main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Wasn't Count Dooku in Episode I?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by chopman, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    the reason why dooku wasnt in episode one is quite simple

-lucas didnt think of dooku yet

2. Bruce_the_Bith

Bruce_the_Bith Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2005
    Count Dooku, as well as Darth Maul, are all pawns of Sidious. We don't really have Sidious's backstory, but he may have come to know of little phenom Anakin before Qui-Gon even found him, and I wouldn't put it past the most powerful Force user at that date. (he was able to cloud the ENTIRE galaxy's perception, but if that's not enough, 10,000 Force-trained Jedi should still not be easily decieved like that) So someone with that power could have sensed (and probably did) a vergance (sp) in the Force (Anakin's birth/conception). Conspiracy theorists could pounce here, because Palpatine was a Naboo (as far as we know) so he could have made 1 droid, R2-D2, fix the damaged escaping ship, while the others failed, which forced the ship to land on Tatooinne, which led to Anakin's introduction to the Republic, and hence the Force, and hence Sidious.

SO, I said all that up there to show how powerful and foresightful Sidious is, and how he arranged to have Dooku push Anakin towards the dark side. So he's a pawn, and he wasn't needed in TPM. Maul was needed to be killed by Obi-Wan or someone (I believe that the emporer had thought of everything except Obi-Wan Kenobi--he was probably supposed to die on Naboo) so that Dooku, a legitimate person in the galaxy, could assemble a separatist force, to plunge the galaxy into civil war, which allows palpatine to take supreme control of the galaxy, all whilst wooing Anakin to his side (because of Sid's age, he needed a young apprentice to help him do his dirty work--but Obi-Wan will probably screw that up too).

That's the long answer! Short answer? Marketing. He said (GL) in an interview that he had a deal with the toy companies to come up with a new villian each episode this time, and the gentlemanly Dooku with his curved lightsabre (purely a marketing scheme) would sell more plastic, and make everyone richer.

3. Okeimai_Saber

Okeimai_Saber Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    The idea that this whole thing is about Anakin is just Lucas propaganda.

Half the stuff that happens in the PT has nothing to do with Anakin and, if you watch the OT, Vader is far from being the focus."

Yep

???????????????????????????????????????

Lucas said it. He's telling a story. He couldn't fill it all in one movie, so he made 3. Just because fans didn't know where it all was going doesn't mean that Vader was not an important factor. Watch the Lucas interviews. It's not Lucas propoganda, it's Lucas's idea. Lucas had Star Wars in his mind way before the movies were made. He created his own world based on his love for Flash Gordon. That is why the prequel was made, to explain more about his story about Anakin and his offspring. Just because you don't follow the continuum and purpose of Lucas in creating Star Wars doesn't give you the right to say how it should be written. Why speculate and think you have any basis for argument if you don't even base any speculation from facts. Like I said this is Lucas's film and Lucas' characters, He's telling a story. And it isn't finished yet. True fans see Star Wars for what it is, not recreate it because that's the way it should be in their minds. Star Wars is Lucas' creation. See it for what it is by getting into the mind of the creator himself. If you can clearly find me any place that Lucas himself feels like he should have put Dooku in Ep1, that is the only way that argument has a legitimate case. Palpatine is the main bad guy. Dooku doesn't last very long in the next movie, end of story.

Lucas said when he created Dooku, that he wanted to create a character for Episode II that was similar to Alec Guiness' portrayal of Obi-Wan. An older, more experienced, graceful, battle hardened Jedi. Yet fallen. Simply said Count Dooku. An instrument and a pawn in the big scheme of things. Ray Park can't act, he can just do cool stuff on screen so Darth Maul already served his purpose as far as Lucas is concerned. And as far as Palpatine is concerned, he needed a new apprentice to fill in. And since the Sith training line failed with Maul's death, and since Anakin doesn't get converted until the last movie, the logical choice is a Jedi (one of the few) who left the order. One who is capable of fulfilling his plans to start the clone wars (Enter Dooku) Here is where his significance comes into play. If it was all one movie perhaps Dooku deserves more of an explanation but not a bigger role. But it's three movies taking place over a longer period of time than the original trilogy. There is too much happening all at once and Dooku isn't the source of the calamity, Palpatine is.

