main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Read, PA Who are you? (Personal Info We Should Know)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Rebel_Spook, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Hey all! I looked back and the only thing like this was locked and back on page 3, so I thought I'd start another one.

Name: David
    Nick I go by: Spook (if it offends, sorry)
    SW Fan since: 1978
    SW Collector: YES
    What I Collect: select figures, any vintage toys, comics, busts, plates, authentic posters, books
    OT Fan or Saga: OT Fan
    What do you do: Presently a stay-at-home dad, looking to get back in the workforce soon
    Where do you live: Wrightsville

If anyone has any other items they'd like to know, add them to your list and I'll give the info too.

2. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Name: Nigel
    Nick: You can insert just about anything in here and I'll answer to it. Some call me Flyboy. That works for me.
    SW Fan Since: 1997
    SW Collector: Sort of
    What I collect: Video games (I'm falling behind), books, random things that appeal to me.
    OT Fan or Saga: OT Fan.
    What I do: Sow mayhem and destruction along with civil unrest and terrorism. Oh, and I'm a student at PSU Berks studying IT, currently working at Caron Foundation as a groundskeeper.
    Where I live: Sinking Spring, at the intersection of N/S Hull St and Penn Ave
    Special Abilities:
    -Networking
    -Databasing
    -Hot Shot VG Pilot/Gunner (includes MW4/BK, CFS:I and Freelancer)
    -Deadly in RTS environments (mostly includes GB/CC; also: AoE:II, most C&C, StarCraft)
    -Proofreading/Grammar correction

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Name: Steph
    Nick I go by: Don't really have one...some call me Solo29 and Solo...or you can just use my real name or username
    SW Fan since: 1996
    SW Collector: Yup
    What I Collect: action figures(3 3/4" and 12"), books, posters and rare collectibles
    OT Fan or Saga:Most definitely OT Fan
    What do you do: I work the fountain at Friendly's (you know, those people that make the sundaes) and I'm also a full time student at KU.
    Where do you live: Mohnton
    Special Abilities:
    -drawing
    -uh, not much else :p

4. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Special Abilities: -FPS Sniper and Run & Gun (Delta Force series, Call of Duty, Dark Forces series)
    - SW prop building (work in progress)
    - SW costuming (work in progress)
    - cooking/grilling/baking
    - pounding on folks that think that joking about terrorism is funny... [face_plain]

5. Crazed_Ewok

Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2002
    Name: Chris
    Nick I go by: Crazed/That-dumb-idiot
    Age: 13, but Han can vouch I'm definately not typical :p
    SW Fan since: 1997-ish
    SW Collector: Here and there
    What I Collect: Books, games, anything that sparks my imagination ;)
    OT Fan or Saga: OT Fan all the way!
    What do you do: Homeschooled dummkaupf constantly annoying my darling cousin with German speaking :D and endless role-playing ;)
    Where do you live: Reading
    Special Abilities:
    -Umm...well...I like writing and making scripts in PHP and crap like that :p
    -Web design
    -reading and that stuff
    -using tons of smileys :p

6. jedimasterbryan

jedimasterbryan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2002
    Name: Bryan
    Nick I go by: jedimasterbryan
    SW Fan since: 1997 (thats when i really got into it)
    SW Collector: YES
    What I Collect: mainly figures, but i'll by anything SW that looks cool. So posters, legos, calendars, etc.
    OT Fan or Saga: OT Fan (the prequeks are okay but can't compare to the OT)
    What do you do: Well i'm a senior in HS (not for too much longer though), i work at Arby's in kutztown, and i'm joining the NAVY in september
    Where do you live: kutztown

7. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Oops! I forgot a very important category:

Standing on NJO: If I had my way, the NJO would cease to exist and new stories would be written during that period of time that is more in line with stories like TTT and the X-Wing series. Short answer: What NJO?

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ok, let's try this again. The first time I attempted to type this up, AOL booted me and I lost it. Meh, I don't feel like typing it all over again, so I'll simplify it.

Standing on NJO: I like certain books and others I wish would have never existed. I hate the focus on all the YJK characters and not the movie established characters. That's my biggest pet peeve. Who in hell decided Jacen should take control?

Anyway, it was alright...get rid of all the little bratty Jedi running around and it would have been close to 70% better.

9. jedimasterbryan

jedimasterbryan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2002
    Standing on NJO: I actually really enjo the NJO series. I thought it was well thought out and excelently writtten. The only thing i didn't like was the death of some characters like Chewbacca and such that seemes like they weren't really necesary

10. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Stace on the NJO: Enjoyed it, was pissed over Chewbacca's death (was 15 then, anyway). I think it wasn't very well planned out, but it was a good idea, and relied heavilly on good authors to make it enjoyable (Star By Star, Unifying Force, Rebel books, and most of the latter ones), though from different genres or series. So I don't really blame them, being novices to the Universe.

