main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WotC Info Part III

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by MJK_WotC, Feb 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Rimmer

Darth Rimmer Jedi Master star 1

Jun 17, 1999
    I will not go into how SW CCG is a strategic game and this is just "fight till you drop",
    after all LotR is also just fighting and it's brilliant. But my main gripe about SW TCG,I'd have to say are the dice and the necessity for counting Force. SW CCG system of cards as Force is the most elegant principle in card games, and after that this is just tedious. Even LotR has an exquisitely elegant Shadow Pool system, though they have to use tokens. In general, this is basically Star Wars: The Gathering, and that's lack of originality right at the start.

Anyways, P is for power,right? S it seems is for speed; so H would be for Health? Have I got it right? And how do you resolve attacks?

2. Kenix Kil

Kenix Kil Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2000
    Darth Rimmer have you played Magic? There has been very little dice use in Magic. The only dice use came from the Unglued set which was just for fun.

3. Achtung_Bubba

Achtung_Bubba Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Smegging good forum name, Darth Rimmer.

4. Darth Rimmer

Jun 17, 1999
    Thanks, Achtung.

I meant, in general. The system is of putting your forces down and them fighting head to head,singly, and doing nothing else. Only in Magic you have one "arena", and here you have three.

5. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    Listen Rimmer I hate to tell you this but the CCG isnt a game of stragy, its a game of counting cards. If you talk to any of top people on the tounement boards all of them count cards. That isnt stratgy.

6. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I'm sorry, but that's absolutely one of the silliest things you've said so far, Kil. It doesn't do me any good to "track destiny" (I believe that's what you mean by "counting cards") if I don't have a strategy for using those destinies.

7. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Tracking destinies doesn't make the game non-strategic. It makes it require skill. Tracking destinies is a skill that has to be practiced a lot, and not everyone can do it. And not only do you need a strategy for using those tracked 6s and 7s, like Artie said, there are many ways to screw up your opponent's tracking. Having your random numbers be determined by die rolls is far less strategic. With destiny draws, you can track them, decide the best time and purpose for using them, as well as just stocking your deck with lots of high-destiny cards from the get-go, decide when pulling things from your Reserve Deck is worth losing your tracking, and deciding the best times to play any abilities to throw off your opponent's tracking. In SWTCG, you just get to chuck some dice and hope for the best. Which seems more strategic and skillful to you?

8. Kenix Kil

Feb 7, 2000
    Ok. You want to go strategic? How about preparing for bad dice rolls. Making it so that even if you get a bad one you still will do good. And despite what you say, counting cards is not strategic. They have a word for it in some places, cheating.

9. Darth Rimmer

Jun 17, 1999
    Look at the big picture, people. In SW CCG you have to CONTROL locations to win. Games aren't primarily won through battles, they're won through drains at locations, and battles are used to seize control of locations. Strategy is used to determine which locations you're gonna defend, which attack, and which leave alone. Just like real war. SW CCG is a war, while SW TCG is only a battle.

10. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    To say that SW:CCG had no strategy is just plain, well, dumb. Trying to tune a deck is strategy. Suiting your gameplan to your opponent's deck is strategy.

Choosing whether to fight or not, or where to put a certain character is strategy.

I mean, even a game a simple as Young Jedi has heaps of strategy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.