And as far as it being the story of Anakin and his offspring Lucas himself said it. I thought everyone knew he said it. But if you don't believe Lucas about his own movie, what else can be said? What point is there in trying to explain?

I am Star Wars purist and I don't believe anything until I see it. True fans don't speculate, they appreciate the movie and let George tell the story. After all, it's his. Simply said if Dooku was meant to be in Episode 1, he would have been.

4. Okeimai_Saber

Apr 19, 2005
    Dooku is important to ep2 because he is the primary villian

No Palpatine is. Dooku is shown more yes but he is a pawn.

Its not like we need to establish Ki adi mundi? Is he more important then Dooku?

Yes I agree that Dooku is more important than Ki-Adi-Mundi as an individual but not any more than the Jedi collectively. Most of them are throwaway characters also. Difference is there is one Sith apprentice and thousands of Jedi Knights. They are all just characters used to explain the history that is taking place, not main characters. Dooku and the Jedi. Dooku is just a reflection of what is taking place not the creator. Palpatine is.

5. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    So was Vader, it doesn't mean they have to be shoved into a corner. One can still be a pawn and still have great development. It makes them a better pawn. With bottom of the barrel development, we're just left with a paper-thin character and loads of untapped potential. What we have is something that's barely a pawn, in the loosest sense of the word.

6. Okeimai_Saber

Apr 19, 2005
    Anakin is a major character Dooku isn't.
    Anakin is the chosen one. Dooku isn't.

Although Anakin gets used as a pawn also, the story is about him.

It's Anakin's story, the chosen one, not a temporary, fill-in, fallen Jedi.

That's the continuum of Star Wars. Sorry if you like Dooku. He's not as big a thing as you might think. Just a role-play filler/pawn for Anakin's story along with the Fall of the Republic and Rise of the Empire.

7. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, contrary to what Lucas says now, the OT wasn't Vader's story, it was Luke's. And despite that, Vader was a pawn who had more than a cameo appearance in the second chapter. As I recall, Star Wars was Luke's story, not that of an ill fated Jedi. Given that, he was more involved in the story. Then again, Lucas had already thought of Vader and wasn't an afterthought like most of the PT. What you're saying is pretty much rationalization on why Lucas didn't come up with Dooku earlier, which would have made the Prequels a better more coherent story. Yes, the Prequels are Anakin's story, but that's still not an excuse for really poorly developed villains. The OT shows it's possible to have properly developed pawns.

This is the only place I know where character development is actually frowned upon.

8. Okeimai_Saber

Apr 19, 2005
    Quoting Lucas not verbatum

He had the back story in his mind before he created Episodes 4-6.

He's going to make a new trilogy about the back story.

The prequel is the story of Anakin Skywalker.

The original trilogy is about Anakin's offspring and the redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

If it was only about Luke, why would he say something such as that.

And I believe Dooku's story is adequately developed. Enough is mentioned of him as seen fit by Lucas and he is there all through the Clone Wars cartoon.

I am personally much more interested in knowing about Palpatine and the Sith Order than just Count Dooku. Christopher Lee is a good actor. But it's kind of funny how he plays a similar role to his LOTR character, Saruman. Someone who was once good, becomes a pawn, and then gets crunched. Sauron is the real bad guy.

9. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Dooku and Grievous could have been morphed into one solid character IMO. Now we have a complex individual who's totally wasted to tie things up and a robot guy who comes out of nowhere :eek: and is only there to give Obi something to do besides sit around on his arse and meditate for half an hour. Bring me my Shuttle!