What happened was that books came out too quickly, i.e., they were being written more or less at the same time and authors would add things after being "assigned" a book. They all shared notes, but some things that were added weren't necessarily updated with information the next writer in the chain had. There's a databasing term that fits what this situation is not, a cascading update. There are also cascading deletes.

I enjoyed the books, enjoyed the development of the YJK characters, whom I rarely met before. I was disappointed sometimes at the lack of appearances of the original Rogues and Wraiths.

So, right. Overall satisfaction with NJO: 80%
    Enjoyed most of the books (about 75-85%)
    Enjoyed most of the developments (about 67-75%)
    Enjoyed most of the authors (about 90%-100%)
    Disappointed by the planning/writing process and coordination (It failed)
    Disappointed by the lack of use of some chars

Approve: Borsk Fey'lya's death. With curse any monuments to him that pop up in future books.
    Approve: Anakin's death on the grounds that it allowed us to view a different side of Han and his relationship with his family that has never been explored before. Same with Chewbacca's death.

11. Crazed_Ewok

Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2002
    Stance on the NJO:

Tried to read VP 5 times and I got bored every time, and I've read books like The Illiad and LotR. From what I've heard, I hate the NJO and never intend to read it.

12. Seph_Terien

Seph_Terien Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2001
    Name: Will
    Nick: Seph
    SW Fan Since: 1977
    SW Collector: Yes, but I am very picky about what I will try and collect.
    What I collect: OT "Original" Action Figures
    OT Fan or Saga: OT Fan
    What I do: Professional writer/Author/Columnist
    Where I live: Pottsville
    Special Abilities:
    - Writing Sci-Fi
    - Reviewing PC Games (Mainly FPS/MMORS)
    - Building PC's
    - Consuming Hot Wings
    - Trying to keep in SW info

13. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Newbie alert! :D

Name: Ruth
    Nick: Ru, or R2 (My uncle used to call me that because my first two initials are 'R's.)
    SW Fan Since: 2002 (Better late than never, eh?)
    SW Collector: Yes!
    What I collect: Action figures, Unleashed, LEGO, SW books and graphic novels.
    OT Fan or Saga: OT Fan primarily.
    What I do: I'm studying to be a professional photographer
    Where I live: Spring City
    Special Abilities:
    - Photography
    - Reading every book I can get my hands on
    - Spotting gift shops from a mile away
    - Playing GameCube games until my fingers go numb

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey, hey! New member! First of all, welcome to our humble little club. We're still trying to get this thing off the ground and we're planning on having a meeting sometime at the end of the month. Be sure to check back for more details. ;)

And just a quick question - how far outside of Reading is Spring City? I'm not too familiar with that name.

15. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Spring City is about halfway between Pottstown and King of Prussia off of 422. So, like, 26.37 miles as far as MapQuest is concerned.

So, R2, where be ye studying for photography?

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks, ArchaicRebel :)

17. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Nick: Ranger Sebulba
    SW Fan since: 1984
    SW Collector: Not really.
    OT Fan or Saga: Being a fan fiction writer, I'm not entirely clear on what the difference is as they mean the same thing over in the Fanfic forums. :p
    What do you do: Driving motor coach for Werner Bus Lines in Phoenixville.
    Where do you live: Spring City (Ruth is my significant other [face_love])
    Special Abilities:
    - Writing
    - Losing LOTR games
    - Yelling at Ruth's cats
    - Reading
    - Logging
    - Handling ridiculously large vehicles over confined roads in the midst of a cloudburst
    Stance on NJO: SUCK. A major theme in my fan fiction is fixit. 8-}

18. AcidMage

AcidMage Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2003
    NAME: JP
    NICK: AcidMage
    Fan since: '79
    Collector: No
    OT/PT: OT. PT sucks.
    Job: Waiter, P/T web stuff.
    Live: Southside Reading
    Special Abilities/Interests:
    -Hockey
    -Art
    -Programming
    -Web Design
    -TOOL
    Stance on NJO: Don't know, don't care.
    D6 or D20: D6 any time of the year, dammit. Screw WotC!

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm lagging behind a bit here. :p

Welcome to all the new folks! If you have any questions about our group in general feel free to PM me or post them in this thread. :)

Also, we're trying to get a meeting together for the end of this month or the beginning of the next. For more information, check out the Meeting Planning Thread.

And finally, to get more action back into this group, I have been planning to put together some kind of game for here on the message board.

