main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is commanding the Republic Starships in the OSB?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by BothofUs, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Why would they ever pummel the Invisible Hand, the ship that the Chancellor is being held hostage on? Don't they know that two Jedi are trying to rescue him?

2. DroidGeneral

DroidGeneral Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Communication error. Frequent in War. General "Stonewall" Jackson was killed the same way near Antietam.

3. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Yep, its a case of friendly fire.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lt. Lorth Needa. Yes, the same man Vader kills later for his failure with capturing the Millenium Falcon. What happened is that none of the Star Destroyers knew that Anakin and Obi-wan were aboard. Need stops firing and demands to speak with Grievous. He tells the General to show him proof that Palpatine's aboard, otherwise he will destroy them. Grievous goes to show him his quarters, but there's no Palpatine. Ten minutes pass before Needa opens fire again. Anakin's carrying Obi-wan and running with Palpatine at this point. They cannot contact ship to ship.

Taken from the novelization.

5. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    It's cool that it's Needa. Another one of those nods to the OT.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You should see his cousin. He's even more inept.

7. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I didn't realize that was possible! Although to Needa's credit, at least it's Han Solo who outsmarts him.

8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Grievous: Surrender accepted Lt. Needa

9. Darth_Ogawa

Darth_Ogawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    I wish they would have shown some of a young Needa giving orders to the clones to fire and such during the space battle.

It would have helped to tie into the end better so we don't suddenly see Imperial Officers as if they suddenly were formed together just for Vader's debut. That's one of the criticizms I noticed from a lot of people as I viewed Revenge of the Sith for the 1st time.

10. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Forgive my lack on knowledge, but huh? Care to explain?

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Following the death of Lorth Needa, Vader was so angry that he ordered almost all the Needas to be killed for his failure. Yeah, overkill. Virar Needa survived and was able to stay in the Empire. Nearly three years after Endor, Virar was aboard one of the Orbital Solar Mirrors that surround Courscant. Rogue Squadron and members of General Cracken's intelligence team, managed to manipulate the mirrors to aid in the taking of Courscant. At first Virar thought it was just a standard Imperial emergency and that he would be well rewarded by Ysanne Isard for his small part in what was going on. He was unaware that the mirrors were shutting down the planet's defense sheilds. Then when the New Republic fleet showed up to take Courscant, he tried to order his men to fight. Unfortunately, he forgot that the station has no weapons of any kind. Nor would it be smart to try to fight the New Republic. Basically, he showed that he's not that bright and as we've seen with Lorth, stupidity does run in the family.

This is the one time that Vader was justified in killing people.

12. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Lt. Lorth Needa. Yes, the same man Vader kills later for his failure with capturing the Millenium Falcon. What happened is that none of the Star Destroyers knew that Anakin and Obi-wan were aboard. Need stops firing and demands to speak with Grievous. He tells the General to show him proof that Palpatine's aboard, otherwise he will destroy them. Grievous goes to show him his quarters, but there's no Palpatine. Ten minutes pass before Needa opens fire again. Anakin's carrying Obi-wan and running with Palpatine at this point. They cannot contact ship to ship.

Taken from the novelization.

That was needa?? [face_laugh] I never noticed that, thats funny.

13. Dj_Stevie_C

Dj_Stevie_C Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Question.

If Needa was as inept as people here are making out, then isn't the fault surely with the Command structure of the empire for letting someone so inept into the position of such command?

And I don't think what he did was that huge a failure, more a good move by Han Solo that bypassed the imperial 'rulebook'... Dunno, Just don't think it was Needa's fault they lost the Falcon, more Han's skill than anything else.

14. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Leave it to the EU to over-analyze and provide a detailed explanation for every single last line, scene, or event in the OT. :rolleyes:

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Either that, or certain ppl to whine endlessly when things aren't spoon-fed to them.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, Needa just made a tiny error with the Invisible Hand. Perfectly understandable. But Vader was super ticked off that Needa lost the Falcon. Remember, Vader remembers that Needa was there on Courscant years ago. He's probably never forgotten about his little error and took it way too personally. That's why Thrawn was more respected when he was in charge of the Imperial Navy. He knew that there were some things out of anyone's control. And instead of killing someone for failure, he got them to admit their error and then made it clear that they could avoid it in the future.

Vader's a good leader, but got too much of a temper problem. Boba Fett wasn't stupid though. He figured out that the Falcon's hyperdrive was not working and realized that if Han didn't go to lightspeed, he'd rely on a technique similar to what Obi-wan Kenobi did at Geonosis.

17. TomPiltoff

TomPiltoff Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2005
    Not really. I don't hear anybody whining about not knowing the history of the Needa's or who was in command at Coruscant.

18. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Yeah, it's a good thing no one that inept was ever in a
    position of command in real life!:p

George*cough*Bush
    'scuse me..
    *cough*:rolleyes:

19. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    What were they supposed to do? Shower the IH with flowers?
    When a capital ship pulls up next to you and starts firing,
    you really have very few options.
    Run.
    Or shoot back.
    And besides, the chance to whack Dooku and Greivous
    at the same time, even at the price of Palpatine,
    was too hard to pass up.
    Target of opporutinty.

Not to mention it was a great pirate movie homage...

20. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    I agree that they should have shown the republic officers commanding the republic ships, as a way to tigh in with the end of the movie (and the orginal trilogy). They should have worn similar uniforms to the imperial design but not exactly the same.

I am a bit suprised that Needa would have been in a position to control a republic cruiser at this time. What was he in Empire? 40? That would make him 18 here. I would have expected him to be somehing like an ensign or some other very low rank at this point.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's possible that Needa's CO was killed or Palpatine purposely put someone of low rank in charge of Courscant's defense. He was only 20 and a Lieutenant (sp) in the Republic's Navy.

The uniforms seen at the end of ROTS, was what the Republic's military uniform looked like.

22. Darthdias

Aug 12, 2004
    Then I think that if Lucas ever changes this movie like he has done with the others, he should include a brief scene on the bridge of a republic cruiser with officers shouting orders. However, the bridge should not look like the destroyer at the end of the movie, IMO. That would spoil it a little.

23. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    this is one element that was missing form the PT officers we never really saw those whacky non-clone commanders....ahhh[face_love]

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

They all looked like that, including the Republic Battle Crusiers from AOTC. Almost all the Star Destroyers were created by the same design team. Not talking about ILM, but in the story itself. The Venator begat the Victory which begat the Imperial which begat the Super class.

25. Darthdias

Aug 12, 2004
    I'll take your word for it, even though I think it looks a bit too grey and sterile for the republic. But I guess that's just another sign that the republic was about to become an empire. I would still like to se the inside of a republic vessel and its officers during the battle of Couruscant. It would make the last scene with Vader seem less sudden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.