main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What was the coolest SW item you found in Tucson?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by GrandAdmiral_Frank, Aug 21, 2008.

1. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    We'll do.

I always see holographic Dooku and various Ctroopers too if you're interested.

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    If I had the money for them I would.. but my husband has me on a tight budget right now.. only female star wars character toy buying allowed.

3. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    I will look for it then. PM your number so I cans call you.

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    done, and thank you bunches.

5. esahr8

esahr8 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2008
    Just a couple weeks ago I found a bunch of the old Decipher SW CCG cards at Bookmans for $8. 'Twas a good find. Made up for the colossal lack of books in the SW section compared to what Phoenix Bookmans had.

6. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    Hiya! Everyone else: This is Eric (ok, I didn't actually learn his name until today). Met him at school today. He went to CIV, too. Saw my shirt, saw me reading a SW book, said hello. So HELLO!

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Hi Eric. Welcome!! :)

8. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    I got two things at Bookmans also. An old Collectible from Episode IV when it was first made: Luke in his suit on Dagobah.

The SSecond thing was from when Episode 1 when it was made: Obi-Wan as a Padawan

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Bookmans is great for finding Star Wars stuff. I can't tell you how many times we have picked up great stuff there, my favorite time being when we found the ceramic stormtrooper coffee mug.

10. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    My favorite think I found was a Bookmans in Phoenix, it's a Star Wars Empire Strikes Back Screenplay book. I've never seen anything like it (a search on eBay only came up with one) so it's pretty cool.

11. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    I think I have one like that, it might be a radio drama book. However if I remember it was very much like a play written format.

12. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    Nah this is actually from the movie. I think its from "Empire" or "Premiere" magazine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-1994-Movie-Script-Book-Empire-Strikes-Back_W0QQitemZ160282519166QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

^There is a eBay link with a picture.

Found it in the childrens book section at Bookmans. I was walking by when by Star Wars-dar picked up a Star Wars logo, and I spotted it.

13. Hero_Of_The_Force

Aug 22, 2008
    Whats the best section to find the SW items in Bookmans?

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    my opinion is kind of all over. End caps often have good stuff.

15. Hero_Of_The_Force

Aug 22, 2008
    I found like three mugs (Didn't buy... yet). I got as I said before a Luke Figure and Obi-wan thing. You'll see my post above. And I saw the Adio caset for blind peopel who cant see. I don't think I will buy that...

16. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    Well there's the novels in the books section, be sure to check both paperback and hardback, which are usually in different places. 'Making of' or art books are usually located with the hardbacks as a result of their large size. Action figures and other collectibles are usually in toys, but have also popped up in the games section and once in electronics.

I've found that by far the best Bookmans for SW items is the Bookmans in Phoenix. They have an entire area devoted to Star Wars there, and I've made some good finds. (Like a nice Ralph McQuarrie art book, but not the one they were selling at C4.)

17. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    In the Tucson bookmans generally the sci-fi/fantasy section is where you go. They will have the series in alphabetical order so Star Wars will be right next to Star Trek. There have been times I found a selection of books I needed. The problem is once you have as many books as I have you go to Bookmans only to find an endless supply of Crystal Star, Truce at Bakura, or X-Wing books. The comic book section is a mess in itself however I have found Star Wars comics of every title in there. Usually people bring an entire load of comics so they go into rotation with the others and that was how I could find almost all the Star Wars Droids comics. They have specific toy sections and generally carry The Phantom Menace toys from what I've seen. I have found original VHS collections of the OT and I even found a CD that had the Star Wars disco version. There's also RPG books you'll find next to videogame guides.

18. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    Ah yes, I forgot about the roleplaying books in that section.

Although I've found the Grant Bookmans to be a bit lacking for pretty much everything. (Although it's not really their fault since its the original location and is about the size of the DVD section of the Bookmans in Mesa) The Star Wars section for books was a mere one shelf, which pales in comparison to some of the other Bookmans stores.

Alas, it is the only one within walking distance since I don't have a car down here.

19. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    I know how that is. BTW, cathiecat I may be working tonight since I had vacation time so I'll be on the lookout should I find something. I did actually find the Padme legacy collection at the Star Tours gift shop, alas I figured you probably did not want to fly, drive, or walk to Orlando for it.

20. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    As luck would have it I have that particular one already. If it is the three figure set. Though Disney was supposed to have a special Padme' and Leia doll set. Pretty unique looking, I think they sold out rather quickly though.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d164/padawansguide/sww.jpg

I will want the fourth wave Padme' which I saw once in a link from the collecting forum, but it has since been changed and now you can't see the photos of the fourth wave anymore. It was from this thread.
    http://boards.theforce.net/collecting/b10004/28069781/p4

21. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    At Walmart they have a display with various figures and an A-wing that was just a display in a plastic case. It's sitting in the managers office and I am going to ask what they plan to do with it. They will probably feed me some BS about how it has to be sent back or how one of the managers kids loves Star Wars even though there is a high chance that that kid will grow out of it by high school and have the remains sold or thrown away as opposed to an actual collector getting it.

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    it happens like that so often. I was grateful to get my Vader window cling from Burger King . Wherever we have lived since 2005 the window cling is in our window showing the world at large how much we love Star Wars.

23. Methodical

Methodical Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    Cool things I have found in Tucson...let's see...

I just picked up 5 sets of the orginal WEG Grenadier figurines at Heroes and Villians charity auction. At the same time I got the Gentle Giant "What's is your bidding, my master?" Darth Vader figurine.

At the Park Mall, in the card shop by the food court I've found many gold coin figures. I think I have all the Vader gold coins now, along with the regular silver coins. That guys ALWAYS has really hard to find stuff. Check him out.

Bookman's is a treasure trove, as some have said. I found a first edition Star Wars: A New Hope novel in there. I thought I was going crazy when I found it. Then, like two months later, I found another. I gave that one to my godson. How the kriff two first editions ended up in the same Bookman's in Tucson is beyond me. It really made up for the forty copies of Crystal Star they have.

And I love R-Galaxy. They've always got great vintage stuff in there. Just be prepared to pay through the teeth for it. I like to spend a while in there, digging around. I've found some great things hidden in the back of boxes, or in other sections. I think folks come in, find something they like, but don't have the money right then, so they try to hide it. Too bad. I can smell Vader from fifty yards away.

Oh, and maybe the coolest ever...I was in one of the second hand sstores one day with my wife while she was looking through Mickey Mouse stuff. I asked the ladt behind the counter if she has any Star Wars stuff. She shrugs, then checks under the counter and tosses up a unopened Empire Strikes Back Darth Vader. I was, like, holy crap (to myself). I asked her what she wanted for it and she said five bucks. LOL~! Score!

24. GrandAdmiral_Frank

Aug 26, 2003
    Let's see the coolest item...oh wait I'm playing catch up with bills so I don't have a current story, damn. Still workin' at Walmart if any is interested. The only cool things I have seen are some Ctroopers and Jodo Kast, they're laggin' in that section right now.

25. esahr8

Oct 8, 2008
    So I started reading the last book of NJO (The Unifying Force by James Luceno). I picked this copy up at Bookmans at a steep discount (as usual) in Phoenix.

Imagine my dismay when my prized hardcover copy had been written in. Then I actually read what was written:

To Andy,
    Master of NJO Trivia...
    Best Regards,
    James Luceno

So apparently I now have a signed copy of a Star Wars book by one of my favorite SW authors.

Thought I'd share that with you guys, even if I did pick it up in Phoenix.