main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's skills with a lightsaber in the OT....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Eminent_Being, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eminent_Being

Eminent_Being Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2007
    We saw how Obi-Wan and Vader totally transformed in fighting skill from ROTS to ANH, which is to say they really sucked compared to their former selves. But what about Sidious and Yoda, we see neither of them so much as even touch an ignited saber, so do you think that they could still fight like they could have in the PT. Both seem very crippled, and very fragile...

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Well if yoda wasn't a puppet in the OT, I'd say he could probably still be a better than worthy oppenant if he used the force to give him strength.

They have no need to use their sabers. Yoda's isolated on a swamp planet, The Emporer has Vader as his right hand man.

3. Darth_Sidious-

Darth_Sidious- Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    So are you saying Emps didn't have a saber in Episode I because Maul was his right hand man as well?

I don't care how many enforcers you have or how many swamps you live in, if you're a jedi or a sith, a lightsaber is your life.

Besides, what if that thing lurking in the bowls of Dagobah tried to eat Yoda.

pfft

4. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I would assume Yoda still had a Lightsaber, but he clearly would have no need for one, he probably hung it up when he put himself into exile. But, there is the case that during his duel in ROTS, he lost his Lightsaber, and then he immediately went into Exile, doesn't seem like he even had time to create a new Lightsaber.

My theory; he doesn't have his anymore.

As for Palpatine, he lost his Lightsaber too, and once he controlled the galaxy, I doubt he cared to go make another, he lost two in one film, the guy may have a stack of 'em for whenever he needs them.

5. DarthVolsung

DarthVolsung Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2002
    Here are some ideas, just to throw them out there. Palpatine never needed a lightsaber in ROTJ. By the time he had to "fight" Luke himself, Luke had already thrown his own saber away, and was basically defenseless. Let's say for the sake of argument that Palpatine had a saber hidden in his robes or somewhere else in the throne room. He didn't need to use it, because shocking Luke with lightning was clearly a more painful method of killing him than slicing him up with a lightsaber.

6. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Or Palpatine could go for complete gross factor and pull a Lightsaber out of his butt, Luke would poke out his eyes if he saw that.

7. Dc_10

Dc_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    Yoda DID have alot of time on Dagobah to make another lightsaber.

Yoda also was much older than he was in ROTS. He aged alot so I doubt he'd be doing all those backflips.

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I think he took a lesson from Panda Bear or Padmaboo or whatever her name was and kept it hidden in the arm of his chair in case of emergency. Granted, he had a throne pretty much every place he ever went, so he must have had about a thousand of them stashed all around the galaxy. :p I agree that he doesn't exactly need one, though.

9. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    If the game "Empire at War" has any merit, there is a level where basically palpatine on his own goes on a rampage against the bothan population using his lightsaber and force lightning.

10. Eminent_Being

May 24, 2007
    Well to be honest, Yoda was like 870 in ROTS, I think 30 years for Yoda would be like 3 years for a human. And three years doesn't really affect performance.

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    though curiously enough, I have no doubt he would be able to flip all around Dagobah in TESB
    but not at all by RotJ

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    He may have had a lot of time, but Dagobah doesn't have much in the way of supplies to make a saber. Unless Yoda went on ebay and had the parts delivered to Dagobah.

13. Eminent_Being

May 24, 2007
    He also lost his cane and cloak, but just a few hours later we see him with a new cane and a new cloak. I have no doubts that Yoda could have stopped by the Jedi Temple with Bail Organa to pick up a few things, including an extra lightsaber, or the materials needed to make one.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You know he's got like 1000 backup canes and cloaks.

15. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Yoda had just been in a major duel with Sidious AND lost, he had already been at the Temple once, it would have been suicide to return, especialy after Sidious knew he was alive and there. Who's to say Bail didn't have stuff on the Tantive IV, Yoda was already on the ship in the first place.

One way or the other, Yoda didn't have the tech to create a new Lightsaber on Dagobah.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not unless you can make a lightsaber out of rocks, sticks, and mud.

17. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    In which you cannot, so mystery solved.

18. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Some of the EU state that theres tradition for most padawan's to make their first lightsaber in a crystal cave in a certain planet.

If they could do it on a cave, and assuming Yoda actually somehow did have the parts, he'd have the technology also.

19. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Yeah, because those caves carry a crystal, and the Padawans already have the rest of the tech to create the hilt. This is entirely different. Yoda is on a swamp world, which has next to no relation with the Jedi, Yoda obviously didn't have any of the tools or gear to create a Lightsaber.

20. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    But Yoda travels to Dagobah in the same pod that he left from Kashyyyk with. Who's to say what he had in that pod with him.

21. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    It's stated it's the EXACT same pod? And, when he left Kashyyyk, that was a Wookiee pod, why would they have Lightsaber equipment? Nope, that doesn't work either.

22. Eminent_Being

May 24, 2007
    Bail just happened to have a miniature robe and a cane on Tantive IV? I doubt it. If Yoda could break into the Temple once, he could do it again.

23. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Yes, but was Yoda or was he not already on the ship in the first place, plus it's a Jedi robe, those things seem to be everywhere, no matter where you lose them. Going back to the temple for a robe seems silly.

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Wrong!
    I've read (or perhaps even heard) somewhere that they designed it specifically so it's clearly not the Kashyyyk one.
    Good job, Butt, ruining all their efforts like this :p

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Anyone got their ROTS DVD handy? One of the deleted scenes shows Yoda arriving on Dagobah in an escape pod. I don't recall if it's the same one as the one he used to escape Kashyyyk, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.