main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WotC Star Wars: Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi Merkurian , Apr 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    First, let me say that I'm honored (and lucky) to be the 1st to start a thread on this new forum.

The topic is pretty straightforward: Whaddya think of the new RPG system?

I await your responses...

2. JefferyJedi

JefferyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2000
    I just got the rule book so I haven't had time to play it yet. I also got the intro box version.

3. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I like it. I haven't got to play a full game yet, but it seems cool. I've played some combat, just to get the hang of it...

4. StoneAzure

StoneAzure Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2001
    I like it a whole lot more than WEG. A lot more flexable, and combat is much easier. A few wrinkles that need to be worked out, but overall not bad.

5. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    I played the WEG version for a few years before the WotC version came out. It takes a bit more getting used to, but it shows promise. :)

6. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    Personally, I don't like what I've read. And since I'm told it's a lot like 3rd ed. D&D, well, that's kind of the last fatal blow, since I think 3rd Ed is HORRIBLE. That might have just been my DM, but it has a lot that needs fixing. It seems much less geared to enhancing the role-playing aspects of the game. Hack-n-slash works fine, I suppose, but for those of us who like a little something more, well, it's just not as fun. IMNSHO, of course. :)

7. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I've just gotten and have been reading the Rule Book cover to cover, thus far reading up to "Skills".
    I think that the amount of detail that they have amassed in this RPG is simply amazing and that they did a fine job in crafting the galaxy proposed in the book to be exactly alike the Star Wars galaxy itself.
    Great work on using the species advantages and disadvantages and leveling up characters offers a nice chance for some great customization.
    So far I haven't gotten much into the aspect of battle, but I agree that it needs some work.
    It tends to be a bit more tedious becoming a work with the motions kind of play rather then offering a chance for some interesting combat.
    I do look foward to the new books and improvements they are bringing to it though and think that this RPG has a fine future ahead of it.

8. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    I need to find it for a cheaper price. I've flipped through the rulebook but haven't played yet. my friend has it, but hes always busy. :p

9. Keyan_Stele

Keyan_Stele Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2000
    WEG system for SW made a lot of things difficult in to roll though. You usually had to have a fairly lenient game master to successfully do anything. I personally welcome the change and think that I can be more flexible in the system and have players have fun in the system still without losing any roleplaying. I thoroughly enjoy D&D 3rd edition. But I'm also, not an ultra-hardcore RPG gamer and I know that most people that fit into that category hate simplistic things like D&D 3rd edition.
    So that's fine, have fun with your ultra-complex to the point of near realism games if you want. I play RPG for the fun and the fantasy. If a game gets bogged down in rules and rolls, it's dull for me. That's why I like the d20 system. In other words it fits me. I perfectly understand that it doesn't fit everybody.

10. JefferyJedi

JefferyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2000
    I love that cute Jedi girl in the books. ;)

11. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Do you think it'd be a good idea to try playing this on here?

I don't think it'd be as difficult as it sounds. People'd have to be honest on their dicerolls, but...

12. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    I've actually been thinking of doing an ICQ SWRPG adventure, using a little pascal die roller I programmed. Takes the "Yeah, I rolled 6 natural twenties in a row!" out of online gaming. Anyone interested?

13. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    I've played the game and I like it. Well, I like my gaming group, which makes all the difference.
    It's a good little system, some skills are there that shouldn't be, and some are missing that should be.. and I haven't dried space combat, but it looks super complex (May want to fall back on WEG for the space combat side of things)

it works :)

As for a board based RPG, that'd be interesting. I don't have time to play, or I would.

Amy - Roleplaying since 1984

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Actually, the space combat is simpler in WotC than in WEGgie. Of course, some folks don't like that. In WEGgie you had to use "bucket o' dice" to figure out if you hit, then did it again to determine how much, if any, damage you did. In WotC, that's all done in one or two d20 rolls.

One issue that I think some folks have with the system is that it encourages a great deal of "dramatic license" to the GM instead of spelling it all out in the rules. This is especially prevalent in the Vitality Point/Wound Point system. If something "hits" but only does VP damage, then it was actually a "near miss" that tires you out.