10. Okeimai_Saber

Apr 19, 2005
    Yeah I wasn't thrilled about the creation of Grievous. But oh well, it's Star Wars. I'm not going to tell George how to write his stories. It's his way and his baby.

11. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Quoting Lucas not verbatum

He had the back story in his mind before he created Episodes 4-6.

He's going to make a new trilogy about the back story.

The prequel is the story of Anakin Skywalker.

The original trilogy is about Anakin's offspring and the redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

If it was only about Luke, why would he say something such as that.

From what I've read, Lucas's backstory was just the history for Luke in the first Star Wars. It wasn't the story of Anakin Skywalker, it was the story of why Luke Starkiller was where he was at the start of the film. "This guy's father was killed by the bad guy, a volcano is involved, and Ben Kenobi did it," was the extent of the "backstory." It was in the context of serving Luke, not actually being fleshed out.

When the the premise of a sequel came up, Lucas, Kurtz and the rest of the crew decided to start take the story for the one-shot to the next level. THAT's when Empire came about, THAT's when the "grand story" came about, one that would be for episodes "VI, VII, VIII, and IX."

The story was still about Luke, but unfortunately, after some personal issues, it was decided that the sequel trilogy wouldn't happen, so they condensed the story into what became Return of the Jedi. To tie up the loose end about Vader being Luke's father, they decided to make him one and the same and made the murder metaphorical. Up until then, Vader really did kill "Anakin," but for the production of ROTJ, it was decided that Anakin would become Vader. Having Anakin become Vader was an afterthought meant to seal the story prematurely, it wasn't the over-arching element he makes it out to be now.

This whole thing about Lucas having planned out the original trilogy is bunk, in my being perfectly frank. Star Wars was a one-time movie that he wrote, it was self-contained. There was no "greater story," he didn't write one story and have the other three on the backburner like he claims, the story came up in preparation for Empire Strikes Back.

And I believe Dooku's story is adequately developed. Enough is mentioned of him as seen fit by Lucas and he is there all through the Clone Wars cartoon.

The fact his story has to be taken into an outside medium shows how weak the films are. With Vader in the OT's EU, those stories were novelties for a character that was popular. We didn't need them to understand his character or to know him, the films developed him immensely. With Dooku, the EU stories are essential supplements to know the character since he is just a throwaway Lucas thought up of after TPM.

I am personally much more interested in knowing about Palpatine and the Sith Order than just Count Dooku. Christopher Lee is a good actor. But it's kind of funny how he plays a similar role to his LOTR character, Saruman. Someone who was once good, becomes a pawn, and then gets crunched. Sauron is the real bad guy.

The difference is Saruman's role isn't condensed to a cameo in one film. He is actively a thorn in the sides of the protagonists. We get to know him early on and become familiar with him while still remaining a mystery. Compare that with Dooku, who is a pathetically developed character that shows up in the last third of chapter two. Saruman was a pawn, but an effective pawn we get to know.

12. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999
  13. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "This is the only place I know where character development is actually frowned upon."

Yep.

Its amazing the stances people will take rather then admit Lucas' writing is at fault.

14. Bruce_the_Bith

Bruce_the_Bith Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2005
    Welp, I just watched the original ORIGINAL "Star Wars" movie, and it's eerie how much it seems like what we've seen the the PT (and read in the books) ACTUALLY HAPPENED. I mean the fact that Owen Lars was so evasive when asked about Obi Wan, and how he linked him to his father. And I love the line, "I feel a disturbance in the Force. Something I haven't felt since...." spoken by Vader when Obi Wan is dismantling the tractor beams. IF ONLY HE HAD FINISHED THAT SENTENCE!!! AHHHH!!! Anyway, you can see the remnants of the Old Republic (it's even fondly talked about), and the Emporer is even mentioned.

I know this is off topic now, but oh well! While it's not blatantly obvious that Anakin is Vader, the option is left open to GL to make that connection afterward that movie was wildly successful.

