main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What Recent Star Wars Novel Have You Read? What was there about it that you enjoyed?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Nov 27, 2004.

1. DarthTwiztid

DarthTwiztid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2005
    Well im super excited cuz my buddy got me labyrinth of evil and rise of the dark lord for early christmas presents. Even better its dead at work and i have plenty of time to read :)

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    that will give you some great reading. I still have to get dark lord. I keep putting it off.. if I keep doing that the price will go up.

3. DarthTwiztid

Nov 28, 2005
    eh, i not any where near as passionate about the clone wars era characters/novels as i am the post movie books

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I have come to enjoy all the female characters the clone wars has given us... that helps to spur me on in reading the PT books. Though I too really prefer the OT EU books.

I am of equal feeling about all six movies though.

5. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    Last night, I finished 'Darksaber'. It was indeed the great book I remember. It kinda seems the last two books I read, along with the next one, are kinda like Revenge of the Sith and surrounding books. One author wrote the first, another the second, and the author of the first book wrote the third (if you can understand that,=D=), but it kinda is a trilogy of sorts. I certainly could not pick up 'Darksaber', read it, and completely understand it without reading 'Children' first, just like I cannot imagine reading ROTS without reading Labyrinth of Evil beforehand. 'Darksaber' also ends unfinished, just like the second book in a trilogy should. I am hoping 'Planet of Twilight' is the conclusion to this "trilogy" so that all will be set.

I was also surprised at the Empire in 'Darksaber'. At the end of the book, Pellaeon gets control over the Empire. The various warlords are dead and all of the loose ends are tied up within the Empire. The Empire is whole again. I also find it ahrd to believe that Pellaeon will fight the New Republic within the next 12 books and still maintain the dignity he has in the Hand of Thrawn series. I am now curious to read the next 12 books and find out what actually happens. Oh well, guess I have to now. Anyway, I now venture into 'Planet of Twilight' by the same author as 'Children of the Jedi'. I just hope this book does not end the same way as 'Children'. [face_praying]

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I seem to recall that of all the EU authors.. Babara Hambly is the least respected.

7. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Im starting the last Vader book, it's not at all what I expected, it's quite different and interesting.

8. DarthTwiztid

Nov 28, 2005
    So, im sitting here reading labyrinth of evil at work and i was shocked by the casual way at which Obi-wan mentions Zonoma Sekot and its dissaperance and the connection to Sienar and that they had been there. Then i remebered that at least Anakin had actually been there, because the planet was able to take on anakins form to interact with them. So couple this with the theroy that the Vong originated there and the republic at least knew of the planet. Its got my mind spinning and i cant nail down a solid theory about what really went down. I wish they would do a book at this story like they are going back and doing the much anticapted outbound flight story.

So does anyone have any speculations as to this information?

Also i have some theroys about the Dark Swarm Trilogy so far as to the information on R2 but i would like to see other peoples theroys before i throw mine out there.

9. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    'Rogue Planet' by Greg Bear is about Obi-wan and Anakin's journey to Zonoma Sekot. It takes place about three years after TPM. I haven't read it yet, so i don't know exactly what it is about. This book was actually written before any of the NJO stuff with Zonoma Sekot.

10. DarthTwiztid

Nov 28, 2005
    really? im glad i didnt read it before now then. Thanks for the info ill have to go check it out

11. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I just finidhed Dark Lord, and liked it. I didn;t liek how easily the only Jedi Mater the book dfollows gets so easily felled by force thrown debris, but I liked it nonetheless. Just when I though t I had it bas int he suit, hearing what he goes trough in detail actually makes me feel sorry for him.......well maybe not . Cat wanna borrow it?

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Damien just lent me his copy.. in fact I have thirty pages of Labyrinth left and then I start dark lord.. thank you for the offer though.. if damien had not beaten you to the punch I would have said yes.

13. DarthTwiztid

Nov 28, 2005
    woot i had to put labryinth down half finshed because The Swarm War came out but a day and a half later i have finished it so back to the labyrinth lol. Dark Lord is waiting in my desk when i finish this one.

SWARM WAR ROCKED!!!!!! just so everyone knows

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    on chapter six of dark lord now.. it would appear something Jack mentioned in another thread has semi come to pass in this book already... enjoying this book so far.. quite a lot in fact.

15. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    We're all glad to hear that SWARM WAR ROCKED,DT. Could you share some insights as to why? I'm going to be reading it either way.

Vangarian out

16. DarthTwiztid

Nov 28, 2005
    Well there were a few lightsaber duels that were incredible! Luke is the MAN! any ways i dont want to spoil the book so thats all im gonna say.

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I love spoilers.. just so everyone knows..you can post spoilers and do it by putting

********** spoiler alert*********** at the top of your post

and then tabbing down several times before starting the review or comments you have.. so we can choose to read or not read if we so desire.

18. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    chapter 18 page 112 of Dark Lord.. so far this book has me enthralled.. I only stopped reading because I am waiting on important email on the PF changs walk..

so far I find that the description of Vader's feelings is right on with what I have felt he should feel.. minus I wish he just could still believe he did not outright kill Padme.. and also that he was not so mixed up as to still think.. doing what he did was right.. at least he already senses he has just become a minion of Palpatine's and not really an equal.. poor Vader.. Poor Anakin

As for Roan and the other two Jedi.. so far.. I find Starstone to be of much more consequence than master Chatak was.. a quick end for her.. she should have been a lot more with it as a Jedi Master than she appeared to be.. and I don't mean as a duelist.. I mean in her thoughts.. and actions all the way around. I however..so far really like Roan.. he reminds me of Qui Gonn.

