main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What religion are you?

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by carmenite42, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I was raised Catholic but I'm having a crisis of faith.

2. StarWars_Revelation

StarWars_Revelation Jedi Master star 5

Aug 5, 2001
    If you'd like to talk about your faith crisis, drop me a pm. You probably won't though... no one ever does. Anyways, I'm Christian. Lutheran, to be exact.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I'm confimred as a Catholic.
    I don't really follow it. I go to church with the family but I have my own ideas.
    I believe in the Big Bang, Evolution, Genetics, All humans originated in Africa from the bushmen tribe (new genetic evidence for this theory.) I surly don't believe in Judgement day. I have my doubts about Jesus. I don't trust anything the Bible.

I do believe that is is possible for a God. If there is a God, I am not vain enough to think that man has a place in an afterworld. 17 years ago I was nothing and I imagine death as quite the same. It would be nice however if there was a heaven. I believe there is a God but that he is really one of laissez faire and that man is in control of his own destiny. That the world is what we make of it.

Anyway I don't mean to bore you with any of this or insult any of you. 95% of humanity has a religion and I respect that. I do believe in a God, don't get me wrong. I respect organized religions I am not trying to bash anyone.

What sort of crisis Carmen. I am always having a crisis with religion.

-Seldon

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Atheist. I was once a follower in the church, but over the past two or few years my views have changed so rapidly, i don't bring that up much.

5. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Non-denominational Christian.

I was raised and confirmed Catholic, still am in a broad sense, but if I had continued looking at Christianity through the perspectives of Catholicism, I never would've found my faith.

6. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I'm Christian

AYBABTU

7. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Raised Christian (I don't want to get specific just to avoid hassle for all), but now I'm kind of almost anti-God. I believe He exists, but I don't get along with Him at all is a good way to put it I guess. I think His rules are too strict and I don't intend to try to keep them. So basically at this point I figure I'm going to hell regardless, so I'll do whatever I want to do.

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    I'm the same and different all in the same perspective. A few years ago, i believed in God and everything, now i can't say i believe in God, Heaven or Hell at all.

9. StarWars_Revelation

Aug 5, 2001
    Rules? How are his rules too strict?

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    There are things in life more important than following the blind man.

I'll let Jjanda answer the rest considering that question was pointed at her in the first place.

11. StarWars_Revelation

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah, that was kind of rude of you.

12. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I don't think we should question anyone's beliefs. Jjanda has a right to her own beliefs just as much as any of us.

13. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Try reading the Bible. To look at someone and hate them is to commit murder as far as God's concerned, and to lust after them is adultery as far as He's concerned. In fact, "whatever is not from faith is sin". Whoever has sinned in one point is guilty of all (that's more or less a quote from the Bible, not sure of exact words). Whatever is good, pure, true, etc. etc., meditate on these things. God wants even our every single thought to be in line with exactly what He wants. And I say **** that, I want to live my own life.

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Yeah, that was kind of rude of you.

I have the right to my own opinions, as rudely stated as they may be.

15. StarWars_Revelation

Aug 5, 2001
    I was kidding, SoME.

16. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Don't forget that according to the Bible, the creation of light came a few days before the creation of the stars and sun.

-Seldon

17. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Have you ever tried to make a sun in the dark? Sure it's easy now that God did all the grunt work, but you can't fault him for setting up the proper work lighting to get the job done right, particularly with OSHA around, still fuming from tripping all over the chaos and what not.

18. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Seldon light is not a function of stars, you can verify this by turning on any of the lights in your own home or by lighting a match or candle.

Light existed before the first star was born since it is just electromagnetic radiation that our eyes are tuned to and such radiation has sources other then stars.

19. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Was raised Baptist. Is Christian, more modern day. Agree mostly with Christian beliefs but combined with a bit of Hinduism and Buddhism. I really take alot from my beliefs that I was raised with but from my own knowledge and research into it from those other two religions. Which most Baptist or your everyday today Christian would tell you I'm wrong in combining the three but there really isn't. The teachings and practices of these really do help bring calm to at least my hectic life.

~PK~

20. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Farraday are you impling that God used a flash light. If there is a god then would he need to see something to do it? He could just create the stars.

The Bible says that the Earth was in light. Sure I can illuminate a room or a building with artificial light sources, but can you light the entire planet without a star? I don't think so.

I am giving you my opinions. I am sure you have your own.

I think God created the universe, knowing that earth like planets and intelligent life forms would eventually form. I don't think he came over and made the Alps or the Great Lakes.

-Seldon

21. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Why are you limiting God to light sources as you understand them?

AYBABTU

22. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Seldon.

Stars. Are. Not. The. Only. Natural. Causes. Of. Light.

Please understand visable light is em radiation our eyes are attuned to, anything that creates radiation of that length causes visable light.

Nebulas for example. One could reasonably assume that some of the radiation caused by the event which created the universe was in the visable light spectrum.

Please find credible complaints, thanks.

23. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Okay fine but what keeps the Earth stable. I will agree that there could be light, but how stable are things without a star to hold us in gravity. Some lifeforms are walking across the surface of our world and we have light, but there is nothing keeping the Earth stable. We are just spiraling across lightyears? Is that what your saying? I think it is a quite valid argument that things cannot be calm without the sun.

You all have your beliefs but I think to say there are not inaccuracies in the bible both with scientific fact and with dating, it to avoid valid evidence withing the text.

-Seldon

24. StarWars_Revelation

Aug 5, 2001
    I'd like to see some actual, real, undisputed scientific proof against the Bible, Seldon. Something so concrete against it that it could be considered a scientific law, if you will.

If you can think of anything that can be PROVEN to be inaccurate in the Bible, please tell me. And I mean PROVEN, not something like "Well, the whole raising the dead thing", which can't be proven for or against since no one living was there.

25. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    We all have our own beliefs.
    An example of a Bible contradiction is,
    Matthew and Luke are traced to the same ancestral line of Jesus back to King David. For Matthew there are twenty-eight generations between David and Jesus. For Luke there are forty-three. On both familiy trees there were different names. Contradicting genealogies.

Another thing is with the Bible, now this is just one example, the Egyptians know from one look that the baby floating in the basket down the river is Jewish.

Now the Old Testament contradicts Science many times over and I don't feel like outlining every single time.

The main reason why I don't like the Bible is for simple things. Throw science out the door for a minute. Totally personal reasons. In the Adam and Eve story, God did not want them to have knowledge. The God that the authors potray wanted to keep humans ignorant. He did not want to gift them with the gift of information which is both a blessing and a curse. That is not the type of God I want. The God in the Bible feels fine about drowning the entire world over and over again. The God of the Bible will send Jesus to Earth again to judge the "living and the dead." Basically by the Bible, God decides when life on Earth should end. I don't understand why the creator would ever want to end his creation. It is not logical at all. Basically I don't believe in Judgement day. I don't have faith in the God of the Bible.

-Seldon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.