main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD You know what ... ?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by BarWars, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Well we are having a group viewing of it, so yeah, I s'pose.

2. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    YKW disappointing?

Richard E Grant is playing in the stage production of "My Fair Lady" that's currently in Australia, and I missed it! :oops: (Although it is still in Sydney... [face_thinking])

3. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    What?? How the Frak did I miss that??

Well I am going to Sydney soon...

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

4. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    It's a common experience that happens to us all at some point, bonding us as a species: the horrible realisation that you might have seen Richard E Grant perform without knowing it.

I asked around (my extended family is full of experts on that production, as they've been keenly following my cousin's role in the ensemble cast). Turns out REG only just started as Professor Higgins when the show returned to Sydney last month.

It's a shame he didn't join just a little bit earlier, but you can both rest easy knowing you didn't miss an opportunity right under your noses: it was one state and one month removed from any of the aforementioned nostrils.

5. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Well that's a relief. Would have to kick myself a bit more if I actually had missed him in Brisbane. [face_whistling]

6. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    YKW?

It never occurred to me when I was nary but knee-high that the Baron in popular movie, "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was constantly trying to murder the Baroness in relatively violent ways.

7. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    YKW?

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day :) It harkens back to the good old black and white comedies, maybe even before sound, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't mean to make fun of you Morgs, but it did make me laugh. Maybe I just was exposed to more of that sort of thing as a kid so I understood it. The baron and baroness scenes where always my favourite.

I think I have to get a copy of that movie now...

And I've now got the song they sing stuck in my head...

8. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Heh, it's all good - I like that scene with their duet too - it's just funny what you don't click with when you're little. :)

YKW else, the beginnings of the Supanova 09 guest list has gone up online (interesting ones bolded).

Morena Baccarin ? Serenity, Firefly, Stargate: The Ark of Truth
    Eric Roberts ? The Dark Knight, Heroes, D.O.A. and Doctor Who
    Richard Hatch ? Original and Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica
    Jhonen Vasquez ? Invader Zim, Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
    Nicola Scott ? Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Star Wars Empire
    David Yardin ? X-Men vs Hulk, Black Panther, Storm Melbourne only
    Vic Mignogna ? Full Metal Alchemist, DragonBall Z, Bleach
    Dave Willis ? Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost Coast to Coast
    Dana Snyder ? Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Venture Brothers

9. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    A promising list, fo' sho'.

I'm frankly unsettled just thinking the thought of the sort of people that will come out of the shadows for Jhonen Vasquez. Though I'm oddly and morbidly compelled by the idea of seeing him interacting with the fans he so famously hates. :p

We need to start compiling a list of DOA-specific questions for Oscar Nominee Eric Roberts.

10. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    1. "So, was that your own hair in DOA?"

2. "How long were you in the stylist's chair each day before shooting?"

3. "Did you learn martial arts for DOA in particular, or had you done some before?"

4. "Do you think comparisons between yourself and David Carradine over DOA are unfair to Mr. Carradine?"

That should get you started :p

Vasquez hates his fans? Please elaborate.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

11. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    YKW scary? [face_worried]

I start a new job on Monday. I only heard about it/applied for it/got it yesterday afternoon.

It'll be good because I find this job depressing and need a change, also I'll be paid at an AO3 level instead of an AO2 - so the difference in pay will be nice.

At the same time though - I don't really have time to hand over my work (the little of it that there is), and I'm so entrenched in my current area that I'm afraid of leaving and change - I've grown too comfortable here apparently.

Also the job is only for a month, but there'll always be other opportunities, and I suppose it is better than Schrödinger's Job.

I might go cower under my desk for a bit though.

12. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Aww [:D] it'll be fun, Morgs. And the extra money is always nice. Besides, in government 1 month jobs have a habit of turning in to something just a little longer :)

13. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    You know what...I'm not fussed on?