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Let me just say this.. Dark Lord was really a good book.. totally redeemed my faith in James Luceno.. Labyrinth was a disappointment except for a few chapters in the beginning and the end chapters were at least quick paced and entertaining..

but Dark Lord.. this book delivered. this book said so much.. and I read it in five hours!!! I always know a book is good when I can read it that fast and get so much from it.
    I won't go as far as saying what DSJ said about this book should have been ep 3.. because we needed the background of the senate and the story of Padme... though sadly.. GL missed the point on that as well.. he deleted the most important parts of EP3.. anyway.. the high points..

***SLIGHT SPOILERS ALERT***

I really liked the character of Roan..he reminded me of the Jedi of the past..I do think his finding his mother was just filler.. it was not much needed in my opinion. I never felt anything for Chatak.. not sure I would have even if she had lived longer.. and Starstone just about did me in.. she was so trying and exasperating .. but she served a purpose.. to show us the desperation of the Jedi and the trial that was faced.. and the disbelief of the circumstances they found themselves in.. someone had to be that character.. the character that would just not listen to reason.. or believe the truth as it stands.. it was sad that she had to learn in such a hard way..

Vader's storyline played out so close to what I have imagined he would be thinking.. and his grief and dispair was palpable.. and then when he finally got it.. and the same with Palpatine.. to know now that it is that Palpatine just considers Vader a sad replacement for what would have been.. and will use him until he finds something better.. and that Vader once he gets it.. knows the time will come that he will take Palps out..
    when Vader revealed all to Roan.. that was just GREAT!! Played out beautifully and had me on the edge of my seat. Also.. kind of showed the level of competition between how Tarkin and Vader come into their situation.

Now we KNOW how Chewbacca finds his way into the livlihood of smuggling.. and why he did it.

and to have those brief glimpses into the lives of Leia and Luke..how telling of the future.. and then

to have Obi Wan discover Vader is still alive.. and the way it unfolded.. truly good storytelling at it's finest..

so good.. so much better than I ever expected it to be.

20. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well, finished 'Planet of Twilight' today at around 1:00. I just have to say I am glad it is over, and I will not be reading it again for a very, very long time. That was one of the worst pieces of literature I have ever read, though the ending was very informative, and all of the information that you can get out of the book was in the last thirty pages. That right there is one of the main reasons I hated this book. Cat was right at the RPG, I was ready to put the book down and say "screw this, I'm going on to something better" but then I would miss out on something important that would have drastic repercussions in future novels. I absolutely hate that, it was garbage until the end, and then it was good. Not much to tell about the novel itself, but ****spoilers ahead****

The ending was unbelievably important because it showed Leia beginning to accept her Jedi heritage. Throughout the book, she was afraid to use the Force, not because it causes massive storms on the planet she was on, but because she was afraid she would become another Vader. Callsita helped Leia realize that she was not Vader, nor anyone else, Leia is Leia. (Important life fact there, you are your own person). Once Leia accepted this, she started to open herself up to the Force and all its wonders. Leia also started to trust that her children would make the right decisions (sp?) later in life and not turn into another Vader. This is a major point in the SW Universe because now Leia gets to learn the ways of the Force, and Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin are also allowed to begin their training in the Force.

Though I did find one thing interesting about this book, it was published after all subsequent books (excluding Hand of Thrawn and Starfighters of Adumar). I guess Barbara Hambly tried to make this ending point more concrete, much like Dave Wolverton made Han and Leia's marriage concrete even after Timothy Zhan had the two of them making twins. Oh well, I am currently about 100 pages into 'Starfighters of Adumar' and am thoroughly enjoying it. My Mondays and Wednesdays have a three hour break for me to read in, so I do. I finally got 'Dark Lord' today as well, but will save that for after 'Crystal Star' because that book is up next. Well, TTFN, and Happy Reading.

21. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    don't be too dissappointed by Crystal Star.. I think one of the main issues is just that female writers leave something to be desired in the SW EU.. or the three I have read do in any case. they don't write with the same bite as the males do.. though I have to say.. James Luceno never hit a homer with me until Dark Lord.

22. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't know, I think one of the main problems is that these great OTHER SCI-FI authors attempt a SW book and fail miserably, thus threatening their reputation. I know Vonda McIntyre is a great author of other Sci-Fi novels, but SW is not you ordinary Sci-Fi series. I am not looking forward to Crystal Star because you all say it is not that good, which is why I am saving 'Dark Lord' for after that novel. I feel that I will get through it faster if I know I have something good lined up right afterwards.

23. DarthTwiztid

Nov 28, 2005
    ACK i seemed to have misplaced my copy of labryith of evil, this sucks i was over half way through it. I dont wanna start dark lord till i finish it either! oh well i got text books to read anyways :(

24. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    Well. I finally get to play catchup with you DarthTwiztid. I finally got my ordered copy of "The Joiner King". So like I'm definitely looking foreward to some major Jedi ROCK! Heh heh.

25. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    I JUST finished 'Starfighters of Adumar', and I mean just finished, like five minutes ago. I just have to say that this book is a masterpiece. I had a three hour break today between two classes, so I just read. I could not believe how fast the book went. When I started, I was like, "Oh Dear, this is going to be slow. Look, its already page 60 and Wedge has already failed as an ambasador. God I hope this isn't dragged out for the next 200 pages." Well, I was wrong. I got to about thirty pages from the end, hated myself because I had three minutes to get ot class, and was like "Whoa..." It was that good. A great book to follow the junk that was 'Planet of Twilight'. As of tomorrow, I am starting 'Crystal Star' (shudders at thought). Then, as an incentive to get through it faster, 'Dark Lord' is next. Well, TTFN.