main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL WT*?????

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by JediScout, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediScout

JediScout Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    When is our next get to together?????

Sorry, that acronym is NOT allowed on the boards.

2. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    Never. Miami, Gainseville, Melbourne, Daytona Beach, they all are pretty much dead, and Orlando is now on life support. We, Orlando, the last great Florida Fan Force holdout is crumbling before our eyes. While, it seems, Melbourne and Daytona Beach stage a come back every so often, Gainseville, Miami, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale, and any others are dead. Sure, people post from time to time, but it's one of those things where everyone around you sees that it is over with except you... yes, that type of thing.

I believe, yes, I do believe, that I predicted this when we went bowling. I'm fairly certain Orlando will have a few more meetings and such, but that's it. I think we should all be happy that at least we lasted the longest.

A year from now, one of us will appear every so often here to post something about starting it back up again. We will get two or three new people to join us for one or two meetings. Then, though, we will be nothing once more.

I am so sad I will make a frowny face: :(

I will end this post with lyrics from the stunning t.A.T.u. song "30 Minutes." And, they are:

Either way
    Options change;
    Chances fail
    Trains derail

Brandon

3. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Well it's hard to get together when no one sets a meeting date . . . .

L8r

4. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
  5. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Considering all the parties, and little gatherings of 3 or 4 of us, is this not the most active we've actually been in the last couple of years? I know, other than my neighbor, Raiza, I've seen segments of the group about 5 times this Summer.

Saturdays are hard for me to get off and for the next few weeks all my "weekends" are slated for scuba-related activities, but I'm anxious to attend another "formal" meeting. I also have thrown out a bit of talk for a watching party for the OT on 21 September, so that's something to look forward to as well. This is not our most desperate hour. -Campbell

6. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    Well I know who we wont be inviting, and I would like to see this LIST of whats not allowed.

7. monkeynutz

monkeynutz Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2004
    What a *****! This will probably get edited also, even though I have seen worse on here. Got a new Hitler in town boys!

RSA EDIT: No, you don't have a new Hitler in town. And to compare a mod who is just following rules to a dictator who ordered the killing of millions is a bit of a stretch. ;)

We're just following the rules folks. The word I just edited out in this post is a word which the people who own this site have deemed inappropriate to post, and we must enforce those rules as best we can. Since I oversee 20 chapters, I sometimes miss a few words, but I try to catch them when I can. Please understand that I and other mods are just trying to enforce the rules that the site owners have decided upon.
    - Minacia_Brightstar.

8. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    It's a board rule, not a mod power tripping. I personally think it's a stupid rule, but the mod is only doing her job.

L8r

9. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    blah blah blah. I have had a vision. I say we just replace all Fs with *s. That way, * = F and then * itself will be edited back to F! Let me demonstrate on a generic sentence that I will make up as I go along:

"Hey, *red, *f I come *rom *ern Park to Orlando on the *ourth o* July, can I meet you at TGI *riday's?"

Seriously, it's blatantly the most stupid thing that has ever happened here. I could care less if it is the board, the moderator, or anything else; it's just ridiculous. I have read countless posts on here over the years, and there are people on here that actually believe that what is said and goes on here matters. I mean, I remember when I went off on what it means to be an "official" chapter. What the hell does THAT mean? Who says what is official or not? A bunch of people in their late teens or early twenties deciding if four or more people show up at meetings? Then, if a Special Person, someone with his or her name in a differnet color, appears and says, "You guys are no longer official," there are people that CARE and that person thinks he or she is doing something "major." I can be an official chapter with one member. In fact, I am. I am a new chapter all on my own. No one can do anything about it.

I know that all of that has nothing to do with the current situation, but it just reminded me of it. I think when the Orlando Fan Force was getting back on track, a moderator magically appeared (like they actually DO something or have a "job" or whatever, too funny) and said, "You have to do this-or-that to be an official chapter."