And well...I'm glad you're here and have fun! :)

20. JediSoccerDad

JediSoccerDad Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Name: Rob
    Nick I go by: Don't really have one... Used ?Jade? as an Online Persona for a long time, but then decided to disclose my real name after about five years or so. :D
    SW Fan since: 1980 (ESB was the ?hook? for me)
    SW Collector: Most definitely!
    What I Collect: Action Figures, Novels, Posters and about any other collectible that I can sneak by my wife. [face_shhh]
    OT Fan or Saga: OT Fan all the way!
    What do you do: Network Analyst (Typical Geek Job :-B ) & Full-Time KU Student (Education)
    Where do you live: Wyomissing
    Special Abilities/Interests:
    -Fiction Writing (Short Stories)
    -Youth Coaching (Soccer) ?Go Wilson Bulldogs!!? :cool:
    -Eagles Football & Phillies Baseball (I?m originally a Philadelphia Native!)
    -Extreme Movie Buff (Almost all genres)
    -Shakespeare Buff (HS Teacher once inspired me)
    -Cartoon Buff (Especially all the 80s Stuff)
    -Find ways to be the coolest Dad (2 children, brainwashed [face_hypnotized] into SW Fans!)
    -Find new and interesting ways to stay awake on 3rd Shift (Mucho coffee [face_coffee] )
    Hmmmmm, I think I embarrassed myself enough, lol..
    Standing on NJO: I take a, ?beggars can?t be choosers? perspective on this topic. Of course I believe all the OT work to be way better, however some of the NJO stories were interesting & well done.

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome aboard, Rob! :D

22. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Nick: Sal
    SW Fan since: The begining (1977 for you youngsters)
    SW Collector: ABSOLUTELY! Big-time collector
    OT Fan or Saga: More OT but I really liked AOTC.
    What do you do: Design and Marketing for the University of Pittsburgh
    Where do you live: Pittsburgh (hope it's okay to post here, I'm still a Pennsylvanian if not from Reading)
    Special Abilities:
    -Jedi during the week
    -Sith on weekends
    -Able to sniff out new SW merchandise even when cleverly hidden

oh I guess you mean real life abilities, ok then:
    Art of nearly any kind. Especially digitally and sculpting.
    Knows how to play both sides of an argument. (Helps in understanding someone else's viewpoint)
    Stance on NJO: I haven't read any of them yet, but for what I know of it, I don't like it. Within the SW universe there should not be beings that are outside of the force. I've heard that the Vong can manipulate it differently. Crap! IMO It's no longer SW then, again, IMHO. I'll eventually read those books when the movie, TV show and all of the rest of the books are over, done and read. (Besides how can you agree with them killing Chewie?!? I literally shed a tear over that one. Call me an old fool for doing that over a fictional character, but SW has been with me for 28 years now)

Okay so that's my bit. Want to know more?

23. esse

esse Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2005
    Name: Summer
    Fan since: 1990
    Collect: Just the books and some of the comics
    OT Fan or Saga: Aren't those the same thing? I prefer the original trilogy, but the prequels have their own merits. Barring, of course, all the terrible fashion and hair disasters. What's up with that, anyway?
    Special abilities:
    --Writing/editing
    --Kicking ass at rock and roll Jeopardy
    --Having minimal special abilities, apparently
    Stance on NJO: I'm assuming that refers to the New Jedi Order books, which I haven't read. I've been out of SW fandom for years and am only now working my way back through the Clone Wars stuff between episodes II and III. Given what I've heard, they don't sound great (I'm not down with killing off a major canon character like Chewie, thanks), but I don't know if anything can be worse than a: Anakin's terrible Jedi mullet or b: that stupid novel where Luke fell in love with the woman trapped in the mind of the spaceship. Those are big shoes of suckage to fill.

So, yeah. Hello and all that good stuff.

24. JediSoccerDad

JediSoccerDad Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    I think I read that book. I have to look at the bottom of my book pile. I kinda remember being disgusted with the storyline as well. [face_frustrated]

Congrats on the "working on PHD". I can only dream & pray of making it that far. [-o|

25. Wesmin7

Wesmin7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2001
    Name: Travis
    Nick I go by: Wesmin It's been my online avatar since I can remember.
    SW Fan since: Hmm I honestly don't remember, steph sorta slowly got me into it... I was pry considering myself a fan some time around when the Special additions came out.
    SW Collector: Nope
    What I Collect: nothing
    OT Fan or Saga: OT I'd say, but I do enjoy certain PT things.
    What do you do: At the moment I'm a student at KU, but that is changing due to money problems.
    Where do you live:well I've been practically at KU these entire last 2 years, but I geuss i 'live' in Mohnton.
    Stand on NJO: I think they are pretty cool, no I'm not physco over the death or aging of main charactors as Steph is ;) I enjoy when charactors evolve and situations change, to me that is the making of a good series, not having the same charactors in the same situations and so forth...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.