main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I run into that problem at times but I don't let it bother me.

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I use names seen during my work in the archives

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I never use Behindthename.com or anything like that for character names anymore, so I don't run into that problem. My newest method? Taking the first two or three letters from either a name or a word, and adding either the last two or three letters, the first two or three, or just one letter from another name or word. I'll also use the so-called "Karen Traviss Character Naming Method," in which you close your eyes and type a consonant, vowel, consonant, vowel, consonant, and you have a name. For example: Kalem

pronker likes this.
  4. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I named a few few planets using countries but I spelled their names backwards and in an upcoming one cut the first letter off. So Japan becomes Napaj and Germany becomes Inamreg. I changed the 'Y' into an 'I' since it looked better.

I use either Google Translate or the Babylon translation program for names of alien races

I have used behind the name for definitions but that's it.

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you love the Elvish and Hobbit name generator so much that your characters end up having code names in Elvish.

6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    ...you help administrate a wiki dedicated to fanon and fan fiction, attaining that position through the crafting of stories and relevant encyclopedic articles in addition to other admin-type stuff.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...You help administrate a wiki dedicated to fanon and fan-fiction, attaining that position through the crafting of stories, drawing of pictures, writing of relevant articles, in addition to spending countless of hours hitting "Random Page" and going general maintenance, the type of stuff no one else wants to spend countless of hours doing because it is tedious as all hell.

...While you do such things, you look upon the ideas of others and either genuinely like them, shake your head and wonder why, considering borrowing aspects of them, or flat-out determining that you can do a better job, which spurns you onto a writing spree that never really goes anywhere.

8. Jedi Master Thon

Jedi Master Thon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2013
    TrakNar is that wiki swfanon.wikia.com? Because I was stalking you one day, and I found you. :p

I love borrowing fanon elements and putting them into my stories. It's one universe, after all!

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Hmmm, I'm very protective of my characters, so if someone 'borrowed' from my universe without telling me, I'd be a little upset.

J_Girl likes this.
  10. Jedi Master Thon

Jedi Master Thon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2013
    If they're on a fanon wiki, which anyone can edit/screw up, then someone borrowing characters would be the least of my worries. And if I were to publish them on a fanfic site I would give cred.

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't mean borrow characters, mists no. I meant borrow aspects. There is a tremendous difference.

J_Girl likes this.
  12. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Some of us on the Star Wars Fanon Wiki advertise the fact that we allow other users (on the wiki, at least) to incorporate references to our fanon in their own stories. For example, my fanon military branch, the Republic Marines, bears that tag.

13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when you have to ask forgiveness BEFORE you indulge in mystical technobabble.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    ...When you start to consider adapting your upcoming Wushu campaign into comic form... before you even start the campaign.

15. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    ... when you spend inordinate amounts of time creating a playlist of music specific to your fic so you can be inspired while you write. This is when JW's body of SW work just isn't sparking.... aww who I am kidding? It's in the playlist, too. There is a playlist for each fic I have going. I have spent months making lists of what needs to be included for each fic and in what order. What can I say? My muse likes to shake her booty and sway with cell over her head on the slow parts. Whatever it takes to keep her around!

16. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    You would laugh if something happened to Facebook but would die if fanfiction.net (or wherever you post your fanfics) went down.

pronker, Lady_Misty and TrakNar like this.
  17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Hah! Every time TFN goes down, I don't know what to do with myself!

18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    When you know your characters just as good or better than real people and don't give a hill of beans over that fact.

I understand fictional characters better than real people.

19. Valley_Lord

Valley_Lord Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2005
    When you're still doing this while having a time consuming job.[face_coffee]

SiouxFan likes this.
  20. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    When you're still doing this AT your time-consuming job! (We were really slow over Christmas last year...)

pronker likes this.
  21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Or when you quit doing your job just to write fanfiction.

pronker and SiouxFan like this.
  22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    When the readership/lack of readership determines the level of your depression. (Or maybe that's just a writerly thing in general).

23. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^^Yeah. I'm like, 'C'mon people, this is actually pretty good, why aren't any of you reading it?' Maybe I need to get braver and post over here; I've only posted on FF.N.

24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    If we don't know about the story...we can't read it. Why don't you put a link in your sig. I would LOVE to review your story. o_O

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

I think it definitely contributes. [:D]