main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who shouldnt have gone there..............

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Boba_Lives, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Lives

Boba_Lives Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    Should Lucas have actually gone into the realms of Jar-Jar, should the gungans have existed? What was a battle droid? What I am talking about here is mistakes Lucas made intentionally which would loom over AOTC and possibly ROTS.... Your thoughts

2. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    I didn't particularly enjoy the Gungan community in Episode I, but it turned out fine. The Gungans didn't really reappear or have an influence, and the droids seem like the perfect concept for the Separatist army, and it's simple having them as the ones who lose the war.

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The Gungans weren't a bad idea. Captain Tarpals was definately acceptable, but Jar Jar and Boss Nass just took it too far. If all of them were like Tarpals, it wouldn't have been so bad.

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The Gungans were a part of the "nature/little guys over technology" theme that is present in all the films. So were the battle droids, for that matter. I have no problems with either because they further the symbolism present in the saga in a positive way.

Additionally, Jar Jar's antics symbolized the more carefree nature of the galaxy as a whole "before the dark times, before the Empire." We see that the main characters are greatly troubled, but the galaxy itself hasn't fallen into the dark times yet. Sure, "turmoil has engulfed the galactic republic," but the average, everyday citizens throughout the galaxy aren't too concerned with it, I'm sure.

The Phantom Menace was truly our view into the world that Obi-Wan referenced in Episode IV.

5. Boba_Lives

Apr 2, 2005
    jedi_master_ousley, I never thought about it that way. thanks for that. One thing I did hate though was Boss Nass, he did take it to far with the continual head shaking..... uugh.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I guess that particular aspect would depend on how you view it. The Gungans have a different culture than do the humans of the galaxy - and perhaps his head shakes are very meaningful to the rest of the Gungans.

I thought it was a bit "out there" as well, but then I realized that the merging of Gungan and Naboo society was very important, and that the Naboo had to be accepting of Gungan culture if they were to live peacefully - and that the audience was meant to be accepting of that culture as well.

:)

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Gungans are very like 'em or hate 'em. They're much like the Ewoks. Personally, I was always fond of them because I loved the character designs, and I thought the Gungan cityscapes were just gorgeous works of CGI. Jar Jar is also a nice bit of clumsy innocence to pair off against Anakin's precociousness.

As for whether the film shouldn't have had them...eh, so maybe they weren't as popular as Lucas hoped, but I don't think they killed the film. I think alot of people wouldn't have liked TPM anyway simply because the plot wasn't what they expected. You can never know how a film will work with the audience until it comes out, and by that point, it's too late to change it.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I sort of agree with you. The Gungans overall were kind of cool and Otah Gungah looked really good. My problem with Jar Jar was the fact that George couldn't seen to be bother with having Jar Jar or any of the Gungans for that matter actually speak their own language instead of that horrible garbled english. Come on. He can have Greedo speak Rodian for his whole of 5 lines of dialogue in ANH before Han blows him away, but can't do the same for Jar Jar's who seems like he's everywhere in Ep.I.

9. Boba_Lives

Apr 2, 2005
    I think half the reason I dont like them is the way that thet talk, and if you dislike them as much as I do, theres always gungan armageddon in clone wars volume two: victories and sacrifices

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.