main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Episode 3 have its own score?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by irishd2, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The opening crawl should start with the opening use of the Jaws theme from the original movie. Screw the main theme.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Well,I was thinking for the whole Empire Sith concept"

...Which we already have themes for.

"The opening crawl should start with the opening use of the Jaws theme from the original movie."

Yeah! And instead of panning down after the crawl, we'll do BULLET TIME AROUND A SPACESHIP!!!! OH YEAH!!!

3. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
  4. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Wouldn't it be LASER TIME?

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Considering that all other possibilities are taken, I believe it is reasonable to assume the 'single' for Episode III will be Jar Jar's theme. Cheers! :)

In all seriousness, does just Padmé herself have a theme? OK, that would be kind of a lame single though. What about some sort of death of the Jedi theme. It would be used a lot ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Considering that all other possibilities are taken, I believe it is reasonable to assume the 'single' for Episode III will be Jar Jar's theme. Cheers!"

Sorry, that's taken already too.

"Death of the Jedi Theme"? LOL, yeah, that really rolls off the tongue. :p

And if we get that theme, people will wonder why it doesn't play when Obi-Wan and Yoda die.

7. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Theme from SHAFT for Mace's scene?

:p

Is it certain there will be a "single"?

Perhaps a medley of themes from throughout the saga will provide the backdrop to a video "single"...

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I know there's already a gungan/Jar-Jar theme, but we can always use another one, right?

And if we get that theme, people will wonder why it doesn't play when Obi-Wan and Yoda die.

That's simple. Yoda has his own theme and Obi-Wan is apparently Princess Leia :)

It's not certain there will be a 'single', but it would seem a little weird for there not to be one, wouldn't it? All the others have had one. I'd kind of like to see a variation on an existing theme used for the Duel, mabye. In the vein of the Force theme being used for ATS, I mean.

Or maybe Grevious will have a theme.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "but we can always use another one, right?"

Um, you want the darkest, most evil, and possibly best Star Wars movie yet to have its big single be a Gungan Theme? :eek:

\\prays John Williams doens't see your posts

But yes, as already said by the esteemed poster, General_PoopBrown_Kenobi, most likely General Grevious will have a theme. Well, probably more like a motif.

But I doubt that such a minor character in terms of everything else going on the movie will really have a great big theme.

10. Charth_Maul

Charth_Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2001
    ANH
    -Luke/Obi-Wan/Force Theme
    -Leia's Theme
    -Rebel Fanfare (Theme)
    -Vader motif

TESB
    -Imperial March
    -Han Solo/Leia Love Theme
    -Yoda's Theme
    -Boba Fett motif
    -Cloud City motif

ROTJ
    -Emperor's Theme
    -Ewok Theme
    -Luke and Leia Theme

TPM
    -Duel of the Fates
    -Anakin's Theme
    -Trade Federation Theme
    -Jar Jar motif

AOTC
    -Anakin/Padme Love Theme
    -Mystery Theme

ROTS
    -??

No doubt, I think by tradition Episode III will have some (isolated) theme. I'm thinking Jedi Purge or Clone Wars music...after all, the Imperial March wasn't even written until TESB, so a Clone War theme could still happen. Either way, I'd put my money on some new music from the mind of JW.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes but as I understand it (from a non-spoiled POV), the Clone Wars are wrapping up in EpIII and the focus is more the Jedi Purge. That's why I thought some kind of 'death of the Jedi' theme might be appropriate. Sure, we've had music for Jedi deaths on a small scale, but nothing like that. I can also see that possibly working in congunction with a Grevious theme somehow.

Um, you want the darkest, most evil, and possibly best Star Wars movie yet to have its big single be a Gungan Theme?

Oh, absolutely. What could be more horrifying? [face_mischief]

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. starwars3833

starwars3833 Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2004
    i'm hoping there will be two new themes:
    wookie
    and grevious

13. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    I think a Grievous theme, or at least a motif, is the most we can count on. The rest of the score is anyone's guess.

14. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I imagine that JW will compose a hymn of sorts for the Republic. You know, a theme that has the quality of "This is it, there's no turning back now". It would be a sad but pompous melody.
    Sort of like Across the stars, but without the element of love.

15. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I think the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel should have it's own theme only for that duel, just like, despite Luke, Vader and the emperor having there own themes, there is a special theme being played only one place in the whole saga right before Luke chops off Vaders hand. It could be called Betrayal. How about that? I mean, Anakin betraying his master is such an important turnpoint in the saga that it is worthy of its own theme don't you think?

"If that's the case, then why isn't it played in the duel in ANH", you ask. Well that moment is no longer so grand when you have already seen Anakin betray his master once before. Nevertheless, you were kinda hoping that goodness would prevail this time around and therefore we have the dramatic and shocking motif when Obi Wan dies.

16. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    yeah that theme is called "the Darkside Beckons", very haunting & emotional

17. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, if you mean concert suites, so far we've had, as far as I know:

The Phantom Menace:

- Duel of the Fates
    - Anakin's Theme
    - The Flag Parade (the suite version of this is not on either TPM release, but trust me, there is one out there! ;) )

Attack of the Clones:

-Across the Stars

A New Hope:

- The Star Wars Theme (the suite is not on the ANH:SE release - I heard this on the wonderful "John Williams Conducts the Skywalker Symphony" CD)
    - Princess Leia's Theme
    - The Little People (Skywalker Symphony again)
    - Here They Come! (Yep, you guessed it - Skywalker Symphony!)

The Empire Strikes Back:

- Yoda's Theme
    - The Imperial March
    - Han Solo and the Princess (for some criminal reason, the suite version of this was left off the ESB:SE release - wheoever made that decision should hang their head in shame, as it's a beautiful suite, and I had to hunt it down to finally find a soundtrack compilation that had it)
    - The Asteroid Field (Skywalker Symphony)

Return of the Jedi:

- Parade of the Ewoks
    - Luke and Leia
    - The Forest Battle
    - Jabba the Hutt (yep, he has one - Skywalker Symphony again!)

I don't think I've missed any out, but I may have. So so far, as far as I know, the two main themes in the movies that do NOT have their own concert suite are The Emperor's Theme and the Force Theme/Obi-Wan's Theme. I've always hoped that a suite of the Force Theme would be written one day, so I'm crossing my fingers for RotS, but I'm not holding my breath. Perhaps we'll get a suite version of the Imperial theme from ANH - that could be the theme for the RISE of the Empire, rather than the Imperial March which is about Vader and the might of the Empire. The rise of the Empire is finally complete in ANH with the closing of the Senate, so it makes sense that that theme would be a big theme in RotS, and then there'd be hints of it in ANH. I know Williams has said that that Imperial Theme will probably be in RotS, so we'll have to wait and see. :)

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    That's a nice view of the Imperial theme! Never thought of it that way. Now it makes sense that it doesn't appear in TESB or ROTJ. If you're right, that is....

19. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    DarthMarkyMark, where did you eventually find the "Han Solo and the Princess" suite ??

20. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I never found an "official" recording of the Han Solo and the Princess suite, I'm afraid - not one conducted by Williams, anyway. I found the track on a 4-CD Williams tribute set, called "The Music of John Williams: 40 Years of Film Music", recorded by the Prague Philhamonic Orchestra. The recordings on the set are really excellent, and many sound like Williams himself has conducted them, and the "Han and the Princess" suite is truly wonderful. The set also has the "Flag Parade" suite from TPM on it. But like I said, I'm afraid these aren't official SW recordings (though they are excellent, certainly among the best of the tribute collections out there), and there might be a real official recording out there somewhere as far as I know, and I think the set was pretty expensive if I remember right. I got it here in the UK, but I guess in the US it'd be about, what, $40?

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah! And instead of panning down after the crawl, we'll do BULLET TIME AROUND A SPACESHIP!!!! OH YEAH!!!

LOL!!

22. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I believe the "Han Solo and the Princess" suite was written, but never recorded, by Williams during the Empire Strikes Back scoring sessions.

23. AnakinsFinalTurn

AnakinsFinalTurn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2004
    i hope at the end of ep3 it plays the imperial march instead of the basic good music.

i would also like to here the force theme in a fight scene.

24. StarWarsFan2005

StarWarsFan2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2004
    You guys are a bunch of idiots ...of course Episode III is going to have it's own score...what a stupid question to ask...

Trent

25. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Yes, an I am going to get it and listen to it when I'm inline waiting to see the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.