I'm glad that they did the "Duel of the Fates" article in SW-Gamer #1. It went a LONG way in showing both the VP/WP system, and also GM dramatic license. For those who don't know, the article took the one-on-one between Obi-Wan & Darth Maul and translated it into game terms. *As an aside, Obi-Wan was an idiot for not using his Battlemind or Enhance Ability skills!* It illustrated the difference between "normal" hits, which only do VP damage, and "critical" hits, which do WP of damage. It also explained the various combat options, and how they would "look." FYI there were many Force Points spent by both; Obi-Wan was only down to a couple, and if you read the description of Maul from the sourcebook, he had 5 or 6 FP. By the time he finished off Qui-Gon, he had ~none~ left.

Obi-Wan managed to score a critical on Maul, doing WP damage. Lucky for him! The way the combat was described, Obi-Wan only had ONE VP left; another hit by Maul would likely have killed him.

15. Pash_Aideen

Pash_Aideen Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 1999
    Weell, I still prefer WEG's version. I prefer the skill based system, with individual advancement of skills. I do love D&D tho, but I wish WoTC could have stayed truer to the d6 system.

I disagree with the statement that a lot of things were harder to do in the WEG version. I gm'd a lot of games, and I didn't have to be very lenient at all. And gm creative licence is a given for any rpg.

16. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I do prefer the simpler system, only because WotC RPG is actually my first table top RPG.

17. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I love D&D3. It is so much simpler, yet so much better than 2nd edition. Skills and Feats are great and a lot of the rules changes are very good too.
    I've read through the Star Wars book and although it is simliar to D20 it is still different, very customized to the Star Wars universe. Character building is a lot better than in WEG, imo

18. Superchunk

Superchunk Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2000
    I enjoyed the WEG version of the game but afterign reading the rules for the WotC version, I have a few gripes. One, since this newer version is based on the 3rd Ed. D&D rules I don't like the restricted character classes. There is much more available to role play than a Jedi Knight or Smuggler. I also despise ranking based on experience points. This brings in the hack/slash element. The more I slay the more points I get. Overall, with a little tweaking the WotC version could shine.

19. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Experience points aren't just awarded for slaying things. A good DM knows that. As for restricted character classes, the ones used are the ones that are featured as characters in the movies. Futher customization is done with feats and skills.

20. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    There is room for improvement in any system that you look at. I played WEG a lot when it was around, it was great. Even when I did GM in WEG it wasn't too bad. Now with WOTC I see problems that can be marked off as start up flaws. Question though are D&D source books alot like the Secrets of Naboo book? That would be a problem. imo. I think WEG did better source books so far. I'd be up for board RPG.

21. RA_ATUM

RA_ATUM Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2000
    Well although most of my rp is online realtime, I do play table top.. and one thing I find in both worlds is that the game tends to be only as good as the gamemaster...

A good gamemaster can make a bad thing work.. and a bad gamemaster can make a great thing a pain.

22. AbsolutZero

AbsolutZero Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2001
    I truly like the new WotC d20 game. Between the Feats, Skills, and Classes, I feel a wonderful meshing of abilities are available to allow people to select and build the characters they want to. Granted, it isn't as open and fluid as the WEG version, but that is perfectly acceptable.

Still, there are problems. Vehicle combat is a mess, and Starship combat reads and plays like an afterthought. Flip through the section yourself and you'll see the problems. There are other minor annoyances, like the Fringer getting a bonus to Repair, but not getting Repair as a class skill, or the Scoundrel not getting Sense Motive skill.

There will be (and are) perception problems. For example, the Soldier practically needs to wear battle armor. I know a few of my players have balked at this idea, but it isn't that far fetched. If you take a look at how many Soldiers wear armor in the movies, you'll see that it is far more commonplace (Boussh, Dengar, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Rebel Troopers) than first suspected.

Yet, it is a good, solid game with easily learned mechanics. Well worth it.

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, I noticed that as well about the Fringer. Maybe it'll be corrected in "errata" that they periodically print either at the website or in SW-Gamer.

24. Jedi_Jacen

Jedi_Jacen Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2000
    I won a copy of the core Rulebook at the world premier in Seattle, WA. I've thouroughly enjoyed reading the book cover to cover, but have yet to find a group to play with in my area.

25. Shedao15

Shedao15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    I think it sucks! It's like playing Dungeons and Dragons. I liked the old way were all you needed was a couple of 6D dice. Then WotC had to go make it all confusing. But hey it's better than not having Star Wars RPG at all, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.