main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What would you add/subtract to make the Prequels better?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthEmpron, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I would take away some of the poorly written dialogue between Anakin and Padme, specifically during Episodes II and III.

I would slightly alter the fight between Mace and Sidious (if seen it a bunch and read posts regarding whether or not Sidious let it all happen) because I'm still a it confused.

And I would add about 15 minutes to Revenge of The Sith. I love ROTS, but I feel as though the ending was rushed. I know the run time was well over 2 hours, but I think another 10-15 minutes could have helped the pace at the end of the film.

2. Sethian Eber

Sethian Eber Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    There are awkward lines, but even the OT has some pretty lousy dialogue and awkward lines. The difference is people learned to love them in the OT and vilified the prequels for it (double standards). To be completely fair, the Han/Leia relationship worked a lot better than Anakin/Padme and didn't suffer from awkward dialogue. IMHO I think GL was trying too hard because Titanic was a love story and it surpassed SW at the box office thus it became a mini obsession to surpass Titanic. AOTC and ROTS could definitely have been improved by a better writer for those specific scenes. It's not that the love story is unbelievable (some claim it is, but I don't see it like that), it's just the poor lines in those scenes makes us cringe. Or laugh. Or if you've seen the films enough times, you just ignore it. But it is still there. In the OT, I never did like the 'your worship' references although some would argue that Harrison Ford makes it work. The "he's my brother" exchange was lame in ROTJ. In SW her "you came in that thing? you're braver than I though.... he certainly has courage" bothered me as a teen because it's lame. But like I said, people love the bad lines in the originals for whatever reason.

As for ROTS, I hated it in 2005. Saw it on HBO later than year and couldn't finish it. After seeing it recently, I think it's my favorite SW film at the moment. Don't know what was wrong with me in 2005. I think the ending was fine, it did what it needed to do.

3. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    ^^ I definitely agree that the OT has some pretty lousy dialogue, especially between Han and Leia "I don't know where you get your delusions, laser brain" etc. Most of the dialogue between them is very good, but I do agree that the relationship between them worked better than with Anakin/Padme. Perhaps it was some of the prequel dialgoue or just the chemisty between the actors. And I'm not trying to hate on either trilogy, but I just think that the bad dialogue in the prequels didn't work as well as with the OT.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember comments along the lines of AOTC being "Titanic in space" as if that would be a good thing, in 2000 or so. Titanic gets a lot of flack now but it was very well reviewed then.

As far as the two love stories, we're talking about characters with very different backgrounds and personalities. It could be said that Padme and Leia have similar backgrounds but their widely differing personalities still make the story very different from the outset, and Han and Anakin--the only thing they have in common is that they are both smartasses and they both love machinery.

The lines in the fireplace scene made me cringe, or at least Anakin's lines did--I felt sorry for Hayden for having to spout crap that sounded like it came from a very bad imitation of a Shakespeare play. It made Padme's line, "We live in the real world, come back to it," more poignant. Yeah, Anakin, in the real world nobody talks that way.

But at the same time, I took most of Anakin's awkwardness in all the AOTC scenes as normal for someone who has absolutely no experience with women, has never even watched anyone close to him trying to get a date (not something that happens in the Jedi Temple), and is so head-over-heels in love that he can't see straight. In that context the awkwardness isn't quite as cringe-worthy.

Han, OTOH, was almost 30 years old and most likely had plenty of experience with women before meeting Leia.

5. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I used to think Han and Leia were fun, but I was rewatching ANH & TESB recently and caught myself thinking that it's all very silly. In ANH, they can barely stand each other. In ESB, they're suddenly madly in love? What happened in between? We couldn't we see more progress? And many of their lines are really corny. They get a pass only because of the chemistry and a general "fun" level. Besides, they don't bring the movie to the standstill they way the Naboo scenes do.

Portman and Christensen actually had a few good scenes together AOTC (the picnic and most of the stuff after leaving Naboo). If only GL toned down the purple prose on Naboo...

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Same thing happened with Luke and Mara.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    She kissed her brother.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Yuck!!!!

9. CC-8917

CC-8917 Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    I would add more of Anakin's origin. More on his birth (planet because we know that he and Shmi come to Tattooine from somewhere else). They were "sold" as Anakin told Padme, so there's a definitely a story there. We meet Anakin when he's 9 years old seeing him as an infant and toddler would be interesting especially with his "force powers".

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    it's almost like you didn't know.

11. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    maybe as a flashback, if possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.