main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why tonyf should be reinstated as an Admin.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by LostOnHoth, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    If that's what it takes to get some satisfying answers in this matter, a lot of us are willing push it that far. :D

2. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Can somebody explain the question again, I thought this was just people griping that the admins shouldn't have demoted tonyf for posting drunk...is it now more than that? ?[face_plain] It doesn't seem like that big a deal to me... [face_plain]

3. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Yeah, I'm still a little confused as to what the question is, too. Do you guys want clarification as to what's "ban/demotion-worthy" or what?

So far as I know, Tonyf has posted drunk on three occasions and has been reprimanded in the past. While I think he's a great guy and this may not have deserved a perm-demotion without prior discussion among mods, I can still see what postition the management is in.

Again, what exactly do you guys want answers about? ?[face_plain]

4. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Just keep it simple, say 42 :D

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    From my perspective, this thread has two questions:

1) Why was TonyF banned exactly? What was the violation, is it something that will be enforced is the future on the members.

2) Well, this isn't really a question, but more a topic. The total lack of respect that The Adminstration, not the mods, the administration (Cleo, Josh, Scott, Azzeem) have shown towards the membership of the forum (mods included). Based on all info in this thread, it doesn't seem as though they gave two damns about us.

But that's just what I feel.

6. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    # 2 is the one that seems to have riled the cattle

7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    {Please don't swear -Josh}

Just read the first page. It's all there.

For the intellectually challenged (I'll use small words):

tonyf was permanently demoted for breaching a rule that didn't exist.

It was a rule plucked out of thin air and applied without consulation with the people who actually moderate these boards.

The punishment did not fit the so called 'crime' in any shape or form. At worst it was 'poor judgment' and not worthy of a permanent demotion.

The decision seems to have been made without any consideration of tonyf's excellent contributions to the JC.

Since tonyf's demotion the so called Administrators of this board have demonstated that they don't give a damn about the concerns of the members who choose to voice an opinion.

The Administrators, by their silence, have indicated that they lack the maturity and intelligence necessary to properly discharge their obligations as Administrators of this board.

The Administrators, by their silence, have indicated that they consider the members here not worthy of an explanation to serious and relevant questions raised in a public forum.

The Administrators, by their silence, have shown utter contempt for those Moderators who care enough about the JC to contribute their time and energy without anything in return.

If anyone is confused about what it is we're asking for, you obviously haven't bothered to read the thread and should just stay the hell out of it. NathanDahlinyou have replied in this thread that you do not agree with tonyf's demotion. Why is that? I think the answer to that question provides the answer to what we are trying to achieve here.

We want answers, not more questions.

8. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    PS. Why all the hysterics over posting drunk, late at night, when this entire site is built upon:

Stolen property.

All the concern over cursing, posting on the net while intoxicated and discussing abortion and religion, which are both still legal last time I checked, but not a word about stolen property.

Hmmm?

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    stolen property?
    you mean the intellectual property of Senor Georgeo Lucas, namely the Star Wars universe and its associated trademarks and copyright? or did scott and darin steal the server this thing is based from?

10. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    The storyboards that were posted, the clip of Hayden fighting, the paintings, the script fragments, all the rest.

Did Lucasfilm *give* all of that and all the other stuff to TFN?

No.

Is stealing part of a G rated "family foum"? Apparently because we want it, then that's OK.

11. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Tony only posted drunk once before this incident, as far as I can recall. Also, I believe people are still waiting for an official clarification, as promised by the staff. Check the fourth page of this thread (I'm viewing 50 posts per page, so it might be different if you're not), where darthcleo drops in to add:
    Quote:
    I will only respond publicly once things have been settled between TFN core people and the moderators.

Right now this is a private matter, internal to TFN.

There will be a public statement once we're done talking, but things take a long time, since people are online at odd hours.

I think that's what people are waiting for.

Vertical

12. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Well said LOH and Vert.

13. Zizou

Zizou Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2001
    leave it to vert

14. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    No blasters!- If you really want to get into copyright laws, we can. However, TheForce.net has permission to post anything they want, under one condition: TFN, as a whole, and the staff, as individuals, may never turn a profit from this site. All of the money leftover from operations goes immediately to charity.

15. Master_Hydeck

Master_Hydeck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2000
    But we weren't turning a profit from the storyboards and they had to be removed.

16. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    I'm looking forward to the Official explanation here

17. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Master_Hydeck- If you got a call from LFL, a company that could really get on your case for a lot of things, instead of being generous with information, would you remove anything they asked? I would.

18. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Once again Preacherboy misses the point of a post. Swing and a miss. Close, but no cigar. :p

NB was talking about the fact that it's odd that a site about stolen property and images and such has to be such sticklers about threads dealing with drinking, abortion, politics and such.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, now does it?

(Reference the Down With Diapers thread for more info on the subject)

19. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Speaking of which, doesn't this ad go against the rules on this board about swearing?

Let's have a little consistency if we're going to make this a G rated board. This is an R rated movie. Those teenie boppers shouldn't be watching something like that, and therefore TFN shouldn't be condoning it, right? :p

[image=http://www.thegeekhost.com/obeywann/diehard%20ad.jpg]

20. Santee Ordrin

Santee Ordrin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 9, 1998
    PB, you have a real tendency to say things that really make no true sense. Nor give a good name to the Moderators, administrators, or TFN as a whole. Why don't you stick to something where your mouth will not get in the way of your job.

21. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Obey Wann, we have no control over those ads. Hence, saying that we condone the things advertised in them is rediculous.

No blasters!, the whole "stolen property" issue has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

This forum isn't "G-rated" by any stretch of the imagination. We're trying to run a forum resembling the SW movies - something for the whole family.

The below paragraph is the impression I've gotten from the management. It may be off, but it's the closest thing to an answer that I can give you.

Joshua Griffin has stated that he doesn't want moderators posting drunk, as we are to be an example of mature posting, and Tonyf has posted while drunk in the past and received a warning about it. After this warning, he committed the same offense. That was why he was demoted.

Like I said, I don't think it was worthy of a permanent demotion so don't shoot the messenger. I believe the above paragraph is the message that TFN staff has been trying to convey. You have to understand that Josh, Scott, etc. don't come to these forums often, so don't blame them for not posting in this thread. Nic has posted, but she's not the one who decided that Tonyf was to be demoted permanently. I doubt the other two have even seen this thread, so whining and screaming for answers like this won't do you any good. The size of this thread probably scares a great many people away. If you want answers beyond those I posted in the red paragraph, I advise you to consult together via PM and let LostOnHoth send one e-mail to Joshua Griffin at josh@theforce.net, asking him about it.

To be quite honest, we moderators have been snuffed by the staff as well, so we don't have the answers you seek. That's why it seems you're being ignored. In most prior threads, the moderators have been able to answer your questions. In this one, however, you have to go to the management, and the management does not tend to read many threads in the JC, let alone 22-page threads in Communications.

The bottom line: No one who is reading this thread can answer your questions, which is why you're all getting frustrated.

LostOnHoth, put together that e-mail and send it. If you're still ignored, I'll do everything in my power to get your message across, okay?

22. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Quote:
    Tonyf has posted while drunk in the past and received a warning about it. After this warning, he committed the same offense.
    Not trying to derail your comments, Nathan, as they were all pretty accurate (concerning why no one has responded), but this one quote is not correct. Tony may have posted drunk before, but he was not warned about it. He was temporarily demoted for posting profanity, it had nothing to do with being drunk. I know, because stinrab, Missninfan, and I were the ones who demoted him. There was never any comment about his state of innebriation, much less any warning. Thus, the two incidents, though seemingly related, aren't. He wasn't warned the first time, and he wasn't warned the second. He was simply demoted. Permanently.

But outside of that, I agree with all of your thoughts.

Vertical

23. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Obey Wann- I realize what Nb! was trying to get at, but I was trying to draw a line between "posting property that belongs to LFL" and "breaking in to the ranch and physically stealing property".

Santee Ordrin- Everything I said there was relevant, and coherant. I am sorry if you do not understand. I am unwilling to translate everything I have to say, just for you. Futhermore, please stop giving me "advice"... at times it is completely off topic and unprovoked. I realize you may get some sort of amusement out of it, and if that's the case, go ahead and carry on. I enjoy humoring children.

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Don't make me sick John McClane on you.

25. Santee Ordrin

Santee Ordrin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 9, 1998
    Preacherboy, hmm...

Do your constant foot in mouth disease posts not deserve some sort of "punishment" at least on the same level as tonyf's punishment? How many times have you belittled, flamed, insulted posters making justified and logical arguments and you not receive any sort of punishment?

In the years that I have been on this board, I truly have seen some immature and basically unprofessional actions taken by yours truly. To many times have you gotten away with it. To many times have you just slipped to the wayside. Only once have you taken a term of self punishment, and even then, you didn't learn from your mistakes....

So please, keep your mouth shut, and let those who know how to talk diplomatically work these things out. Your way of talking only exacerbates the matter and makes it worse...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.