main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Writing on a schedule

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Sep 7, 2011.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Lately, I've been having trouble finding time to write, so I decided to create a schedule for myself to motivate me (because I love checking things off a to-do list). It . . . er, hasn't been exactly going as planned.

But I know some people are good at it (for instance, people who can post a chapter of a story every Monday, etc.). So I want to know: Do you make a writing schedule? Are you able to stick to it? Or does it not help you at all?

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    For the most part, I can keep a writting schedule down, of course, life tends to throw curveballs once in awhile to mess things up.

For me, I am writting two epic stories, and it takes me about 3 days to complete a 2,100 words chapter. On the third or fourth day, I edit and post, and then begin the chapter for the next story. Sometimes I speed up this schedule if I'm in a grove or slow things down when they're distractions. This week, I had to slow things down a bit because of getting ready for a vacation next week. When I return, things should return to normal.

Basicaly, what it comes down to, is forcing myself to sit down and write at least 750 words a day, which isn't all that hard. Doing that, I can do a chapter in three days.

3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I've tried to keep writing schedules and sometimes I can stick to them for short periods of time. But usually my life gets in the way and I just can't keep the pace. I think for the moment I've given up on schedules, but I try to keep up with the stories that have been waiting the longest.

4. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Absolutely; professionally.... full of coffee (and some scotch). Make it a habit, especially if you're writing
    for television. Don't sit there and expect, "Today I will be brilliant," ; just write... anything.

It helps when you're being paid. :)

[face_thinking]

Well, sometimes....

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's a really good way to do it, set a reasonable word count. How do you mentally prepare yourself for it--like, are there nights when you are so tired you just plain want to watch TV and go to bed?

Lily: That's what's been happening to me--I'm great for a bit, but real life intrudes, and I either don't have time or am so tired in my free time that I don't have the energy.

Uncle: Well, we don't get paid for this--it's a bit easier to sit down and force out 500 words when you are :p

6. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Yes and no. There's that extra motivating factor, but sometimes the words just won't come.

Sometimes I'll plan to write, but I wouldn't say I have a set schedule. When I had a beta for a particularly long fic, it was easier to sit down and write because I needed to send the stuff at certain times. An update schedule actually helps a lot, too.

A schedule can help, but there are times when it's frustrating. The feeling that you have to write can lead to a pile of horrible words.

7. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Yeah, some days, My mind just wont focus. If I run into that, I try to put on music from that fandom. For example, I'm doing a HTTYD fanfiction so I turn on my Ipod touch and put on the music from that movie. Before long, I get caught up in the music, and scenes just flow in my mind that follows the momentum of the song. If I'm struggling through an action scene, I put on an intense song; if I am in a romantic scene, then I put on the love flight song. Putting a scene to the music really help gets the creative juices flowing.

And keep in mind, I put myself on 750 words a day goal because I want to do one chapter for each of my two stories a week. If you're only doing one, and only plan weekly updates, that's like only 100 to 200 words a day. That's super easy to do, even on days that my focus is off.

8. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I tried with a writing schedule once or twice. I could never stick to it.
    I haven't written a single word in over a month. :( I remember when I'd update like crazy because the words wouldn't stop coming but life has a way of messing things up.

Whenever I try to stick to a schedule, something else gets in between. It's highly annoying and thus very, very demotivating.

I've learned, though, that it really works when you have friends who "kick you in the butt". Or motivate you by asking questions about your stories and wanting to know how the story continues and what not.

Writing groups might help also (someone should create a writing group here on the boards :p ).

And on the note of getting paid: I think there are pro's and con's. You get paid, so that's a pro. But you also have a deadline. Writing under pressure would make me write crap.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi Nat: :* !!!

I don't have a schedule for writing; I just have an idea when I'd like to post something, i.e., for the drabbles challenge, if the prompts are posted on Friday, I give myself up to over the week end - to do 5 drabbles, easy LOL usually ;)

Sometimes, I go week by week. If I say: I'd like to have the next post up by Tuesday next, I start writing parts and edit and then post.

If you do a scene or a part of a scene a day, it helps, for when you have just 15-30 minutes to write a day; and if you actually get more done, that's great.

I also keep notes of what I'd like to include in each scene so that if I get distracted, I can come back later and not lose the story-flow.

:( about the vicious circle Ceil mentioned, the longer you go without writing/posting, the harder it is to start up again.

And with Kyp/Liz stuff, I frankly miss my droolicious honey bear [face_laugh]

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I definitely agree with the longer it's been, the harder it is to use. I used to do tons of stories in high school, but I don't think I've written and finished a single multi-post story since I got to college (and I'm a senior). It's not time issues (always), but it's hard to get back to doing it.

Writing for pleasure and writing for money are different for me because I wrote totally different things--I don't write fiction professionally. It means fewer cases of writer's block, that's for sure. And I've learned that having deadlines actually motivates me

11. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Writing in college is almost impossible, especially if you also work. I had the exact same thing happen, Nat.

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Good, I'm glad it's not just me. I'm hoping that one I graduate, I'll have more time. (And also hoping I never have to graduate, but that's another story :p )

13. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Writing when you have a full time job is nearly impossible too.

*sighs* So how do you keep your muse going even when she/he/it has left? Or rather how do you get the muse back?

I have this wonderful idea for a story but...meh...no time to write. No idea really how to start because it's been so long since I've written anything. ;)

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Music does it for me, and so do movies. Actually, so do exams, because I seem to want another way to procrastinate :p

I'm going to try a writing schedule again to see if I can kick myself into gear. I have a feeling it'll be great while I'm on winter break and then peter off as I start school and get busy again, but it's worth a shot :p

15. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Inevitably, when I make a schedule to try and force myself to write, something comes along to throw it off. When that happens, I tend to get frustrated. So, I learned to stay away from schedules; which might be why my fics aren't updated very often. :)