main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wolverine Movie in the Works

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I just found this on Cinescape:

After being talked about as a likely possibility for the past four years, the first concrete development towards making a WOLVERINE movie a reality has happened: 20th Century Fox has hired screenwriter David Benioff to pen a script based on the loner X-Man with the mutant healing factor and adamantium claws.

Before you consider that the Wolvie movie is a done deal, remember that Fox hasn't inked a contract with star Hugh Jackman just yet -- although it's likely Jackman will be back to play the character for a third time. Since it's a stand alone picture separate from the X-MEN film franchise, that means Fox won't have to cut checks for a dozen lead actors this time around. Right now the studio's biggest cost would be getting Jackman to commit to star in the picture, and his price in a post-VAN HELSING Hollywood will likely be in the eight figure range with maybe some profit participation thrown in. The real challenge for Fox will be to see if they can sign Jackman to a multi-picture deal similar to the one Pierce Brosnan signed to play MGM's James Bond, opening the door for Jackman to star in WOLVERINE sequels and maybe even third and fourth X-MEN flicks.

Talks are also underway for X-MEN producers Lauren Shuler Donner and Avi Arad to be involved with the WOLVERINE film, but it doesn't seem a door is likely to be opened for Bryan Singer or Tom DeSanto.

Benoiff's last produced credit was Wolfgang Petersen's TROY which took in $133 million dollars domestically. His other credits include the script for STAY, a thriller in post-production, and THE 25TH HOUR for director Spike Lee.

I really hope that something happens with this. Wolverine was always my favorite X-Man as a kid, and just kicks ass in the new X-Men movies.

2. jedidc

jedidc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    Would this be a sort of prequel to X Men?

3. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    It wouldn't have to be.
    Wolverine has always had his own thing going along side his membership in the X-men.

But if they can't get Jackman, they shouldn't do it at all.

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't know if it would even be in the same canon as X-Men, although I assume that it would be. I guess it would be like Elektra is to Daredevil.

5. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Best guess is it's set between X2 and X3 -- Wolverine goes on a sabbatical to Japan as he mourns the death of Jean Grey. Desperate to find some inner peace, he finds himself wrapped up in a "Last Samurai"-style storyline (based on his initial limited comic series) where bits of his past (taken from Origin) come to the forefront in flashback form. He finds himself falling in love with Mariko Yashida (Zhang Ziyi?), daughter of a triad leader, despite his still-fresh memories of Jean and the guilt that goes with betraying them. This relationship comes to a tragic ending by the third act when Mariko is poisoned and begs Wolverine to perform a mercy killing -- setting off a one-man war between Wolverine and the triads.

Of course, this being a Hollywood movie with merchandising considerations, they'll have to shoehorn Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike and maybe Jubilee in there somewhere.

6. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I was sort of hoping for more on the Weapon X project stuff.

7. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    That's the best story to go with. The weapon X flashbacks were too brief in X2.

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I know! I was annoyed when they didn't have more. Even if they don't, Wolverine kicking ass is more than enough

9. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    We need Alpha Flight thrown in (complete with campy spandex outfits covered in maple leafs!)!

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    A Wolverine movie would be awesome to see.

11. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I'm glad Wolverine is getting his own movie, so in X3 they can give some of the other characters more to do and not focus on him so much.

12. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Hopefully this means he'll have a smaller role in the next X-Men films.

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Seeing that there are different writers, that X3 is already in the works and that this is just at the writer's stage, I don't think that we'll see any reduced role.

14. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    He'll probably still get most of the focus. He's easily the most recognizable face in the franchise, especially to the common fan.

15. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    [face_plain]

I hope this doesn't get approved. Just stick with x-men. One more and call i quits before you start casting WB stars for roles.

dkt

16. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Cool. Hopefully this means that X3 can focus more on Cyclops, Colossus and others instead of Wolverine.

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Here's something about this from Filmforce:

Wolverine Finds a Director?
    One rumored candidate revealed!

December 06, 2004 - According to Coming Attractions at Cinescape Online, Fox's big-screen Wolverine movie may have found a director.

CA reports, citing a "trustworthy" source, that "Underworld director Len Wiseman has been approached about directing the Wolverine movie. How long ago Wiseman was offered the job, whether he's the only director being offered the gig and what his answer was (or even if one has been given by Wiseman) all remain unknown. All we know is that he's been asked."

Wiseman is currently lensing Underworld 2 with his wife Kate Beckinsale. That werewolves & vampires sequel isn't scheduled to be completed before late March 2005; X-Men 3 is slated for a summer 2005 start. That gives Wiseman plenty of time before tackling Wolverine, should he accept the job.

You may recall that Troy's David Benioff is scripting the X-Men spin-off for star Hugh Jackman and producers Avi Arad and Lauren Shuler Donner.

18. Dolphin_Jedi

Dolphin_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2004
    I really hope Hugh Jackman is involved with this project... he is a babe! ;)

---------------

[face_love] & :*

@};- Allie @};-

19. Mister_Bunny

Mister_Bunny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2001
    Well, if they go at it the way the comics did, he's gonna have to fight the Hulk.

While wearing bright yellow.

I hope they don't mess it up. Bub!

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    That would be interesting, although I think that I'd like to see him go up against the Punisher. [face_evil]

I really hope they don't bring back the yellow spandex. Looks good on paper, not on film.

21. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Hopefully this will coincide with X3. One coming out in the summer. One for Christmas. Then 2006 would truly be the year for X-Men. X3 will probably focus away from Wolverine a bit due to the X2 ending.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [image=http://wolverine.x-knights.com/fullsize/wolverine73.jpg]

Coolest. Wolverine. Pic. Ever.

23. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I agree VadersLaMent, that's a good pic of classic Wolverine. I like everything about it. The shadowing, just everything is incredible.

24. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    That's an awesome picture! I was always more of a collector of the trading cards. I still have all mine.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I first saw the pic as a trading card--1994 Flair "Power Blast" card #8--and learned it was a piece of cover art from Wolverine #69.

I always liked how bulky Wolverine looked as drawn by most artists. He's 5'3" tall and weighs 200lbs and currently in Marvel Comics he is as strong as Captain America, able to get 800lbs over his head.

I had big doubts about the X-Men movie, but I was convinced that Jackman was the perfect choice the moment he sat down at the bar, lit a cigar, and placed his elbow on the bar. Perfect. Perfect mannerism, perfect look, perfect attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.