main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda Teetering on the Dark Side Too?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTER_DOODOO, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    What the Jedi believed they were fighting for was no different than what Luke did.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The initial order was placed by Sifo-Dyas, and Order 66 was not pre-programmed.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi were fighting for the Sith, doing what the Sith wanted them to do. Luke was fighting for the cause of good, guided by the Alliance.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Which means nothing.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It means that the Jedi were doing evil rather than good.

6. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It has no bearing on the Jedi's morality. With what they knew the cause of the Republic was the same noble cause it had always been. All it shows is they were ignorant of what the Republic was becoming, which I agree with.

7. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005

Yah, I guess I do like to think of the jedi as wise guardians of peace instead of bungling jackasses. Lucas didn't have to make them look so stupid in the PT, but he did anyway. I'm not about to blame myself for that.

8. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    They're still wise guardians of peace and justice, they just were tricked by Palpatine's execution of a Sith plan that was a millenia in the making.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    And it shows that they've lost their way, because they've allowed themselves to become arrogant. Maybe ignorant. However, when it comes to how they handled the situation, they screwed up from day one. Their hearts were in the right place, but good intentions aren't always enough.

10. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    The Jedi made all the right moves with the information they had. Nothing but the words of a psychotic and a Sith Lord indicated that the Sith were in control.

11. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005

The jedi didn't do anything right. Are you kidding me? Even the simplist of things - staying together - was hard for Yoda to get right.

12. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    So Yoda's not supposed to feel anything when the entire Jedi Order is destroyed? o_O He felt his grief, accepted it, and did what he believed he had to.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda was fine. It was Mace who was in the wrong.

No, Yoda was right to go for divide and conquer against the Sith. But they did a lot of things wrong.

They should've listened to him. Their abilities were diminshed. They couldn't see what was going on around them. Instead of listening and taking a different tract, they all but disbelieved him and paid the price for it.

14. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    The Jedi should have, in hindsight, investigated the information given by Dooku. It wouldn't necessarily have blown their investigation-budget to pieces either - Mace, for instance, could have tried doing a thing called getting out of his chair. They got a very good lead by Dooku, and by following that lead, they could have found out who had most power in the Senate - and all the signs would lead them to one person...

15. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Only in a pragmatic sense, which has little to do with the Dark Side.

In hindsight I agree. However, with what the Jedi knew they had no reason to believe that Darth Tyrannus was being honest.

16. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    But nor should you assume anything, should you? Yoda says as much - and he even implies that they should look into it - but it seems they never did.

17. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    We know they do look into it to an extent. It doesn't make them operate on 'an entirely different tract'(at least how I'd use the phrase) but they do decide to keep a closer eye on the Senate.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Their arrogance had cost them dearly because they assumed he was wrong. Rather than waking up and smelling the coffee, they continued to wallow in their arrogance. Sure, they kept an eye on the Senate, but the point is moot by then.

Being provoked to change your mind, is enough.

19. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    Hmm, agree we do... Something is clearly wrong:p
    (although I think you are using arrogance a bit freely here)

20. DARTH-SMELLY-FEET

DARTH-SMELLY-FEET Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2007
    The Jedi in the PT are as dumb as you can get. They spent what 12 years in the company of the very man they were looking for and not one of them could see he was the BAD GUY:rolleyes:.

GL has ruined what i thought the Jedi were like in the old days by making them about as smart as the average potato.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine hid from them in the Force. Making himself nearly invisible, behind a facade of a kindly old man who could be trusted. The Jedi's arrogance made it possible to hid his true nature. The Jedi did start to pick up some bad vibes from Palpatine, but they assumed that it was due to his being just a politician. Not a Sith Lord. As Dooku said, they'd never sense it until it was too late. The Council couldn't concieve of a Sith Lord hiding in plain sight.

22. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    That's the first the Jedi Order hears of it as Obi-Wan doesn't mention it in his holographic message to them. If it was too late, there was absolutely nothing the Jedi could have done with what they knew.

So it's wrong to ever change your mind based on new information?

Lucas also explains it throughout the Prequels.

"Hard to see the Dark Side is.", "The Dark Side clouds everything...", "The Dark Side of the Force has clouded their vision.", "The shroud of the Dark Side has fallen.", and of course the Jedi's general distrust of politicians. There's also that Palpatine was likely using the 'art of the small' if you follow the EU.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    IIRC, Clone Wars-era EU has both Maul and Dooku doing something similar... Dooku calls it "Quey-tek meditations", right? Can we retcon this to be like the art of the small?

24. MASTER_DOODOO

Mar 15, 2005
    no. It's more of a medichlorian thing than art of the small.

25. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    According to the Wookieepedia it seems like Qey'tek I'd say it seems to be possibly a modified form of the Art of the Small(or vice-versa depending on what existed first.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.