comforting. Dreams did NOT pass and she WAS dying and obi was too afraid to let anakin go with his feelings on this to let him get to her sooner.
    He underestimates Anakin because he is afraid to let him go and test his feelings.. So he keeps him away f

14. Tatooine_Gemini

Tatooine_Gemini Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004
    Most frustrating?
    I'll be honest. I go nuts when I hear people say that they don't understand how Anakin brings balance and that Luke is the hero. Luke is the son and he is a hero as well, but Vader is the one on the long hard journey. Torn in two, unable to be a normal person, handicapped, a slave to a Sith, and then confronted with his own son and made to promise to turn his son to the darkside or kill him. The story of Anakin/Vader IS the story of StarWars. The main plot is the life Anakin lives and WHY he goes through what life has him destined to go through.
    The most frustrating thing is when I hear others not understand HOW Anakin is the one who brings BALANCE.

Someone wrote: But if I wanted Anakin to stay good, and bring balance to the force in a positive way...she'd have to be out of the picture.

RE: You CAN'T bring BALANCE to the force in a POSITIVE way only. Thats impossible.

Anakin had to feel the force and listen to it lead him. The force was good and bad equally for a long time.. with jedi and sith (fallen jedi). Then the Jedi believed they had all the control.. because as the story goes they destroyed the Sith. Remember them saying in ep1 "the sith have been extinct for a millenium.." Well they were not. They were in hiding and one sith had the power and the influence in politics to take over the galaxy and eventually kill all the Jedi (as we will see in ep3). So suddenly the force was slipping into the darkside because of Sidious and the Sith. Anakin felt the force and he reflected the fall of the force with his own slow but eventual complete fall.

So he had to represent the force and understand its feeling and its powers (on both ends) in order to ever know which side to choose later when he chooses to kill Sidious. He is connected to the force more than anyother jedi and is born to do this. It is a hard destiny but in the end he survives.

"Balance"... think YIN YANG
    think good and bad, thick and thin, black and white.
    To have balance both sides must be Equal.
    First Anakin is born in a time when the darkside (through the Sith and Sidious) seeks to destroy all Jedi and have revenge someday soon... and destiny has it that they DO destroy the good Jedi and this brings the Force OUT of balance.

That is when Anakin is around. He is good... but then falls to the darkside right when the darkside powers have taken over.. they have become the more powerful side of the force and the force needs to go back to the good side.. at least enough to become balanced again. SO in the prophecy the Jedi know this time will come and one will come who will SOMEHOW bring balance back.

IF that someone (in the prophecy) was someone who could bring balance in a "good way" then that person would have been Luke and not Anakin/Vader.
    But It is not Luke. It IS Anakin. Lucas shows us how anakin reflects the destiny of the force by first being good and then being tempted and bending to become semi-bad, and then falling all the way to succumb to the power of the darkside.

So... Anakin knows the good side and the bad side very well. Too well. He understands what it feels like to depend upon the power of the good side and what it feels like to depend upon the power of the dark side. He has to know this and understand this in order to bring balance. You cannot just know good and bring BALANCE. Luke only knew the good side.. and as his father Vader said "You dont know the power of the dark side.. I MUST obey my master"
    There were obviously things that Luke did NOT understand... so at that moment when Anakin/Vader chose to destroy the darksides influences and off balance dictatorship by killing Sith Sidious he made that choice to make the force Equal again.

He let his son live and thus let the good side thrive again. The jedi would return and multiply and this meant Balance would return. Anakin had to first become evil to reflect what happened to the Force itself (that it fell off balance to the darkside) in order to bring the Force true balance again. Only he could understand what

15. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    The new song and dance number that was added to the SE of ROTJ with that hairy Yuzzum character.

16. Alowicious_ReX

Alowicious_ReX Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2004
    Most irritating character would have to be young Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd) sorry he beats out Jar Jar.

Most irritating scene is a tie between 3PO's lame jokes during the Battle of Geonosis (I'm quite beside myself, etc.) or Chewbacca's Tarzaan yell during the Battle of Endor. They both make me cringe.

Most irritating plotline..hmmm...Obi-Wan and Anakin's realtionship in the PT.

17. R2-12point

R2-12point Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2002
    Plotline: The Chosen One. It's adds nothing. There's no part of the PT story that couldn't be told without it. I don't mind midichlorians or the Rule Of Two or any of the other not-so-needed stuff, but the Chosen One thing feels like a needless nod to other, sometimes lesser materials, and it sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

Character: I'll go with Dooku. There are much more annoying characters, to be sure, but none so pivotal to the plot. I know next to nothing about this guy, and what I do know is sketchy.

Scene: This is too tough to decide and is best served with a list, topped by the Jabba's Palace rock number, the pod race (with announcer), and about every third, completely pointless scene in Clones (bus stop, Jedi Council redux, Queen visit, asteroid chase redux, etc., etc.)

I think of all the "What was George thinking!?!" moments, though, the top two spots belong to the OT era. The Christmas Special deserves top honors, with the Jedi rock number in second. Honorary mention goes to the Greedo "fix", but that was the modern era.

18. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    Plotline- I didn't like the fact that the model for the clone army had to be Boba Fett's father. Lucas should have just left Boba as he appeared in ESB and ROTJ- a masked assasin with an unknown past. This makes him mysterious, and therefore, more intriguing, IMO. Seeing Boba as a young boy took out a lot of the mystery of his character for me.

Character- Jar-Jar Binks, with Boss Nass and Mace Windu coming after him.

Scene- the musical scene inside Jabba's palace- it interrupted the film, unlike the Modal Nodes who are given a sort of close up, but are just playing in the background of the scene.

19. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    It has to be the Luke-Leia scene on Endor where he reveals that Leia is his sister. "I know, somehow I've always known". Yeah right! That's possibly one of the lamest lines in movie history and I'm embarassed that it's in ROTJ. Also she never reacts or makes a comment that Vader is HER father as well.

20. MasterWiYa

MasterWiYa Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    The Second Death Star, or "Death Star II". Whatever it was, come on!

I still enjoy RotJ, but I wish there was another idea instead (And yes I understand why Lucas did this, I have listened to the commentary).

21. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I have to add that Anakin's virgin birth and the midichlorians really bugged me. Making one's abilities connected to science seemed to contradict the Force- If it were that simple, couldn't someone get a transfusion of some sort and technically be a jedi? Jedi are born with their powers and the force is not something that one can reduce to facts and simple logic, IMO. It just seemed to take a lot of the "way of the Force" out of it.

Other characters I despised (Jar Jar being the king of my most disliked characters) were Yaddle (cringe) and Dooku.

Another irritating scene- sightseeing in Gunganland- "bigger fish" line really got me.

22. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I enjoyed pretty much everything in the Saga, but there is one scene I don't like.

The Speeder Bike chase in RotJ. I've watched all 5 movies countless times, but this is the only part that bores me.

23. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    probably the whole tatooine segment in TPM, it just drags on and on, way too long...
    I love the movie, dont get me wrong, but that part, I'm realy wondering why so many small parts of it are that blasted important to GL, maybe I find out after ROTS, who knows...

24. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    so many small parts of it are that blasted important to GL

Tokio, could you tell me what were the small parts exactly? I also thought Tattoine dragged on too long...initially.

25. Son_of_Jango

Son_of_Jango Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2004
    3 words

JAR JAR BINKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.