And to now tie this in w/the topic. I doubt Yoda was invented in 1977 when Star Wars came out, much like Count Dooku wasn't invented in 1999. But each came out in the second movie of the series and turned out to be a pivotal/important character. Perhaps it could be argued that in the 80's, YODA was even a more throw away character than Dooku, cuz all he did was train Luke a BIT (very small amount for a Jedi) and then up and died in episode 6. Dooku on the other hand, is a major player in the dismantling of the galaxy, and then he up and dies in episode 3 (presumably). But we like Yoda more cuz he is cool and an uber Force wizard (by lifting that X-wing outa the water).

And yes, Greivous is, IMO an unneeded invention. He's just mad cool w/his 4 lightsabers, and will show how much more awesome and powerful Obi Wan is when they fight (presumably).

15. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    "This is the only place I know where character development is actually frowned upon."

It's more like this is the place where character development is frowned upon when it isn't needed.

Dooku, Maul, Grievous don't need character development - they are developed already, they don't need it - you just want it that way.

It's the same with Tarkin, ANH-Vader, OT-Boba Fett, Jabba the Hutt - they don't need character development because they already are who they're supposed to be.

With the vastness of this story and galaxy, it's impossible to give every character the screentime they need to show their developments and whatnot. There's all this talk of Dooku scenes in TPM or whatever, yet nobody has a clear purpose for Dooku actually being in TPM, aside from simply showing his face.

It's not even that he doesn't belong there, it's simply the fact that Dooku isn't present there. He has his own story which takes place outside of TPM events, in the widespanning galaxy - why is this so hard to accept?

- O_F

16. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    It's more like this is the place where character development is frowned upon when it isn't needed.

Thank you for reaffirming my point.

Dooku, Maul, Grievous don't need character development - they are developed already, they don't need it - you just want it that way.

It's the same with Tarkin, ANH-Vader, OT-Boba Fett, Jabba the Hutt - they don't need character development because they already are who they're supposed to be.

Err, they're not the same because the OT had Vader as the overarching villain. With him in the forefront, the others keep their role as secondary characters. Boba Fett was a henchman. He wasn't as significant as Darth Maul since the film wasn't building up for the "eventual confrontation with Boba Fett." If he got more development, great but it didn't happen; Jabba was spoken about throughout the OT, so that when we finally DO see him, we're aware of what his stance is with Solo. He doesn't JUST appear out of the blue in Return of the Jedi, we're aware of his presence.

Tarkin dies at the end of the first chapter, but he was a secondary character whose main purpose was to be a foil to Princess Leia. Vader the main villain of the original Star Wars. He was the one the heroes had to contend with, especially the movie's main character and his mentor. Vader was still around after all was said and done.

Compare that with Maul, Dooku, and Grievous. Unlike Jabba, you don't have their presence telegraphed earlier on in the saga, we're not given time to familiarize ourselves with the idea that these people exist. They just show up. Dooku is first mentioned in AOTC. Grievous, first mentioned in ROTS. The Emperor finally made his full appearance in ROTJ, but we were aware he existed since Star Wars, when we're told he disbanded the Senate to where he communicates with Vader about the new threat they must face. We're familiar with the idea of the Emperor. He doesn't just show up in ROTJ and we're expected to see it as commonplace.

The fact you can list them all in order of appearance and have them not relate to each other because they're so neatly confined to their one movie shows how weak their characterization is. There is no consistant visible villain for the Prequels. It's not the same as the OT since we don't have someone filling in

With the vastness of this story and galaxy, it's impossible to give every character the screentime they need to show their developments and whatnot. There's all this talk of Dooku scenes in TPM or whatever, yet nobody has a clear purpose for Dooku actually being in TPM, aside from simply showing his face.

Slippery slope, the request to give more development to an overarching villain that's to be a consistent threat to the heroes has to become an outrageous demand for your point to have any validity. There was plenty of screetime available. If you've read the thread, there have been many suggestions, all of which are feasible, to include Dooku into the first chapter of the prequels.