Then, I have read elsewhere when a moderator appears and "bans" someone for a few days or what not. I have even read regular users say stuff like, "Hey! I'd recommend you be careful or you'll be banned!" What?! Who CARES! It's a complete joke. If I were to ever get banned, trust me, I have other accounts tha would magically show up. :)

I have always thought this, long, long, LONG before this particular "edit," but now it is coming out. I think that moderators on here and countless other forums and boards actually believe they are special, actually believe they are doing some kind of "job." They are the police of the forums. No, people, you are not law enforcement officers, you are not cool, no one respects you because your name is a different color. I'm sure that most of them would say that that is not true, but it blatantly is. I can *promise* you that they felt some kind of 'pride' when they were made a moderator, and they feel some sort of 'power' when editing a post or banning a user.

It really is the funniest thing on here.

Brandon

10. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Oh, please. I can't believe you're getting your panties in a twist because I edited out something that's not allowed in the rules of this site. That's nothing to get in a huff over.

If I were to ever get banned, trust me, I have other accounts tha would magically show up.

And then you'd get your ban lengthened for posting while banned. That's a rule, too.

Look, just because you're Fan Force does not mean you are not subject to the rules of this site. As a moderator, I am charged with making sure that the rules get followed.

All I did was edit out something that's not allowed. Now, if you could rein in your egos a bit, maybe you'd see that I'm just doing my job as a moderator. I'm not trying to take over. I was, if you can get past your indignation at having someone actually put their foot down for once, doing you a favour.

Dana

11. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    So basically I cant type what I typed, but people can type the word *****? Theres a lot of things that shouldnt happen on here that do. You should go back and read some of the posts from this year, even Minacia told people to calm it down, but she didnt edit anything out, and please tell us what favor youre doing, because I would love to hear it. I still want to see this list thats not allowed. Watch out Brandon dont want to get banned! Lol (wait is that allowed)!!!!

RSA Edit: I edited out another word. Sorry guys, but I do have to enforce the rules. - Minacia

12. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    What, exactly, is this so-called "favor" you were doing by taking an F out? As a member of the Worldwide Tatooine Federation (WTF for short (that should not be edited now, right?)), I request you inform us as to the reason you edited our group name.

Brandon

13. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    First of all I read the terms. On that note, God Bless America, freedom of speech - ooops, only when allowed. What happened? We have to watch what we say on the radios -poor Howard Stern & I don't even like him but I hate what has happened with censorship, movies are edited & coded based on content, tv shows as well. Are we at the turn of the century? OR is this the beginning of the last century?
    There was a leader called Hitler who wanted to control what people thought & said and even how a race looked. Families & neighbors turned on each other and reported the slightest infraction and that person dissapeared. Persecution started in just this way, entire portions of my family were eradicated by people who are "just doing their jobs". Are we headed there?

The terms state "User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense".

Let's go through this, he did not use anything false or defamatory misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, harassing, hateful, threatening or an invasion of privacy.
    Profanity or obscenity can be in the eye of the viewer. Those 3 letters stand for our group name - World Tatooine Federation since there's already a World Trade Federation. If you take those letters to stand for something else, well, you read something else into those letters he may not have meant. Did you clarify with him what he meant before you edited him? Did you check to see what those letters stand for besides what you assumed (and we all know what that can stand for, will I be edited?).
    I'm not sure they don't have the right to feel a little harassed and then should you be edited for what you have done? THAT is exactly why we have freedom of speech. NO one's opinion should be higher than another's. I'm not sure they have their panties in a twist and that phrase is offensive to me. Panties are personal to me - now who defends me against you? I see you are defending yourself, I'll defend them and we can all bicker on the boards. Something that everyone just really enjoys reading. Did someone report to you they were offended by our acronym?
    This is all absurd. I hate fighting but when it comes to expressing ourselves freely & being free, I will fight to my dying breath. That is what Dale - Jediscout has done. He has fought for, what, 12 years now- Dale? Several different branches of our military, defending our country. Protecting OUR freedom for this? When did we become a fascist state?
    Last I checked we lived in America and if this country is no longer based on freedom, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness could you please tell me?
    I'll stand off my soap box but in the back of my mind I can't help being a bit afraid, as I do step down, are we going to have a return of the Gestapo coming to "dissappear" me (as they did my grandparents) for saying what I think? If you say I'm over reacting as you do them, do you value your opinion over ours. Do you feel yourself superior to us? Ah yes, the return of the Super Race, shudder.
    Melanie

14. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    What the fuhque.

