main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Whilst in London, we recommend ..." - Culture and Heritage guide to the capital of England

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by timbolton, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    At this rate you'll need to spend about a month in London :p

But I think most of us are only recommending places we've been to and know are great, so that should hopefully condense the list ;)

London has some brilliant parks too. We just had a park meet yesterday and it's great just to chill out, play a bit of cricket and I'm sure we'll incorporate one for the possible European FF meet.
    The best parks in town are:
    Hyde Park
    Regents Park
    St James's Park
    Green Park
    Greenwich Park

They all have tube stations right next to them too :D

2. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    canada house...
    /shivers...
    when i think of canada,i think of bryan adams... i think of celine dion... william shatner...
    make the nightmares stop!

3. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    lol why do you think no one admits to owning Celine Dion? (ok maybe those in Quebec :p )

William Shatner, again not the best person to compare Canada by :p

Bryan Adams, guess depends on your taste

4. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Speaking of Canada....

The bfi IMAX cinema is worth a visit for those who don't have easy access to one. It depends on what films are out at the time, but given it'll be the summer hopefully there will be something big showing.
    It's located just outside the main Waterloo station
    bfi London IMAX

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Britain at War Museum is just down the road from the London Dungeon
    It has lots of stuff about Britain during World War 2, mainly to do with the people.
    Also has a genuine bunker you can sit in to see what it was like

Winston Churchill's
    Britain at War Experience
    64 - 66 Tooley Street
    London Bridge
    London SE1 2TF

http://www.britainatwar.co.uk/page1.html

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Unlocking this for any new questions or recommendations.

7. CC77

CC77 LFL Artist VIP

May 6, 2002
    Walking tours by a company called London Walks. I did several tours and it was the best way to see London. Extremely knowledgeable tour guides. Each tour lasts approximately 2 hours, and costs £7. You meet the guides at a tube station, pay right there and once the group is assembled, off you go. Each tour has a theme, such as the Jack the Ripper tour or Shakespeare's London or Haunted London, etc...Tours happen rain or shine. They have a good web site with a downloadable tour schedule. You're taken to pubs on every tour, of course to encourage your patronage, but it's nice to have an idea of someplace to go for pub grub or a drink after 2 hours of roaming the streets of London!
    www.walks.com

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Speaking of tours, Frog Tours is a lot of fun. I did it with a friend a few years ago. Wear something that you don't mind getting a bit wet! Their embarkation point is fairly close to the London Eye, London Aquarium, and Waterloo Station.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    This is outside London, so I apologize if it's slightly off-topic, but I'm very interested in going to Stonehenge. Any recommendations? Travel tips? I read there was a bus that runs between there and London several times a day. How reliable is it?

10. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    Haven't been myself but thought about it last year when I was last in London, I just didn't have the time! Some info I checked out though! http://www.savestonehenge.org.uk/stonei.html

Hope it helps!

11. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Haha, I'd know all about Stonehenge, because it's just up the road from me.

You'd need to catch a train down to Salisbury from London, then catch a bus up to Stonehenge (they call it a Stonehenge Tour :p ), then get off and either have a guided tour, a radio-led tour, or just look at it. It takes about 3 minutes to walk around, and truthfully it's not very interesting (apart from tonight, or last night, whenever the hell solstice was, because there're massive drug parties at Solstice there :p ).

So yeah, I'd advise just taking the train down to Salisbury. I'll be coming back here on the Monday anyway, so I could show you where the buses go from and stuff, if you're not going back to the US straightaway after CE.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    That would be great! Thank you. :) I'm reading about the £4 train ride between London and Salisbury right now. Too funny. It costs about that much to get from NYC to the suburbs on Metro North here. :p

And yeah, I'm disappointed CE wasn't timed to coincide with any pagan holidays. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.