main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will Indy 4 distract GL from Episode 3?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stormcloud8, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ugly_Dookling

Ugly_Dookling Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2002
    Right-O

I guess I will just have to see EPISODE III more than once then. :)

2. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    So people are admitting that both Coppola and DePalma have delivered horrible work over the last couple of decades, and still they want those guys to help George out because George has delivered horrible work...? ?[face_plain]

Doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm not opposed to the idea of collaboration. I'm just not as convinced as some folks here that collaboration isn't the very thing that brought the last couple of Star Wars movies to life. The bashing of McCallum continues, but it has dropped considerably in volume after the release of AOTC. The only reasons I've EVER seen for not liking him and calling him a yes-man is that 1) he gushes about Star Wars in the media, and 2) you personally didn't like TPM. From these two facts some people draw the conclusion that McCallum is a bad producer and just kisses Lucas' ass whatever happens.

Anyone can see that this is utter BS.

The only insight into the production of the new films that we ever had was the documentary on the TPM disc. In that bit of film McCallum seemed like the dream producer to me; full of energy, focused beyond the believable (see the storm in Tunisia...), incredibly decent, truly enthusiastic about SW, incredibly skilled in getting the work done every single day while still never attracting any words of dissent from neither cast nor crew. I could go on with giving you exact examples of Rick telling George what not to do on numerous occasions, but I'll just insist you all go and read 'The Making of Episode I'. Stop pretending that you know what goes on inside Lucasfilm.

It's just insane to blame Rick for the way George writes and directs his movies.

A producer's job is to enable the director to make exactly the movie he or she wants to make. What do we hail Gary Kurtz for? For giving Kershner the room he needed to do whatever he wanted with TESB. What do we bash Rick McCallum for? For giving Lucas the room he needed to do whatever he wanted with TPM.

Don't tell me you can't see that this simply comes down to whether you like the film or not.
    It's got nothing to do with the producer's work.

3. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    I agree. Isn't great that Lucas has a producer working with him with so much energy and enthusiasm for SW?

It's a lot better than having someone who couldn't care less!

4. Darthmcm

Darthmcm Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Im so happy my nipples are hard

5. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    McCallum's a dream producer for a director because he never confronts said director. Just look at that documentary you keep citing: When they looked at the first cut of MENACE, Ben Burtt was the only one who wanted to examine the work critically. Even Lucas thought he had "gone too far" and looked dejected. Does McCallum help? No, he keeps telling everyone how wrong they are and that the movie is perfect.

McCallum's not a bad producer, but he doesn't have half the load that most producers have: namely, he's never had to actually get a project off the ground (one of the most important jobs or a producer), he's never had to worry about who is working on his movie (who wouldn't do a STAR WARS movie), and he's never had to worry about budget, as the director is paying for everything and is well aware that he needs to keep things under control. Sure, he keeps the daily miniutae off Lucas's plate, but that makes him more of an assistant then a true producer. A more telling example of his abilities will be if he ever works outside of Lucasfilm.

6. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Ahem ... that post is full of faults, Bresson ---

Lucasfilm was not McCallum's first job as a producer. He's got plenty of stuff on his CV, but you're making it look like he's some overnight LFL wonderboy. Like Lucas said "oh, you don't oppose me, come and work on Star Wars". Not the case. McCallum even served as director on previous projects. He's not Lucas' private butler.

And the documentary pretty clearly shows McCallum challenging the editors (Lucas and Burtt) following the rough cut screening. He says stuff like - "When you were in there...did it feel like the original Star Wars to you?", basically doing his job and doing it dam well.

7. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    Summer 2005
    Lucas and Spielberg Strike Back

After several box-office failures for Spielberg and two consectuive critical failures for Lucas the two greatest minds in the Film Industry join arms to create the ULTIMATE summer in the history of movies.

Lucas will head the reigns of his final installment in the epic Star Wars Saga with Episode III and Spielberg will come back to direct the greatest action hero of all time.

