main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You have been warned!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Plo_Koen, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I appreciate your input, Sillyname. If everyone would agree there wouldn't be much of a discussion.

2. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    The OT isn't the main part of the story, they all have equal parts. Hell, ROTJ is the least important and most boring film of the 5 so far.

3. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    about the clone war beginning: I don't think it's lucas just telling to the viewer that the clone wars mentionned in anh begins....i think it simply shows the it's in fact yoda who named that war the "clone wars"...and so I find it interesting that the one who named this mythical war is such a mythical character

4. Fingolfin_Noldor

Fingolfin_Noldor Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2004
    The OT isn't the main part of the story, they all have equal parts. Hell, ROTJ is the least important and most boring film of the 5 so far.

I could say the same thing for PM and AOTC.

ROTJ after all tied everything up nicely and set the stage for all the books that came after. Not to mention it wasn't directed by Lucas and the director didn't mess it up the way Lucas messed up the PT and even ANH. Didn't anyone see the Making of Star Wars Special Edition and hear Harrison Ford commenting the acting was horrible in Episode IV?

And though I'll let my kids decide, I can't help but not feel the same way for the PT compared to the OT. Plot wise, OT was more sophisticated compared to PT and it created a deep sense of mystery and the desperation, like why Vader turned and who was the source of the misery. In PT, we are left with more and more action, more cheesy lines, and very little mention of any history that preceded.

Plus, how much Jedi philosophy is discussed in PT compared to OT? I dare say ESB and finally ROTJ explained a lot more than TPM and AOTC. Obviously, we see Yoda in his element in ESB and ROTJ.

In fact, watching the series in this order 4-5-6-1-2-3 will give the viewer a better perspective of the Force than watching it 1-2-3-4-5-6. After all, the Emperor was marked clearly by Yoda as the Sith Master behind the whole mess, and showed how powerful the dark side is and what the force is really capable of.

5. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Lucas;

"I can't start at the beginning. The audience has no patience..."

Speilberg;

"They will learn patience."

Did it occur to anyone that Lucas did the OT Intro first cause he feared that with the modern day attention span that his story might not get the best exposure?

Ep4 re-caps Ep1-3 in an exciting way, and launches you into the middle of the saga.

How many here think Empire Strike Back is the best of the three OT's?

I most certainly do.

Lucas said it himself about how drama works, its always the middle act thats the most exciting cause everything is at stake, and the backstory serves to whet your imagination.

Ep4 of the OT is really the 'middle act' of the entire SW drama.

Sure, one can easily say that today you could start with Ep1 and go onward, but really...How many revalations from the OT would come across as "tell me something I don't know," to the viewers of the future?

Luke;

"I can't forsake history, they're my friends I have to support them."

Yoda;

"You must view the saga with Ep1 first!"

Luke;

"But Han and Leia's surprises will die if I don't!"

Obi-Wan;

"If you chose to view the OT first you will do it alone. I cannot interfere..."

Note the irony of that.

Think of it this way;

If Luke had indeed listened to Yoda and Ben, I would think that many others that played vital roles in the future would be foresaken.

Sure they would have got away, but Luke's final confrontation with his old man would have gone a lot differently now wouldn't it?

Luke;

"Ben...Ben...why didn't you let me watch the PT first?...."

;)

6. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    I guess 1-6 is a good way for future generations to watch the films. That way they can see the films get progressively better (with an ever so slight dip in quality in part 6), as opposed to seeing the classic trilogy and then seeing the Star Wars franchise get worse.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The prequels are not worse than the OT. They're the same level of quality.

8. SHB-JR

SHB-JR Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Whatever.....

9. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    The prequels are not worse than the OT. They're the same level of quality.

Very true.

10. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Very true.

"From a certain point of view."-Obi Wan Kenobi

There are certain aspects of the prequels that make me like them less than the originals (I don't see Anakin as likeable, Jar Jar, boring Senate scenes), but if you like them the same, then more power to you.

I still think the original versions should be released on DVD though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.