main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to do if you are banned.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by IronParrot, Sep 22, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I get physically sick when I'm banned! :D

2. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    UP! Sorry, been slacking due to geog, geog and more geog...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
  4. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
  5. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    :) Yay geog exam is over, my holidays have started, and now I can up the threads big time! :)

6. sianara

sianara Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2001
    Hey! - I use a school comp most of the time which a lot of other people have access to... I know at least 3 other people on the boards but theres no way I can have control over what they write at the same computer. I'd never actually thought about this, but if one of us gets IP banned that'll take the rest of us out?

What can I do to prevent this?

7. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    then your screwed.

8. Korzeniowski

Korzeniowski Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2001

I now understand what to do if I am banned, but what do I do if I am stupid?

9. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Then your banned.

10. epic_the_ewok

epic_the_ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2000
    What if *I* ban somebody?!? What then? Are they only quasi-banned? ?[face_plain]

11. AlienAcid

Nov 27, 2000
    Then they laugh at you.

12. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Hey! - I use a school comp most of the time which a lot of other people have access to... I know at least 3 other people on the boards but theres no way I can have control over what they write at the same computer. I'd never actually thought about this, but if one of us gets IP banned that'll take the rest of us out?

Yes, it will. It depends on whether the IP address of each school computer is exactly the same for the first part (which I think so), but anyway it probably will mean that you won't be able to use the computers.

I now understand what to do if I am banned, but what do I do if I am stupid?

You'll be banned if you do something stupid while you're banned (posting under another username).

What if *I* ban somebody?!? What then? Are they only quasi-banned?

JW, is this one of your socks or am I just confused?

13. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I, for one, rarely ban people. Maybe I'm too soft, but I just give 'em a warning and make a note of it.

14. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    Well, Nate, I don't know about "soft", but a word of caution in due course certainly can turn a bad situation into a better one, so it's all good. It's neither efficient nor appropriate to use the iron fist in a situation where the velvet glove would serve better.

Your method is sufficient in a lot of cases, I think...

15. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I think you do a good job, Nate, happy with the way you do things.

16. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I certainly don't ban people just because I can. In fact, I've only banned two people so far. None of the people I've given warnings to have given me any problems since.

17. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
  18. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Ok, the numbers have changed since that last post but the original premise still stands. :p

19. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    Uppers (because it was so useful to me).

From my recent entering into banhood (ban-mitzvah?), I'm left seeing some contradictions...

First, as per the official Rules and Regulations:

If you are banned from this system, do not continue to post here under an alias. If you are found to be doing so, the duration of your ban will be doubled and/or the ban will be upgraded to an IP ban, which will prevent anyone in your local area from using this service.

Does this mean that smaller bans are usually given out first, then are upgraded to IP-bans? Or is it custom to just IP-ban from the get go, no matter what the problem is?

And later (this has been mentioned in this thread)

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you are responsible for your username under all circumstances.

Earlier, someone said this means no "my brother posted under my username" excuses. But are we also "solely responsible" for our entire IP? For every other user with his/her own unique username, that happens to share our IP? I ask this, because if IP-bans are now the most frequent kind, even for minor offences, there could conceivably be lots of people getting dragged down.

20. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    This was written quite some time ago. I believe what IronParrot was referring to was a "host ban", which we used to be able to do, but no longer can. That was the most serious ban, as it would wipe out any users who had that ISP.

Basically, I always IP ban, unless the host address is one from a major provider (AOL). If I happen to catch someone else by accident with the IP ban(1 in 100 times, perhaps), I remove the IP ban, and use simply a name ban. However, in the case of same-household bans, the IP ban will likely remain, because otherwise, people will wise up, and instead of saying "My little brother did it," we'd be getting "my girlfriend did it".

Vertical

21. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    "My girlfriend did it" Heh heh, very clever. I hope you're not mad about that whole thing, still. And I really do have a girlfriend! Really! She's not just a sock!

Anyway, thanks for clarifying.

22. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    OK, Vert, so you'll be updating this, right?

"My gf did it"... wait 'til it happens to Vert! ;) (j/k)

23. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
  24. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
  25. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    keo, I don't think you need to up this thread anymore, I think Vert's thread is an updated version of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.