The Box-Office will be OWNED by Spielberg and Lucas...This will be a summer long remembered!
    :D

~ICeBReaKeR
    Custom Prop Builder and Collector
    His abilities have made him...arrogant

8. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    This is hardly the same, but Jurassic Park didn't distract Steven Spielberg from Schindler's List, and I happen to think that are two very good films indeed, so hopefully the same logic can be applied to Episode III and Indiana Jones IV :D.

9. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "After several box-office failures for Spielberg and two consectuive critical failures for Lucas the two greatest minds in the Film Industry join arms to create the ULTIMATE summer in the history of movies."

Huh? AOTC critical failure? It was mixed at worse. Minority Report box office failure?
    Whachoo talking about Willis? :)

10. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    It's just the way mainstream media want to present it, because it sells magazines etc. LFL insist they have elaborate data on how TPM was recieved; in the USA it had 40% negative reviews and 60% positive, and the exit polls conducted over the 4 first weeks of the film's release were excellent. In any case, the media will call it a failure to feed their own fires.

This is what you do; you jump on everything with the name Star Wars on it, make big features on even the first 30 second trailer, and devote miles of coverage up until the movie's release. Why? Because it sells. Then the movie is out. Now, how are you gonna sell more magazines and get more people to watch your TV show? By saying; OK, good movie, next one? Nope. By bashing the hell out of the film, and more importantly out of Lucas and his money. This way, you can keep making big fat loads off Star Wars for months after the movie's release.

Hype and Bash - it's a design.

11. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    MadMartigan you are 100% incorrect.

George Lucas was in the editing room almost everyday AFTER principal photography and AFTER pickup shots were finished for AOTC. He was also present during ADR of the actors and CG characters, not to mention with Rydstrom when putting together the final mix, not to mention with Williams in London for the recording of the score.

So, don't give me that crap about George's burden being easier after the writing and shooting the flick.

The problem gets even worse, though. If Spielberg has another project he wants to do right after Indy, he'll most likely hand post-production supervision over to Lucas just like he did for Jurassic Park when he went off to do Schindler's List. In which case, George would be handling post-production for Indy 4 at the same time as Ep3.

That is a heck of a burden!

12. Ayla_Kenobi

Ayla_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I hope not :(

13. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    Vonn;

Don't worry. Episode III is George's baby, but he won't have that much input on Indy 4. Being executive producer is something George can do in his sleep, and with Frank Marshall producing and Steven Spielberg directing there's not much George will need to get busy about. Notice that McCallum has not taken the gig. He wouldn't be able to produce both movies at the same time. But Lucas' input on Indy 4 will probably be mostly in writing and pre-production. Once shooting starts, it's Spielberg's show. George won't be behind the camera, and I doubt if he'll be much in the editing room - you can't have 2 directors, after all.

I'm not worried. If Lucas wants to do it, he can pull it off. Like I said earlier, having The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark in production at about the same time didn't hurt either film, imo.

14. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    (GL) "I am writing both Episode III and Episode IV in two different series. The third 'Star Wars' and the fourth 'Indiana Jones'."

I just hope we dont see Obi Wan ending up with a whip and Indy with a lightsaber!!! :eek:

The above quote taken from the following article

GL interview

15. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Bresson, did Brian de Palma really write the opening crawl for ANH?

16. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    He re-wrote some of it to make it easier to understand.

17. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    OK then, thanks for that.

18. Darthmcm

Darthmcm Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I cant wait for both.

19. BobaFett688

BobaFett688 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2001
    Yeah, Coppola is a better writer/director than Lucas. After all, he did The Godfather. But I don't think Coppola would be good for Episode III; he'd probably turn Anakin into an intergalactic mob boss.

But we're not talking about that, now, are we? I seriously hope Indy 4 doesn't distract Lucas. And please tell me he's not writing Episode III by himself! PLEASE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.