"Showing his face" or whatever, as long as we're given a chance to at least be familiarized with the character, it would be a great improvement over the farce of an appearance he makes in AOTC. It was mentioned that he could easily have taken the place of Ki Adi Mundi in Episode I. Are you going to argue that we HAVE to see Ki Adi Mundi in the film? It has to be specifically him who speaks that line, and it's impossible for Dooku to speak it?

It's not even that he doesn't belong there, it's simply the fact that Dooku isn't present there. He has his own story which takes place outside of TPM events, in the widespanning galaxy - why is this so hard to accept?

Or maybe it could be that Lucas isn't that great a writer - why is that so hard to accept?

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Maul should've stayed throughout the PT, Qui-Gon should've assumed the role of Dooku(sans Sith affiliation)and been a real Jedi rebel who has discovered the truth, but would keep the audience guessing about his honesty.

18. Okeimai_Saber

Apr 19, 2005
    You either like Star Wars or you don't. Don't try to change it. Nobody has any right to dictate how it should be written. It's Lucas' story and he knows how important every character is and writes them in accordingly. Don't try to make up their importance on your own.

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    You either like Star Wars or you don't. Don't try to change it. Nobody has any right to dictate how it should be written. It's Lucas' story and he knows how important every character is and writes them in accordingly. Don't try to make up their importance on your own.
    True fans see Star Wars for what it is, not recreate it because that's the way it should be in their minds.

Don't tell us only "true fans" follow Star Wars without question.

We're here to debate and question.

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001

I don't think so.

These are DISCUSSION forums and discussing what things could should or will be changed is very much a part of the discussion around here. Don't try to tell people what they should and should not post here or you won't last long.

21. Okeimai_Saber

Apr 19, 2005
    Maul should've stayed throughout the PT, Qui-Gon should've assumed the role of Dooku(sans Sith affiliation)and been a real Jedi rebel who has discovered the truth, but would keep the audience guessing about his honesty.

What purpose would that serve?

22. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    For starters, it would flesh out Obi-wan's character even more, so that he isn't relegated to being a secondary character in Episode I; by merging Qui-gon and Dooku, we can get a better sense of the character's fall, more perspective so we can see what he was like before. It would also heighten the character's mystery, by seeing him as heroic at first, it blurs the line of where he stands, adds a level of ambiguity and depth. It'll make the character interesting. And for Maul, keeping him around, we get a better sense of danger from the Sith since he lives to fight another day. Knowing he's out there and how powerful he can be, we're forced to take him as a threat more seriously. He fills in the visible villain role by seeing him again as a force to be reckoned with. It's not that hard to see. Good show, Shane.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Okemai
    What purpose would that serve

Basically Dooku is much like Qui-Gon correct? They're both mavericks,republic is corrupt, disobeys the JC, etc.

Now, according to the EU, Sifo-Dyas was also: a maverick, thought the republic was corrupt, disobeyed the JC, etc.

If you merge all of these characters into Qui-Gon you streamline the narrative and story.

Plus, it makes the mystery more mysterious for the audience. As Loco points out, the audience would already see Qui-Gon as seemingly heroic, but would then begin to wonder in AOTC. Is he secretly in league with the Sith?
    Imagine the Qui-Gon Fan Clubs that would be rocked. :)

In movies, you have limited time to tell your story. Words, dialogue, and visuals are prescious.

By combining Qui-Gon/Dooku/ and Sifo-Dyas, all of which share the same attributes and motivations, you can streamline the narrative and story.

Good points Loco. :)

24. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Err, they're not the same because the OT had Vader as the overarching villain

And the PT has the Phantom Menace.

With him in the forefront, the others keep their role as secondary characters.

With Sidious in the background, we get to see characters fill their roles as visible villains.

