main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA X-Men 3 Meet - Who's In?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi_Nat, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    Anyone interested in going to see X-Men 3 next weekend?

These are the available times for Greater Union Morley (as I have a Greater Union ticket).

Friday 26/5: 6.15pm/8.40pm
    Saturday 27/5: 10.30am/1pm/3.30pm/6.15pm/8.40pm
    Sunday 28/5: 10.30am/1pn/3.30pm/6.15pm/8.40pm

Kart says he's unavailable Sundays.
    I would prefer a Saturday night - I don't want to make two trips to Morley on Friday and I would like to avoid the shopping crowd on Saturday.

2. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Soup works Saturdays, so we wouldn't be able to make it for that. I think we're going to see my parents on Friday, so that's out. Which leaves Sunday. Except I'm not sure if we're free then either... Will have to get back to you.

3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    either the 3pm or 6pm on saturday would be ok, i guess.

4. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Dang. I'd love to see it with you guys but I won't be in Perth anytime soon. Might have to have a little FFkal meet with JA!

5. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Saturday evening works for me.

6. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    How does 6.15pm Saturday night sound?

7. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    That should be fine, yeah. Thanks Nat!

8. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    For you Kart, anything.

9. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
  10. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Sorry, was going to attend with you guys, but I've organized to go after a good friend's finished thier exams, if it's still screening then...

edit: just have to steer clear of spoilers now :p

11. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    For the Jawa, we will make this a spoiler-free thread, when we post our account of the day.

12. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    It isn't a spoiler, but I've read that there's something in the credits of the movie that's worth waiting for, so whoever goes to watch X3, stay behind!

13. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Well if you're going on Saturday we're out coz Soup is working. Have fun.

14. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I'm not 100% sure if I can make it. I've got alot of assignment work due next week so I need all the time I can, plus I'm working on sunday. I'll let you guys know.

15. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I did not even realise it was out until today. Shame on me.
    I'm keen to see it Steve. Anytime this weekend or any weeknight.I'm easy

16. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    :eek: Kart! And to think I made it a Saturday instead of Sunday too....

And I have $10 passes if we can get away with it.... What a waste as they have to be used by the end of the month.

17. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    JA - I'll probably be taking my son on Wednesday night (he's an Aaron as well). Susie's taken our daughter miriam tonight for her birthday.

18. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Sounds good to me Steve. Let me know what time, either here or via PM, and i'll see you there.

19. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Well LD and I were there saturday night- didn't see anyone else though :(

The bit in the credits is right at the very end, after the "similarities to people living or dead etc" speil... ala Ferris Beuller "Go home- the movie's over".

20. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    The movie was very second rate.

Weak dialogue, poor characterisation and crap music.

There are 2 prime examples of how to do a perfect X-men movie- did brett Ratner learn nothing?

Why does Wolverine cry on the floor rather than go berserker?

Never mind- Superman Returns will be here soon.

21. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    You there somewhere Steve ??

22. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    SPOILER ALERT

Okay, I liked it...a bit. Here's the non-exhaustive list of problems with it:

(1) Cyclops gets killed, no explanation, no mourning, like some kinda red shirt off a Star Trek episode.

(2) The Professor goes out similarly, although he's in the movie enough to say "Get to Alkali Lake" as his major plot contribution. Still, that 'flashback' sequence at the start was pretty nice. I would've liked to have seen Magneto grab the cars Jean had lifted just to show he's, well, 'leeter' than her :D

(3) Wolverine's character doesn't grow; it jumps to the other side of the mirror. From the hardass we liked all through 1 and 2 to SNAG with no real reason for it. He doesn't fight like an animal or even with a lot of anger anymore. And no, that's not Jackman's fault; always blame the director first. I was so disappointed in him ... hell, I would've gone for Jean Grey with that kind of come-on ... but all in all, Logan seems to have started batting for the other team. Which gets us to the next point:

(4) Angel. What was the point of the character at all? Aside from appealing to the gay audience by spreading his wings over San Francisco? (Except, unlike the Village People, Angel went east rather than Go West.) By the way, who really believes he either (a) flew across the entire country from Westchester New York to San Francisco California or (b) managed to stow away aboard the T-Jet without a single X-Man figuring it out?

(5) Rogue. She was in it, but what was the point other than to throw a hissy fit over Iceman and go and get her rabies shots? This actually is a more generalised complaint arising from the movie: there was an ensemble cast, great actors, great characters, but unlike Singer, Ratner doesn't seem to have known quite what to do with them. We've got established characters who are underused and new characters who are underestablished. My overwhelming impression of X2 was "Wow, that was really actionpacked, but everyone got a substantial moment or two." My impression of X3 was, "Where the hell was everybody?"

(6) Iceman v. Pyro. Oh man, what a disappointment. No epic scene as you'd expect from the clash of elemental forces ... no getting smashed back into walls, stuff blowing up and getting frozen in place ... instead, just quite literally a pissing contest followed by the old miraculous comeback routine. The only saving grace was seeing the 'ice up', but even then he looked a hell of a lot like Colossus.

(7) Wolverine v. Phoenix. Nah, sorry, don't buy it. If you can shatter entire people into dust the old Mutant X healing factor shouldn't be able to stand against it. Although I suppose it's another gay moment ... big, goodlooking guy kills the personification of feminine lust ... :D :D :D

(8) Mystique. What a pity to see a complicated character reduced to a plot device.

Now, the good stuff.

(1) Jean and Logan. Whoa. Hey. Playing doctors and nurses. I dug it.

(2) Kelsey Grammer as Beast. Best casting decision since Paddy Stewart as Charles Xavier. The look on his face when his hand mutates back to normal ... and the "diplomacy" line was a nice smack in the face to AOTC, too! :D One of the few characters I wish they'd introduced earlier only on the strength of his performance in this film.

(3) Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut. Second best casting decision ever. Some of the best moments in the movie come from his accent.

(4) Ian McKellen. Still rocked hard after 3 movies playing the same fiendish character, and has that wonderful mix of ruthless tyrant and compassion for allies down to a T.

(5) The chess imagery was rather nice throughout...particularly the images of Phoenix as the 'Queen' sitting at the rear ranks while the pawns go in first.

23. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005

But alas- problems with the stuff you found redeeming.

1- Jean and Logan- What's with Prof X being all "I told you soooo" meh

2- Kelsey Grammer was good- but his dialogue was poor- as was the President's lines which seemed ripped from the latest disaster blockbuster: "All we can do now is.... pray." Please!

3. Jugernaught was supposed to be Xavier's stepbrother, and cheesy lines aside, how could he break out of a solid floor, but not his restraints- especially when his power is based on momentum!

4. Ian Mckellen's characterisation along with Wolverine was all wrong. He's not evil- he's supposed to be the Malcolm X to Charles' Martin Luther King Jr. He wouldn't dump his lover for being human, nor would he refer to his mutant brothers as pawns.

5. Phoenix would have fried the whole Island without the need for all the other Morlocks. She was reduced to a third act plot mechanism and a overly flashy effects heavy clmactic ending.

Whinge over! :p

24. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Sorry JA. We were still deciding when we'd be available - we'll be going tomorrow night (thursday) for the 8:30pm session. PM or reply on here if you can make it. I'll be checkin in here when I get home from work.

25. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Thats ok Steve, I had a problem at work and did not end up leaving until just before 6. I was relieved when I saw that you had not gone tonight.

I'll definately be there tomorrow, look forward to catching up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.