main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena What's the first Super Bowl you remember watching?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by JMJacenSolo, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Include your year of birth and the year the game was played.

I vaguely remember (extremely vaguely) watching Super Bowl XXVIII, the second of the Cowboys victories over the Bills. Born in 1987, game in 1994.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I was born in 1986 and the first one I distinctly remember was XXX.

But that's because the Steelers were playing. I don't know if I watched before then, but I don't remember watching any.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Super Bowl XXVII in 1993, because it was played at the Rose Bowl, and I knew 2 people who went to the game.............I was born in 1986.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I have some memories of watching XX-XXIV, but the first one I have vivid memories of is XXV ... Bills-Giants, and the Norwood miss. Fitting that a Cleveland-born sports fanatic would have his first vivid Super Bowl memory of the most painful loss in Super Bowl history.

Born in '81

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I think I'm in the same boat as Inty. My brother was a 49ers fan and I remember the Bills going to four Super Bowls in a row and losing. My mom would've for sure had the Cowboys ones on. So somewhere around there.

Edit: Born in '83

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Born in 86. First Super Bowl I remember watching was XXV, in 1991. Scott Norwood, wide right. I watched every Super Bowl after that until I quit sports cold turkey on January 1st, 2009. I haven't watched a single sporting event since then.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Giants-Bills.

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Born in '80. I remember the craziness in Denver leading up to Super Bowl XXI (Broncos-Giants). John Elway was about to play in his first Super Bowl after leading the Broncos on "The Drive" to beat Cleveland in the AFC Championship. I remember a TV station came to my elementary school and filmed a bunch of kids wearing Broncos gear for the evening news. I even remember the only two Giants fans in my whole class who got made fun of because they were all decked out in Giants stuff. However, I don't remember watching the game itself.

I do however remember the following year when the Broncos were in the Super Bowl again against the Redskins. John Elway threw a touchdown pass on their first play from scrimmage while my mom was busy vacuuming in the other room. I don't think she even knew the game had started. She came into the room and asked if anything had happened yet, and I said something like "John Elway threw a big pass for a touchdown" and she started screaming. Of course her enthusiasm was only temporary, as the Redskins scored 35 points in the 2nd quarter and the game was over by half time.

9. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Giants vs. Bills. Wide right!

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Giants-Ravens in 2000. I probably watched the ones before, but I don't remember if I did or not.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It was when the Bills made it to the Super Bowl 4 years in a row but never won. I can't recall when exactly that was, but that was my first Super Bowl memory.

12. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Great post, Grimby.

I actually only remember XXVIII because my brother was a huge Bills fan and I remember he was really excited that they were winning at halftime. That didn't turn out so well.

I definitely remember the next year's game, XXIX--Niners vs. Chargers--, with no qualifications like that, though.

13. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Born: 1973

First Super Bowl I remember: XV, 1981. Raiders over Eagles, 27-10. (First SB wild-card win.)

This is probably because I was born in Oakland and have been a lifelong Raider fan, so my family, classmates, neighbors, etc. were very excited for the game.

Now will somebody older than me *cough*Rhonderoo*cough* please post so I don't feel so lonely with my ancient memories? :p

14. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    Born in 1979.

The first one I remember is Super Bowl XX. Da Bears beating the crap out of the Patriots. We might have watched the game in the years before, but I don't remember any of them. It probably helps that I grew up a Bears fan, and the 85 Bears were a big deal here in Illinois. However, I also remember it because at one point I flipped out about wanting to watch a movie (possibly Star Wars) instead of the game, and my parents sent me to my room. I ran to my bed room, threw my Bears sweater across the room at my Jim Mcmahon poster and figured out a plan to get back at my evil family. I promptly took the Tyco remote control car I had recieved for Christmas that winter, and stuck a note to my family in the spoiler. The note read, "I hate the Bears and I hope they lose." Peeking out of my room, I watched as the car crept down the hall, and disappeared into the living room. I heard my Dad laugh, then I heard my Mom and brother laugh. Upon hearing their laughter, I immediately burst in to tears, feeling a great amount of guilt over betraying my beloved Bears. My greatest fear was that my note had some how cursed them, and that they were now losing the game. Sobbing, I ran into the room and begged my father to forgive my traitorous ways. He laughed and told me that it was okay, they knew I didn't mean it. I took the car back to my room, threw away the note, and put my sweater back on, after I apologized to the Punky QB. I returned to the family room, carrying my Bears pennant with me to make sure my family knew that I wasn't a traitor (or worse, a Packers fan). I made sure to cheer extra loud, and never again did I turn my back on the Bears.

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    As a new fan, the first one I ever watched was XLI.

16. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I was born in 86... I know for a fact I've been watching the superbowl every year since I was 4 because my mother and older brother tell me I have. But unfortunately I have probably the worst memory of all time for someone who's never smoked weed and the earliest one I can actually remember watching is Giants vs. Ravens. Yes... my memory is that bad.

17. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I was born in 1990. The 1st superbowl I remember watching was the Broncos/Packers. I was pulling for the Packers.

18. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I was born in 1987 but I'm a new football fan. The first Super Bowl I really sat and watched was Super Bowl XL during my freshman year of college. A girl I got to be friends with is a Steelers fan and, being a Browns fan, I just wanted to see them lose. That didn't go so well.

19. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    The first Super Bowl I remember seeing on TV was Super Bowl XI in 1977. Oakland Raiders over the Minnesota Vikings 32-14 in the Rose Bowl.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was born in 1971.

20. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I meant to say I was pulling for the Broncos.

Every one of my earliest sports memories cone from the year 1998. France World Cup, Nagano winter olympics, the Sosa vs McGwire home run chase. 3-8 Clemson football.

age 7 is the age of reason of whatever I guess

21. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    Man, so only three of us were born in the 70's! This threads just makin' me feel old.

22. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    I'm still waiting for someone to come in and say they watched an NFL or AFL Championship Game ;)

23. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Maybe we should ask Philip. :p

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    and here I was gonna suggest a few current/former female mods, but feared the response. :p

25. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.