Thew 'Coral' side of the new banner ( Shift-Refresh...hint-hint)... I'm taking suggestions.

14. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    YKW sucks but I don't feel right posting it in the YKWS thread since it's hardly as serious or impactful as the most recent posts there?

Tosche Station's internet STILL isn't working, even with a brand new router. That means it IS the modem that's screwed, because we've replaced EVERYTHING else: the router, the network cables, even the friggin' Cable cable running into the house. Short of voodoo, I can't think of anything else to do. I'm ticked off to the extreme because I was so looking forward to playing the Left 4 Dead demo tonight, and I don't think my sanity could take the constant disconnects, and also because I was up too late last night trying to diagnose the problem and my stress levels are always magnified way way out of proportion when I don't get enough sleep.

Saturday's agenda: calling up Optus and telling them as forcefully as necessary that they can no longer pass the buck to the router and that we want a new modem NOW.

15. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    New jobs are scary. You'll be nervous and feel weird and all that but you know it's the right thing to do. AO3's rock! :)

GOOD LUCK!

16. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I agree...

I like the concept of a triptych style banner, but the three images images kind of need to blend into each other in order to be most effective. Maybe try switching the city shot and the rainforest shot and using a different reef pic and blending the three in somehow so the transition from each image isn't so jarring.

EDIT:

Try trimming a little bit off the edge of the cityscape, so that the image ends at the corner of the taller high-rise, and that into the edge of the first tree on the Endor pic, so that you can still see Threepio. Dunno what to do about the coral one though, save for getting a new pic altogether and starting afresh on that part.

17. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Thanks for the tip, Cargs.

(Working on shadows...then I'm done. I like the new last panel.)

18. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    YKW..I've finally bloomin remembered!!??

A TV show I watched when I was a teenager that I've been trying to remember the title of forever:

Saturdee!

Was set in the 1920's and just about a bunch of kids and what they did on Saturday morning. LOVED this show. All I can find out about it though was that it ran for 10 episodes only in 1986 and was probably based on something by Norman Lindsay.

John Gauci wrote it, who also wrote Pugwall, a kids tv series I also really liked. Man they had good Australian made kids tv shows back then.

I feel much better now.
    Now if I could just find someone else that rememembers it, it'll validate the last 2 years of my search!!

19. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    *hand up*

Yeah, I remember that show. Was an interesting period piece. Australia has always made good children's TV. What's better is that we'd cornered the niche market on children's sci-fi; Spellbinder, Ocean Girl, The Girl From Tomorrow, Thunderstone were all excellent.

Of course, I'm still trying to find someone else who's actually seen either Robostory or Spartakus and The Sun Beneath the Sea.

Now if someone could tell me the name of the British show about a magic candle, I'd be much obliged.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

20. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    While we're on this bandwagon, I need to find out the name of the show about a boy and an alien 'cloud' that spoke to him in his bedroom. I think the thing's name was "chocky".

[edit - of course, I could have clicked my heels together three times and googled. Chocky (John Wyndham book turned 80's UK TV show.)]

21. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    YKW is really odd?

I had a dream last night that had Obama getting assassinated shortly before taking office. It was one of those odd dreams that felt really real, the kind where you have to check news sites all over the world to make sure it was just a dream :S

22. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    You know what just happened?

I got accepted into uni. Doing Animation at Qantm next year. I'm happy that I'm in uni, and I'm moving ahead in life, but I'll miss not having responsibilities and all that.

so yay?

23. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    =D= Definitely a 'yay' MS, I'd apply for Qantm if I werent 1000km from their nearest college.

24. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Congrats MS. Tis a scary feeling , half exciting, half WTH?

Can't you do both? Uni and the responsibilities?

Happy for you to be doing what you want!

25. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Grats MS!

YKW is irritating?
    My feet are covered in ant bites. They are somewhat swollen, difficult to walk on, and people at work insist on asking whether I stood in an ant nest... Do I look stupid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.