main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Wheel of Time (No AMoL spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by NYCitygurl, Oct 28, 2012.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    60% into "The Dragon Reborn" and we meet Aviendha. I love the reread and relearning HOW things happen, because my mind is fuzzy on a lot.

2. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Finished up Path of Daggers and am starting Winter's Heart or as I think of it "Perrin and the Subplot of DOOM."

In rereading the series, I'm surprised at how much I like Galad. Yeah, he's kinda an ass, but he's refreshing. With hime there's no moanig over the opposite sex, heck, with him there's no whining at all. You always know what to expect with Galad.

NYCitygurl and SWpants666 like this.
  3. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Elayne's thoughts on Galad skew him quite a bit at first. Then even she admits he's not so bad, just terribly correct and 'noble.' I didn't notice that about him before you pointed it out!
    I think that may be a reason why he's so good for Egwene. She doesn't overuse the "men!" complaints like Nynaeve is wont to do, but she also has a very hot demeanor. He grounds her...and she gives him a bit more flexibility

I just finished Dragon Reborn and Mat's enthusiasm and curiosity is so childlike that coupled with his, mmm...inappropriate thoughts and words, it makes him a very fun character to read. He also has the best quotes. I have over 20 (I didn't count) favourite quotes/sayings from the book and most are from Mat.

“Women are odd, but Aiel women make odd seem normal!” – page 668 (PB)

I definitely love reading him now that he's out of the influence of the dagger, and his usual snarky self.

(Do we still need to put up spoiler alerts for the first few books?)

The depression and chaos throughout the cities and neighboring towns sets the tone very well. This is a world-wide issue that all citizens are dealing with. There's inflation, famine, and crazy weather. It's a great foreshadowing of what is yet to come.

4. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I have a theory as to why Perrin's story turns out quite a bit different than Rand's & Mat's. Let me know what you think.

In The Shadow Rising, Mat is still not ready to accept the fact that Rand (and he and Perrin) are ta'varen & therefore affect each other in various ways. Perrin accepts that almost from the start. So when news of the Two Rivers being overrun by Whitecloaks reaches them, Perrin talks to Rand about it, and they agree that Perrin should go to their families. Perrin feels the pull to be with Rand, but Rand essentially gives permission to stretch that bond as far as it can do. Mat is unwilling to do that, and the pull is so strong, he can't even think about leaving.

All of their stories are quite different, but I seem to recall Mat's and Rand's paralleling each other more than Perrin's and the other's. Couple that with Perrin's 'other' mind of the wolves, which is stronger than what Mat channels, and Perrin's fate changes.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't even remember her in The Dragon Reborn 8-} I just remember her starting in #4.

Technically, we don't have to spoiler-tag anything; these books came out years ago. I started to because I wasn't sure if we have any new-to-WoT people in the thread.

I think you might have Galad and Gawyn mixed up.
    Gawyn is the one who loves Egwene; Galad is the older half-brother who joins the Children of Light.

6. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Yeah, Galad's the one who always does what's right. He's Elayne's half-brother
    (Rand's half-brother too if I have my family trees correct.)
    Gawyn's her full brother and he's not bad either--he and Egwene have one of the better developed relationships--but I can't get over his supporting of Elaida.

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    To be fair, Elaida was his mother's advisor for a long time. He trusted her.

I totally did not remember that about Rand! I know Galad--and Elayne and Gawyn--are Moiraine's neice and nephews, since their father, Taringail Damodred, was her brother, but I don't recall it ever really being talked about. Though I don't suppose they really know each other.

8. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I forgot....because at first Egwene's all googly-eyed for Galad. Always liked Gawyn more ;)

*blinks* wow, I...I don't think I EVER caught that (regarding the family trees). So that would be via mother then? Because otherwise....EWW.
    I'm so crap at relationships. And then you get the Aiel's sister-mother, sister-wife, etc and my mind goes wonky.

Must REALLY pay attention during this reread!

9. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Tigraine Mantear was the mother of both of those characters.

Taringail Damodred was the father of Elyane, Gawyn, and Galad. He is also Moiraine's half-brother.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Totally forgot that. Gah! I hope (if they haven't realized that already) they learn about it and meet each other in the last book!

11. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Rand knows I think, though he hasn't thought any on it. When he learns from the Aiel about his mother, he seems to put two and two together. Once he takes Andor, he questions one of the nobles pretty extensively about ancestry and house connections to make sure he isn't related to Elayne.

And they did meet in the first book, before they knew the truth. Galad called the palace guard on him!

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Haha well, yeah :p I meant again, both knowing who they are.

13. Darth_Smeagol

Dec 7, 2000
    I think Rand figured it out way back in either The Shadow Rising or The Fires of Heaven which always made me think they would have that moment together but now that there is only one book left I'm not going to get my hopes up for it.

14. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    It seems like he begins to suspect in TSR, after he learns of the Aiel history. I'm not finished with it, but I'm trying to keep an eye out for such things now.

15. Darth_Smeagol

Dec 7, 2000

Promotional video for A Memory of Light that Tor put just put out. No spoilers or anything just Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan's wife Harriet and others talking about the series.

16. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    :eek: AWESOME!!! Thank you!! :)

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Must watch asap (when I'm not trying to watch a game at the same time, haha). THanks for the link!

18. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Just finished up Winter's Heart. This is pretty much the most accurate summary of the book out there:

Perrin
    I was going to rescue my wife, but that will have to wait for the next book.​
    Mat
    I was going to escape with my friends, but that will have to wait for the next book.​
    Egwene
    I was going to attack Tar Valon, but that will have to wait for the next book.​

THE END

NYCitygurl likes this.
  19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The climax of the book with Rand and Nynaeve cleansing the Source more than made up for it, though.

20. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    The climax was pretty good, and I did enjoy Elayne and Aviendha's bonding at the beginning of the book. I actually found the ending line of "Light! She had found her sister!" to be pretty powerful..I actually found it easier to get through this time around. I don't know if it's because I didn't wait years for it to come out then have to wait years more to resolve all the plot lines started in Book 8. Or maybe it's just because since I firste read WoT, I've suffered through the entire Sword of Truth series (also full of books where nothing happened, but with bad characters, plots and dialogue as well) and read A Dance of Dragons. Dany's political plot lines make Elayne's seem lightning fast.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  21. Darth_Smeagol

Dec 7, 2000
    One month from today A Memory of Light will be released and the series will be complete. After waiting for it for so long it seems unreal to me that it's almost over.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  22. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Guess I better start reading faster, since I need to average one book a week to finish in time, ha.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  23. Darth_Smeagol

Dec 7, 2000
    You can pretty much skip Crossroads of Twilight if it helps. :p

NYCitygurl likes this.
  24. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    SoloKnight I'm with you there. [face_plain] I've resigned myself to not reading MoL until like...February.....

Rereading definitely helps with seeing how things change between the girls and the boys. The fluctuating dynamics of the relationships are subtle and entertaining.

25. Darth_Smeagol

Dec 7, 2000