He wasn't as significant as Darth Maul since the film wasn't building up for the "eventual confrontation with Boba Fett.

What's your point?

Mauls significance lies in the fact that, eventually, there will be a confrontation with him - nothing more, nothing less. He serves the purpose you just gave him.

Tarkin dies at the end of the first chapter, but he was a secondary character whose main purpose was to be a foil to Princess Leia. Vader the main villain of the original Star Wars.

It's the same with Maul actually. He's a secondary character whose main purpose is to be a fail to QuiGon/Kenobi/Amidala. Sidious is the main villain of the PT, his actions are routed in nearly every scene, he just isn't as visible as Vader ever was.

we're not given time to familiarize ourselves with the idea that these people exist. They just show up. Dooku is first mentioned in AOTC. Grievous, first mentioned in ROTS.

Who says we're supposed to familiarize ourselves with them?

They're henchmen, Jabba & The Emperor aren't - so they really aren't comparable to the likes of the Sith Aprentices.

is no consistant visible villain for the Prequels

True, i guess it would've been better had George started the prequels off with a Episode titled and constantly playing off the concept of...i don't know, "The Phantom Menace" or something like that.

....oh no wait a minute....

There was plenty of screetime available. If you've read the thread, there have been many suggestions, all of which are feasible, to include Dooku into the first chapter of the prequels.

....to you.

To me, Dooku's a villain. I don't need another Vader, because i already have my Vader in the OT. Would replacing Ki Adi Mundi with Dooku have been better? I have no idea, it adds nothing to Dookus character that he be in TPM, that we don't know already.

We know he was a honourable Jedi once, we know he had his problems ("political idealist") etc etc.

Perhaps it would've been better to "show, don't tell". But i could really care less, because everything you want Dooku to have is already there for me.

It would also heighten the character's mystery, by seeing him as heroic at first, it blurs the line of where he stands, adds a level of ambiguity and depth.

So we'd basically have 2 Anakins?

Or maybe it could be that Lucas isn't that great a writer - why is that so hard to accept?

Maybe because everything you're using to discredit the PT....was written by George Lucas himself. Let's not forget that ;)

- O_F

25. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "I doubt Yoda was invented in 1977 when Star Wars came out, much like Count Dooku wasn't invented in 1999."

Yoda wasn;t invented then you're right, but unlike dooku when he was created a lot of thought went into him and he was introduced and executed well.

"It's the same with Tarkin, ANH-Vader, OT-Boba Fett, Jabba the Hutt - they don't need character development because they already are who they're supposed to be."

But what is there to figure out with any of these characters they are all straightforward.

Dooku has a complicated background, he is a former Jedi, who left the order, the movie never says why, he started seperatist movement, he is a Count (again we dont know how or why) and he turned from good to evil.

Thats immensely complicated. that begs some explanation.

Maul was simple. Evil sith warrior

that was it, he was like vader, easy to figure out.

"By combining Qui-Gon/Dooku/ and Sifo-Dyas, all of which share the same attributes and motivations, you can streamline the narrative and story."

conversely by having so many similar characters you negate the importance of any of them and they all appear bland and unoriginal. One distinct well fleshed out character is always better then 3 poorly drawn ones.

"They're henchmen, Jabba & The Emperor aren't - so they really aren't comparable to the likes of the Sith Aprentices."

You;re looking at this in an 'in universe' way and not in a cinematic sense. It doesn't matter that the emperor is the highest ranking villian, its a matter of within the story.

many action films have a henchman as the primary nemesis that must be overcome by the hero. lots of the bond movies are like this.

TPM was not about confronting sidious, niether is AOTC. Dooku and Jango are the main villians of AOTC. they are the obstacle for the heros to fight against.

Jango is set up but has no pay off (a fight with mace? thats a whole topic in itself. He should of rematched obiwan)

Dooku pays off (sort of) but is not set up.

"So we'd basically have 2 Anakins?"

well thats the main problem with dooku in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.