main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Lucas is quitting blockbusters

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by kypzethdurron, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I do wish that, if we really needed another SW trilogy, that Lucas was the one doing it. Maybe get a co-director or co-writer to help him out if need be (and keep complainers at bay). I'd have trusted Lucas himself to carry on in the spirit of his series and explore the deeper themes and mysteries left in the mythology. All I expect out of Abrams and Arndt is wishy washy Gen X nostalgia.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    But I suspect they wouldn't have been any good. There were times watching the making of stuff where he almost sounded obligated to make the PT. He just seems to love what he's doing now and is happier than he's been (even the reporter noted it in that recent art museum article). What does that tell you? It tells me he's happier doing what he's doing now and is more passionate about it. Passion and exuberance go a long way to making something good(doesn't guarantee it obviously).

So I'm glad he's not doing any more. But I'm still glad were getting more. He's earned his retirement from SW. But Lucas recognized, wisely, that SW is not ready for retirement. He will be remembered right alongside Walt Disney as a great icon of the film industry. That's if he stopped now.

But he's not even done yet.

3. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    LOL That's because aside from RotS, he hasn't made anything good since '89.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yep. Honestly, I'd rather have Star Wars go back to the early 90s when a novel and a Super Nintendo game were big releases than see Abrams take over.

xezene likes this.
  5. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013
    lol agreed (with the exception of RotS)

6. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Of course he's quitting blockbusters. What choice does he have?
    [​IMG]

7. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013
    Lucas is a great story teller, but frankly imo he's not a great film maker.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is he still going to do the smaller less expensive films?

9. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013
    Let's be honest here. Truth be told, Lucas got lucky, he hit the jackpot with Star Wars. Would we even know who he is if not for Star Wars? Probably not, aside from a slight mention with regard to Indiana Jones. I attribute the success of Indiana Jones more to Spielberg than to Lucas, and aside from SW and IJ, what else is there? Nothing. And even with Star Wars, the only good ones are 3, 4, 5, and 6; two of which were directed by someone other than Lucas.

Conclusion: Who really cares if Lucas isn't doing blockbusters anymore. Does it matter? It's moot. Aside from telling a few good stories and directing only two really memorable ones, he hasn't really done any blockbusters.

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    We would know George if he hadn't done SW, but it would be as a tech guy pushing the envelope behind the scenes with his sound and vfx innovations. Those,imho, have been just as profound anyway. He standardized great sound in movie theaters with his THX certification program. And then Skywalker Sound and ILM need no introduction.

So yeah, he would be known, but as a behind the scenes innovator.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  11. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013
    Fair enough. Then again, wasn't it the success of the original Star Wars that pushed him that way? As far as technology is concerned, someone would've eventually thought of it and then developed it.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I wouldn't hold your breath on this one if I were you. He has been saying that since RTJ came out. He could have done them at any time since then and he hasn't unless you count Red Tails

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    He may never make them. But that's ok. He doesn't have to.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013
    LOL that's 'cuz Lucas is full of sh@$! All he's got is Star Wars.

15. Darth Dru

Feb 1, 2013
    All George cares about anymore is money. It's sad.

16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Study a bit about GL before you make sweeping statements.

Also, Lucas is know for American Graffiti

Prisic Duskleap and Andy Wylde like this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Just like the ST and PT were talked about in 1983, and ended up being released 1999-2019.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  18. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Fixed.

(And I only did this because you denied the existence, let alone the sublimity, of THX-1138 and American Graffiti.)

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Even though Lucas only directed a handful of films, his impact has been far and wide. Even if we're only to talk about SW, that is still a lasting legacy. And thats just one film. But that one film's impact was so huge and far-reaching.

20. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008

I find the 'he's only doing it for the money' angle pretty laughable. I bought into it when I was younger but I've since realized Lucas has been wealthy for decades now. Not just rich but wealthy. Everything I've read about the guy gives me the impression that he doesn't particularly care about that sides of things, that he's even a bit embarrassed about it. Though I'm sure he's not crying himself to sleep about how full his bank account is.

21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Effing BRILLIANT drg4 !!!!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Which was before Starwars not after

23. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

Wow you are a moron please leave the boards you have nothing to bring to any discussion. To all you people whining that Lucas cares about money to that I say so what?! Is that a crime to want to create a world and a story and profit off of it you sound like a idiot idealistic hippie. Besides Lucas made the movies for many factors, he wanted to tell Anakin's story and he wanted to get new fans, and of course he wanted to strengthen the star wars name by bringing star wars to a new generation. BTW if you want to be educated and not sound like a fool look up how much money Lucas has donated to various causes, I love how some people conveniently ignore that, next time you want to have a discussion sound like a adult instead of saying hasn't made anything good, expound on your point you sound like a simpleton by saying "good" and "bad"

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Don't feed the trolls.

25. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Well, since George is giving virtually all of his $4 billion to philanthropic endeavors I guess it's really not that bad that all he cares about is making money, but then again, if you're giving it all away, then does that really mean that you only care about making money?...

Yeah, not so sure about that one.

Andy Wylde, Pensivia and Darth_Pevra like this.