L8r

15. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Daytona is not dead, in fact we communicate regularly. Most of us are just college students away for the summer. We have a large meeting planned for the third weekend in September and made a presence at Star Wars weekends and this weekend in Chicago at Wizard World. I think that's pretty frelling good for a groupd that is 'pretty much dead'.

16. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    back in the old days, instead of typing W*F, we would just say "What's a duck?" since it rhymed, Luke said it, and it pretty much meant the same thing.

17. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    Thats just it though, we dont want it to ryhme with that, we call our little group the Worldwide Tatooine Federation. I cant help it that some peoples minds are always in the gutter and whenever they see WTF (Worldwide Tatooine Federation) they think it means something else. I was always thought in the Marine Corps that you dont burn bridges you cross, because you might have to use that bridge again, and thats from a combat standing.

18. monkeynutz

monkeynutz Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2004
  19. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Alright gang, I'm pretty lenient, but let's keep things civil, please. Dantana was just following the rules. I'm going to go through and edit out a few words in some of these posts, because it is against the rules to post a few of them.

And I'm definitely not a mod on a power trip. In fact, editing out words is more of a pain than a power trip. :p

I'd like to point out one other thing...the same thing I pointed out above. Comparing a message board staff to a dictator who ordered the killing of millions of people is a bit much.

I understand that you are all upset. And yes, America is a democracy. However, these boards are privately owned, and therefore, we must adhere to the rules of these boards.

As to whether your chapter remains official or not depends upon several factors. I have never arbitrarily threated you guys with disbandment and as the person who has been the RSA for the Southeast for almost three years, I was a bit hurt by that accusation. I do my best to do what's best for the chapters in my region. There are certain things a FF chapter must do to remain official and these are: have a chapter rep, and have periodic meetings. That's all. That is what we ask of every chapter. I apologize if any of you ever thought that I was abusing my power.

And the FF staff does not control the FF chapters. We have to maintain some control over what goes on at these message boards, but what you do at your meetings and how you set up your chapter have always been up to you.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm going to keep this thread open a little longer so that anyone who wishes to respond may do so. But please keep it civil, avoid cursing, and remember that I'm not trying to control anyone. I'm just enforcing board rules, whether I agree with them or not.

20. JediScout

Apr 8, 2004
    I just dont see wht was wrong with our group name WTF. I mean people type cuss words and just put an asterisk in the place of one letter. I can understand that someone who doesnt know us might confuse that with something else, but I mean come on now an asterisk in the place of one letter. I think thats worse the some abbrevations that people use. Brandon pointed out a post that Dantana wrote telling everyone that she has the power to smite people now. If she doesnt like you she can smite you so watch out. To me that looks a little power trip. Ive read the rules for posting, is there something Im missing about posting abbrevations?

21. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I hope I don't get in trouble for typing what I'm about to type in order to try to explain. ;) :p

WTF is one of the more recent additions to the list of words or abbreviations that the site owners would prefer not to be posted. I'm not going to go into whether I agree with it or not.

There has also been a recent decision regarding typing out a curseword, but replacing one or more of the letters in that word with astericks....apparantly, that's not acceptable either.

I think the reasoning is this....even though most of the curse has been asterick-ed out, so to speak, folks still know what you meant...therefore it is still technically a curse word. Again, I'm not going to go into whether or not I agree with that.

