main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why tonyf should be reinstated as an Admin.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by LostOnHoth, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dolza

Darth_Dolza Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2000
    Nate: The e-mail idea is good. However, I think you pinpointed one of the problems that's at the core of this matter, namely, the amount of time our esteemed administrators put in here. If this whole episode has taught us anything, it's exposed a severe dearth of communication between the folks at the top, the folks in the middle (you guys) and the folks at the bottom of the pyramid (us). It shouldn't have gotten to the point where we'd have to e-mail a staff member; this is a board matter and should have been resolvable on-board, not in some tangential offline discussion.

What's the point of a Communications forum if we can't get a hold of an admin when we need one?

Ancillary to that issue, though also at the core of this matter (and more important to this particular discussion), is the question of whether by their [apparent] absense these admins have any real idea or sense of what this little Internet community is all about. Maybe if they actually posted here more, they'd understand the stresses in the structure that have been exposed by tony's demotion. Or maybe had they solicited the council of you mods, we wouldn't be at this point. Who knows?

2. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    TF.N acts as if Lucasfilm couldn't ever touch the. If they wanted to loose thier hard core fan base like Star Trek did, I am sure they could shut this site down. I wonder why we can't post the storyboards, TPM edit, or the entirety of episode 2.

3. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Darth_Dolza, I understand what you're saying but we lowly mods can only speak for ourselves. We're here in the communication forums dealing with the day to day issues as best as we can. It's just that regarding this unique issue, we can't give you the answers you need. We try to be here for everything else though.

4. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    I am sure that many of you out there truly believe that there are constantly active lines of communication between moderators and the administration. I believed this was the case, too.

I was wrong.

It seems to me that the administration has no problems posting to unimportant and uncontroversial threads within a good amount of time, but they often happen to miss or neglect the high priority ones.

The bottom line here is that we're getting about the same amount of answers you're all getting. :p

I'm 99.99% sure that Tony will not be reinstated.

I'm not even sure that he'd want the position if it were offered back to him.

Would you?

Would I?

Probably not.

I can honestly say I relate to the frustrations being expressed by the membership. I, after being promoted, looked forward to being privy to all the official talks and decision making, and it's times like these that test how strong those connections really are.

I must say I am disappointed. I have lost a fellow moderator who has contributed years of time and energy into these boards, all of which seems unnoticed and unappreciated.

To my knowledge, those who made the decision to demote him haven't publically thanked him for his contributions nor apologized for the way this situation was handled.

That worries me as a moderator and concerns me as his friend.

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    "I doubt the other two have even seen this thread, so whining and screaming for answers like this won't do you any good. The size of this thread probably scares a great many people away."

Josh has edited a post on this page.

I know it was after you said it Nate but he is reading none the less.

I would also like to divert your attention to a post I made back on the 6th page.

"It's been a long time coming.

I don't like all this but there really is one thing I hope doesn't happen.

That is that the mods come out of their "private disscussion" and tell us all to shut up and quit moaning.

I hope to god this doesn't happen as my respect for the mods has never been higher than it is at this point."

Compare it with the quote at the start of this post.

**sigh**

ED: I realise this isn't across the board.

6. eaglejedi

eaglejedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 2, 2001
    I respect you a lot more after reading your above post, Missy, though I really haven't been following this thread/situation and have no idea what's going on.

7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    What's the point of a Communications forum if we can't get a hold of an admin when we need one?

An excellent question Darth_Dolza.

I appreciate your efforts Nathan but I think a reply by the Administrators who actually banned tonyf need to respond to this thread.

I am still waiting for darthcleo's promised 'public statement'.

8. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    perhaps you could, in your personal email request that the reply should be directed to this thread, it may help, or it may not, worth a try......

9. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Might I suggest PMing anyone whose thoughts you'd like to see in this thread?

Vertical

10. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    I've PMed cleo with a question before. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an answer. (Because I'm still waiting for an answer to mine. And it wasn't even a "complaint" PM.)

11. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    Sorry if I can't be at your pecks and calls all the time (or whatever the real expression is)...

I have very limited time online these days. Some of the high priority threads in the mod forum take a long time to think about and answer while trivial ones take a second.

I have posted an official thank you note to TonyF.
    He *really* did make a big contribution to those boards, and I do feel he's deserving of public thanks.

In fact all of our mods (past and current) deserve those thanks. *Anyone* who works at TFN deserve them. We are all volunteers here and thanks are all we ever get for pay.

12. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    (no message)

13. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    "In fact all of our mods (past and current) deserve those thanks. *Anyone* who works at TFN deserve them."

No offence, but, the way the mods were disregarded in the "tony saga" seems to say to me that, at least according to the administration, the mods arn't regarded as someone who "works at tfn".

14. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    Nathan: "No blasters!, the whole "stolen property" issue has nothing to do with the matter at hand."

I posted that for perspective on the issue at hand. No, this has nothing to do with stolen property, but the irony is not lost on me.

And yes, I feel the forum *is* unofficially G rated.

15. blueeyedjess

blueeyedjess Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    Applauds AlphaWolf.. Very well put!

16. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Jedi Master star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    Looks as if they want to break SDA's Communications thread record.

Never!

//starts planning the next big conspiracy

SDA

17. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    // starts building bomb shelter

18. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Jedi Master star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    //starts building a bigger, better bomb

SDA

19. Destiny_Skywalker

Destiny_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2000
    Ohh, which superweapon? I mean there's so many failed ones to choose from!!

20. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    AlphaWolf, the whole reason Josh editted something in this thread after my post was because I e-mailed him to bring this very thread to his attention. Here's a quote from the reply I got:

"I don't mind
    answering PMs, if people really want a solution or explanation." -- Joshua Griffin

21. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    So he means that the administrators are above looking a communications? Wouldn't it be more efficient and less time consuming to have a public statement in this thread than responding to pm's from everyone here?

22. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    {swearing -Josh}

I'm not PMing anyone.

PM= Private Message.

As far as I am concerned, you only use PMs when it is not appropriate to discuss a matter in a public forum.

The Administrators didn't ban me, so why should I have to PM them for answers?

This is a matter between the Administrators and the entire membership if the JC. The appropriate forum for discussion is this forum and not via PM .

If they're not willing to make a sincere and coherent attempt at a 'public statement' then so be it, but I'm not going to chase them around like a dog with a bunch of PMs.

I did the right thing and posted a thread in Communications, the Admins never responded. End of story.

23. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    What else is left to talk about? I dont get it, isnt the whole thing settled? Whats left to talk about?

Hmm, how about the lack of respect that the owners of this site show towards us. How about the fact that they don't give two damns about what we have to say, and even if they did read it, they feel that they don't have to listen to listen us. Because, you see, to them, we are nothing but low-level peons, who aren't worth their time. Josh's quote about reposnding to PMs is an exmaple. LOH is right, this is a public matter that should be discussed in public not over PM.

24. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    The issue is the gorge that's been driven between all the factions here - admins, mods and users. The issue's progressed beyond tonyf's demotion (which should have been a simple exercise in compromise and tact) into a full blown conflict around how the board treats it's members.

And sad to say it's total disdain.

If that isn't an issue you think warrants debate, D-B-F, I suggest you leave the Communications forum to the grown-ups.

25. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Easy there, killers.

The reason I haven't discussed this much outside of the Mod Squad is simply because it isn't my place. While it has taken far longer than I would have liked for any resolution, there are people that handle JC matters so that I don't have to worry about it.

At times I do have to step in, and am watching this thread and those others with great interest towards a final resolution to all of these issues. I'm sorry if you think I'm ignoring you, it is simply that there are people addressing this and it is their place to do just that. I've expressed how I feel to them and when it is appropriate I will post those thoughts here.

I love the excitment and speculation of a good SPY REPORT. I care about everyone that comes to the site, esecially those that I've had the priviledge to get to know better online and offline. To say that I don't care about anyone other than myself is really sad and disheartening, since I give hours a day with a fantastic crack staff that do the same. I respect you all, though unfortunately my responsibilites largely fall outside of the JC.

Through all of this I've discovered a new appreciation for the Mod Squad, the Communications Forum and the work that admins do. I loved not having to worry about the JC much in the past - a tribute to the work that has been done here by a great team of staff members. Unfortunately, in that same sense though I've not seen it necessary to be very active in it, which is a mistake I'm working hard to correct.

I guess my whole point is that rather than continuously point out problems and rile people up, we all should be working for solutions and bringing people together. Hmmm ... maybe I should consider a life in politcs after that statement.

This has gotten ugly, but we're nearing final resolutions. If you have ideas to improve anything about the JC rather than just observe them, the communications thread is for just that.

Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.