main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Wookie Fan's Artwork * Update Dec 03.07

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by wookie_fan, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wookie_fan

wookie_fan Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    I finished a Princess Leia drawing the other day. I have a few other Star Wars works in progress, but they're not done yet.

The Leia drawing below was made in Illustrator. I'm not sure it's 100% finished; I may fiddle around with it in the future, but nothing too drastic.

[image=http://www.graphics.ms11.net/portfolio_images/sw_leia.jpg][image=http://www.graphics.ms11.net/portfolio_images/chewbacca.jpg]
    [image=http://www.graphics.ms11.net/portfolio_images/sandtrooper1.jpg] [image=http://www.graphics.ms11.net/portfolio_images/larger/troopers_large.jpg]

If you dig around my site (the link is in my sig line), you can find 3 Star Wars drawings I did when I was a kid, in the "early art" section.

When I was in 4th grade, the teacher had us incorporate a pretzel in our art for one lesson. I used mine to make Darth Vader's mask. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I did with that piece, so it's not on the site...

Edit, Aug 12, 2007. I finished the Chewbacca drawing. It too was drawn in Illustrator
    October 27, 2007. The Sand Trooper drawing was done in Illustrator

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Lovely! I like the graphics in it, too (having Yavin in the small window works really well, I think!). You say this was done in Illustrator--is this done layered over the photo, or an actual freehand drawing of her (if it's freehand, I'm in awe! :) )? I like this piece--and welcome to Fan Art!

FF

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A great classical pose of Leia and beautiful background.

4. wookie_fan

Jun 12, 2005
    Thank you for the kind words about my artwork, FalconFan and earlybird-obi-wan! I've skimmed over some of the threads here by other members - there are a lot of talented people here!

I used a photograph of Princess Leia as a template, but I drew the image 'by hand' (so to speak) in Illustrator.

So the final work you see is 99% Illustrator; it is not a drawing merged with or layered over a photo. (I hope my explanation makes sense!)

The other 1% of the drawing was of a slight drop shadow added in Photoshop.

I could've done the shadow in Illustrator, but I already had Photoshop open and was too lazy to go back. :)

I sometimes work in traditional media, too.

I began doing a pencil drawing of Sebulba (from The Phantom Menace) a couple of weeks ago. No telling when that will be done.

I almost always work freehand (I hardly ever trace), especially when using traditional media.

Here's an example of a drawing I did free hand:
    Marilyn Monroe drawing, pencil, freehand.
    Another: Flowers drawing, pencil, freehand

My sister told me a couple of years ago that through reading interviews with her favorite artists (professionals who've been published) she learned that many of them use projectors to trace the outlines of whatever it is they're drawing.

I tried that for a couple of recent pencil drawings, and it sped things up considerably.

I told my sister that I've always felt that the most time consuming aspect of drawing (especially of a person) is getting the proportions correct (e.g., distance of the mouth from the nose, the eyes from each other, etc.). She told me she's always felt that way, too.

Some of you should try that (tracing outlines), at least once. Even if you trace the outlines, it still takes skill and talent to fill it in free hand. :)

EDIT. I still plan on posting one or two other Star Wars drawings I've been working on, whenever I get finished with them.

5. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Yowza!! =D= I love Norma-Jean, and that's a glorious portrait of her--is it colored pencil? Beautiful work there, and on the roses--the realism is fabulous! =D=

I can't wait to see the new SW piece--Sebulba is one of those characters we just don't see much art of, pro- or fan-art--so it'll be great to see your take on him! :D

Re: the "projection" method; I've heard that a lot of pro artists use that technique for speed, but I'm with you on trying to keep to the "freehand" method for traditional work.

Thanks for sharing a bit about your digital process, and again--we're glad to have you in the Fan Art forum!

FF

6. wookie_fan

Jun 12, 2005
    Falcon Fan - I've been a long time Monroe fan myself. I have other drawings of her at the site.

Marilyn is a lot of fun to draw, as are other "old timey" movie stars. I like the lighting and costumes they wore in the 1950s and before.

Yes, it was done in color pencil, on white paper.

(When I took art courses in college, one instructor had us draw on color paper - beige, grey, etc. At first I didn't like it, but I came to prefer it later. I still draw on white paper, though.)

There are more Marilyn drawings on the site, like on this page(last row, last three images), and on this page (towards the bottom)

In the first post of this thread, I added a link to my latest SW drawing, one of Chewbacca.

I'm not too sure I'm happy with how the Sebulba drawing is turning out, so I may not post him!

For one thing, I didn't get his proportions down 100%. It still looks like him, but it doesn't match the photo completely.

In a way I don't mind. The older I get the more I realize I'm an artist and not a camera, but sometimes it still bothers me if I can't get it down totally.

As for Sebulba... I kind of like the minor Star Wars characters such as him.

You remember the little guy with the cackling laugh in Return of the Jedi - he sat next to Jabba? I think his name was Salacious Crumb? I loved him. :)

If I had a big enough photo of him to work from (a printed photo, like in a book), I'd draw him.

(My printer doesn't work, so I can't print photos off the web.)

Thanks for the welcome and the compliments on the art! It's very nice of you.

If I keep making SW drawings, and I post them here, they're bound to probably be mostly of storm troopers, clone troopers, Jango/Boba Fett and Chewbacca.

Chewie is my #1 fave character. I've always dug the costume design for other characters (such as the troopers etc.), which is why I'm more partial to drawing them.

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Rawkin painting of Chewbacca!! =D= I love all the highlights on the fur, and that he's holding his trusty bowcaster! :D Great job! And if you can't print photos from online, try checking for some of the big SW art/production books at the local library: I've been blessed to find some awesome hi-resolution photos in big books at our library, I'm sure you will too! Best of luck, and keep up the great work!

FF

8. wookie_fan

Jun 12, 2005
    Thanks, Falcon Fan :)

My sister is visiting from out of town, and she's given me a 2008 Star Wars calendar as well as a Star Wars book called 'Star Wars The Complete Visual Dictionary.' Now that I have some decent source material to work from, I might make some pencil drawings.

9. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I like your pastel colors :eek:
    They're very balanced and I can see the little details (like the ships in the background of Leia). Hm, would you consider EU material?

10. Day-dreamy

Day-dreamy Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2007
    I love all of your drawings - especially the one with Chewie. His eyes are almost alive.:) And an all of the pics you did a great job with details. Nicely done!

11. Daenna

Daenna Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2006
    Cool sandtrooper :) I noticed a subtle use of gradients and it makes your pieces look awesome!

12. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Very neat stuff, I really like your style. Vector art sure ain't easy, but you seem to master it quite well, so kudos to your skills. [face_mischief]

13. wookie_fan

Jun 12, 2005
    Thank you all for the compliments. :)

Someone asked about me drawing any Expanded Universe characters...

I wouldn't rule it out, but I'm not familiar with the EU. I would have to have source material to work from, too.

I was a kid when the first Star Wars came out in 1977, so I tend to draw characters mostly from Episodes IV, V, VI (i.e., Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford), as I'm more nostalgic for those.

I do however like some of the character designs from Eps. I, II, and III (i.e., Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor).

14. wookie_fan

Jun 12, 2005
    Dec. 3, 2007 Clone trooper drawing added in original post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.