Please don't shoot the messenger. ;)

22. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Yeah guys, come on, we can't fault Brightstar for doing her job. If you want to raise a complaint about it, go to the top. She isn't oging to be able to do anything about it, so why not go to the owners or top mods or whatever they are after that whole fiasco a few months back and let them know that you have a chapter name that happens to use the same letters as a banned acronym? All this yelling at Brightstar is only going to turn her off from helping the group in the future. It's been my experience that she's been really fair and open minded about a lot of things and works to promote the South East groups, but when she has a frelling peice of paper in front of her that says 'These things not allowed to be said' and someone says it, she has to edit it out. She didn't go all postal and start official warnings or bans, she simply edited the post and everyone went nuts. Free speech is only good until it hits the censors, and as this is a private board, those censors have a heavier hand. If this board was suddenly deemed public to all then you could argue free speech, but when people sign up they agree to a list of rules and regulations that must be followed. If you don't like it then simply leave. No one says your Fan Force has to be a member of this group. If Daytona was to become a non-chapter that wouldn't stop us from meeting! We'd simply set up another message board on our own and do the same things we've been doing here. This is just a universal place to communicate with loval and distant SW fans.

Now, don't get me wrong and don't start flaming because I think it's crap that you can't use your acronym, but on the flip side you have to look at who chose the name? Why didn't they check the rules to see if it was OK knowing that it stood for something potentialy not allowed? Was the name decided on within the boards and can you point to a thread? If so then it was public knowledge to the moderators when you were thinking about it and if that's the case then they were wrong in not stopping it right then in favor of a different name.

Just a personal question for me though, whey did you change it? What was wrong with Orlando System? That was pretty cool and unique.

What abut using WTFed?

-Markus

23. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    I need to clarify, first, Minacia I do not have any issues with how you have managed our posts. At first I thought someone who is not our moderator stepped outside the chain of command. I did not realize anyone listed as a moderator can edit or chastise a group. I was responding off several different factors culminating in that reaction, that moment, that day mainly regarding censorship & persecution.
    I would like to request clarification because the terms page does not list words we should or should not use. In fact it is sort of vague. Where is this list so I can review it in order to be careful with my posts in the future? Also, why haven't they updated the terms page to be more clear?
    I did go to a link that had a posting of some banning information but that is a post, not a outline of rules that is listed under the terms page so wondered how official or unofficial it was. This is not under the "Terms of Service Post" where one would expect it to be. Now this is my opinion but I don't think many would disagree that we shouldn't have to search for the rules on various posts.
    I do realize if I took issue with her edit, I should have PM'd her but I was also upset with the way the country as a rule is going regarding censorship I decided to protest publically. I am not comparing her specifically to Hitler. I AM saying censorship is out of hand in many different mediums. That our freedoms have become increasingly restricted. I realize these are private boards but I wonder how far it will be pushed in censorship & editing? At that point, if our opinions, posts & words become unacceptable by who ever makes these rules, I wonder if people will become fed up with this board and create their own? I don't normally react negatively and rarely post lengthy replies and I think this is it for me on this subject but would appreciate the clarification on the rules which currently are almost as muddy as the Dagobah swamp. Thank you!
    Melanie

24. askywalker98

askywalker98 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    Ok guys, I heard about this whole stupid thing and was wondering what the problem is. Not everyone on these boards is 21+. There are kids on these boards. And I dont think their parents want them seeing the F word being thrown around everywhere. Everyone know what "WT*" means and dont try and tell me ,"Oh, they will find out anyways." It's not your decision how People are brought up. Nore is it your business. We dont make the rules, we just obey them. And as for them being "vague," you know the F word is concidered to be profane or abusive or whatever they call it in the TOS. Dantana was just doing her job. So lighten up people. This argument is pointless. If you want to be able to curse and swear and all that stuff on a forum. Make your own. The person(s) paying for these sites are nice enough to let us post on them and communicate and so on. So please, respect those around you on these boards.

-Anthony

25. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    We in the OFH (The Old Folks Home...aka the FF RSA forum) talked about speaking with the site owners and the staff on the JC side of things about making the TOS a bit more specific. However, some folks pointed out that if we get too specific, then we may become too inflexible.

As for what cursewords and "replacement" cursewords are not allowed to be used, a list of sorts was discussed in the Chapter Rep forum, but I'm not sure if all the CRs got around to letting their chapters know about it. At any rate, the list is bound to change occasionally.

If anyone wants a list of cursewords and "replacement" cursewords that are currently off limits, please e-mail me so that I will not get in trouble for posting them here. ;)

I can be reached at minacia@hothlantarebels.com. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.