main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[WIP]General Grievous (movie real)

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Ravenger, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenger

Ravenger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 2, 2005
    no those are my ears but i did use yours as a refrence so they are similar wireframe wise.
    and yes i tend to agree with the curve at the bottom of his mask i'll look into it but i cant put my finger on what you mean with the corner of his eye

2. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Hey morpher, I do use Anim8or. The reason i always ask for .3ds is because when I tried in the past to imoprt .obj, I got an error message saying error reading file.

3. morpher-2005

morpher-2005 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2005
    I do not use the application, but I visited their official site and read that it can import .3ds, .low and .obj (and maybe some others that I can't remember). You may actually want to contact one of their staff with your problem, because I'm sure most people here will back me up when I say .obj is miles better than .3ds. You're missing out on alot. The only problem I've ever had with .obj is that the textures occasionally disappear, but it's only happened a few times. More than likely, the possitioning of objects in .3ds will be messed up, and the textures will be funny aswell. But I only speak from my experience, some may prefer it.

4. Clone_Commander169

Clone_Commander169 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    im not wanting to be very pushy here with these othos ravenger lol but i was wondering if its posible if u can get them done by next monday?

5. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    i can try but why do you want them so badly i still dont understand?

6. Clone_Commander169

Aug 11, 2005
    i need them for a model, no chance of it comming out like yours lol but i need to make sure things get to scale, if thats alright?

7. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    hi guys i've been working on getting grievous textured now sadly a very strange error has poped up
    apearantly almost the entire model's UV's have been corupted i dont know how or why but when ever i try to apply a texture to the mesh i apply it to. it becomes transpearant and it has small black an white lines all over it

does anyone have a clue as what i can do to fix this?

[image=http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/560/leg1jk.jpg]
    this is what happans the moment i try to apply the texture.
    acording to some people on CGtalk it has to do with the UV's

thanks
    alex

8. Clone_Commander169

Aug 11, 2005
    Ravenger

Once again, i hate to be an anoiance but your the only one who can help me here, i am almost finished my battle droid and am going to start my general grievous on tuesday, but i am in serious need of orthos. now i understand that you are very busy and probably stressed with your texturing problem, but all i ask if for a simple render of a front, back, top, botom and side view of grivouse that dosnt even have to be textured. if you dont wish to send them out then i understand, and ill find some other way to make sure my grievous will be to scale, but if you can suply them, it will be a tramendous help and will save me alot of time.

Thanks

9. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    I have no idea about the texturing, is that a UV view or just a shaded view of the object? I think what they mean by UV's is that you need to texture with UV's, basically, by default, nothing is textured correctly (accept for simple objects) and so you have to Unwrap the object, where you can draw the textures in the form of the model.

10. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    i know that but that what your suggesting is exactly what it wont do
    i've created a UV map for the parts but as soon as i apply it it turns transperant and it renders like that aswel

11. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    That's extremely weird. You could try creating a new file and importing the mesh into the new file and see if it still has that problem. That way you can find out if it's the file or the mesh.

12. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    been there done that i even tried exporting it to a new format but it still didnt work.
    i'm gonna attempt tinkering around with a single part of the mesh thats affected
    see if i can find out what the problem is. if anyone has anymore idea's please feel free to share them

13. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    ok i fixed the problem
    and i can now get to texturing this monster.

now does someone know how i can make a bone texture in photoshop
    people keep saying something about a marble effect but i dont exactly know how to do that ether so if someone could provide me with some photoshop tutorials concering things like this please feel free to let me know.
    also if someone knows if there is a decent subsurface scattering shader or plugin for maya anyways also could you let me know.

thanks and expect an update soon.

14. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    its been a while since the last update most of it is because i have a world of warcraft relapse
    but now ive found a balance between wow and modeling

also ive goten quite familiar with photoshop.
    and this is the result i have so far.
    many thanks to jeneraljarjar for providing me with the very high res refrence pics they realy helped

critism is welcome.
    this modeling will be the crown juel in my demoreel :p

[image=http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5193/grievoustextured6ed.jpg]

15. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Ravenger you learn fast. Looks really nice, still needs to be dirtied up more, and possibley make the cuts and everything a bit more prominant especially in the chest area. Mabe a bit more yellowish? Good job.

16. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    another update!!

why make him more yellow? he's actualy white
    most of the yellow comes from the lighting around him

how ever i gave him a yellow tint

also i was planning on making the cracks and scratches more pronounced by using a bump map

anyway enjoy. and awaiting critics

[image=http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/5427/grievoustextured24ur.jpg]

17. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    here i am again with an update

ive dirtied up the face a bit more and i think the result is quite nice
    also i took some time and tried to make the flesh around the eyes but those need mroe work
    this is just to get some feedback on the mask itself so please
    some critism is very welcome

[image=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4703/grcloseup5xb.jpg]

18. PalpatineSpecter

PalpatineSpecter Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2004
    Sorry, Eye too far!

19. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    Yea I know most of the yellow comes from the lighting and SSS, but I just like it that way :D

20. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    It looks very nice, maybe make the dirt on his face a bit darker, maybe it's a bit to soft

21. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    update time!

i've redone the face texture
    awaiting C&C

[image=http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/7013/grcloseup26yb.jpg]

22. Clone_Commander169

Aug 11, 2005
    looks really great! but, i think the face is too dark. that and the rest of him is same colour as the face.. make it a mix of what u had before and what u have now and it should be good

23. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    wel i've redone a bit more of the texture ive darkened most of the other textures and made the mask slightly lighter also ive dirtied up the shoulders ect.
    next up will be finishing the flesh around the eyes and the eyes themselves
    does anyone have any tips on making the eyes look real cause right now i just have normal spheres for eyes

thanks
    awaiting C&C

[image=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9879/grcloseup31dp.jpg]

24. PalpatineSpecter

PalpatineSpecter Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2004
    How much poly now?

25. Ravenger

Apr 2, 2005
    unsmoothed its 200.000 poly's when its smoothed its well over 8 million

Thread Status: