main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    When any movie or television show you watch, any song you hear, anything weird thing your family does is automatically examined for plot bunny potential.

When you rush home from a wonderful day at the lake to be home when the SFFA awards start. (GUILTY)

When you keep a list of names to use for OC's so that if inspiration doesn't strike when you need it to you have a back up.

Getting your child involved in fanfiction and then speaking in secret code with them, much to the annoyance of their siblings.

When you begin naming pets not only after Canon characters but after OC's you've either written or admired. I swear I'm going to name the next animal we get "SHAI" after obi_ew's OC!

2. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    ... you know your OCs better than your family...

... your computer's memory is mostly taken up by word documents...

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    ...your CDs on Windows Media are no longer labeled by their names but by the fan fic you write while listening to them. (Totally guilty). :p

...you get a bunny so horrible that it bounces around in your mind to see how many different fandoms you can write it in.

...your rejoice when your teacher talks about "creative writing assignments."

...everyone in your family has an OC character modeled after them.

4. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    ...you get a bunny so horrible that it bounces around in your mind to see how many different fandoms you can write it in.

This one happened to me recently. It was terrible. There wre so many different books and movies I could have written it for!

5. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    "You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When..."

you work out plot points and dialogue in your head to kill time while you're driving your car (and no, I've not been in any accidents because of this...yet. :p )

sg

6. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    You know your original characters so well you swear they're living in the house with you and you blame them when things turn up missing like car keys ...

That's Jace. He eats all the cookies in this house, I swear.
    I'm also guilty of the Word spell checker ones, though I now write mostly in Notepad (easier to format HTML and board code. properly, I mean.)
    And the SW swear word ones.

hm...

When the following scene is a regular occurrence in English classes:
    Teacher: OK, write a 600-word story for next week.
    dj: whoo~
    Teacher: dj, don't write about Star Wars.
    dj: >_<

You get so desperate to write during class sometimes, that you'll write on absolutely any piece of paper you can find. (the centre of my Maths jotter, for instance... squared paper annoys me)

You find a way to relate every song on your playlist to a fic you've either read or written.

After watching Fahrenheit 9/11, you feel like writing a fic about Borsk Fey'lya during the YV war.

7. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    ...you find yourself turning your back on your friends while at lunch or on the bus so they won't see words like "Skywalker" and "lightsabre" on your paper.

...you put on a Gi, shut your eyes, and kneel for a few minutes to get into the mindset of a character

...you're in a conversation and are about to relate to somebody's predicament with one you've had when suddenly you realize that it never happened to you; it happened to an OC

...you save emails, IMs, etc with lines that sparked plot bunnies

...you have a screen name/email address named for an OC

8. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    ...When you and your friend have more OCs than you can convientely count stored in your heads and you RP out scenes without meaning to which most likely get turned into story chapters.

...When you stay up way past midnight trying to scribble out the rest of this idea you have.

...When you carry more notebooks for your fanfiction than for your actual class

...When you do something wrong and automatically blame it on one of your other OC personalities.

...When you lose a floppy disk and are more concerned about loosing your next chapter than the essay that's due tomorrow.

You know your original characters so well you swear they're living in the house with you and you blame them when things turn up missing like car keys ... check... a very large Check.

...you use SW cuss words in real life. Yup, here too. Well, if you say sith, than people won't think you're really cursing...

You dream about your OCs

You dream about your stories

You will space out in the middle of a conversation because of an idea for a fic.
    Saddly, all of these...

...you're in a meeting or class and find yourself staring at your pencil, trying to get it to move by using the Force. Guitly more times than I can count

...you find yourself trying to get into the mindset of one of your OCs when faced with a difficult situation. Saddly, an OC will probably have already taken control with this...

You're listening to the radio or a CD and suddenly a story idea or scene pops into your head. This and for characters....

When you have more than three fanfics open in your word processor at once. Guilty again. Sometiems I've got about 7.

:Targeter:

9. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    ...you find yourself turning your back on your friends while at lunch or on the bus so they won't see words like "Skywalker" and "lightsabre" on your paper.

Oh yeah. I do that all the time.

You know you're a Fan Fic writer when...

The waiter at your favorite restaurant knows you simply as the person who's always writing during dinner.

You beginning reading through the dictionary so you can have the perfect word for the latest scene you're working on. (My friends are always making fun of me for that one.)

You use words like 'beta,' 'plot bunny,' and other fan fics codes in RL conversations.

10. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    You start reading this thread chuckling about how true, then stop when you realize how much of this you do yourself...

...and can still think of a few more things to add. *laughs*

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    ...when you try to use your favorite characters most notable force power in a meeting, hoping to hear "ack...".

12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    You take up martial arts just so you can get your fight scenes down right.

*raises hand* Done that! Which is why the girl who nearly flunked Phys Ed is only one step away from black belt! Ah, if my gym teacher were only alive to see me now...

Oh, and YKYAFFWW: you spend 3 hours on the phone to your neuroscientist friend, grilling her on scientific details for your story...

13. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    When you are sitting in the new local restaraunt and you order a food from the Star Wars realm, and the waitress looks at you quizzically.

When you can't think of the right answer on your world history test, so you give the historical data of Tatooine, and you get an A.

When you call your mother Leia.

When you call your dad Leia.

When you name your pet after your OC.

When you mow your lawn you think about how your OC would handle chores.

When you ask your mother for some bacta instead of a band-aid.

When you read King Arthur for English and parallel it to the Star Wars universe.

When any Celine Dion sad love song turns into a Jaina Solo viggie.

When you can't stop thinking about Star Wars in general!

14. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Apr 11, 2004
    Your hubby asks the kids what's that thumping sound coming from the computer room and they reply "Mom's got Darth Writer's Block again."

15. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    ROTFL!!! [face_laugh] Great one, Vampi_Digitalwytch!

16. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Apr 11, 2004
    That actually happened. What made it funnier was my hubby poking his head in the room asking if he dressed up as Obi-Wan would that help?

17. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, man, guilty of a LOT of these! Especially the song ones. I find myself relating every song I hear to SW characters, usually Luke/Mara.

You start using Star Wars swear words instead of real ones in real life.

Done that one!

You dream about your stories

DEFINITELY done that one...

Work becomes the annoyance into your writing time.

Ain't that the truth!

Friends or family ask you what you did last night, and you lie and say something else when you actually spent all evening working on or reading fan fic.

Guilty WAY too many times...

When you can't think of the right answer on your world history test, so you give the historical data of Tatooine, and you get an A.

That one made me laugh out loud!

When the following scene is a regular occurrence in English classes:
    Teacher: OK, write a 600-word story for next week.
    dj: whoo~
    Teacher: dj, don't write about Star Wars.
    dj: >_<

Bummer! :p

Okay, here's a few of my own...

-When you're so enthused about a fanfic you're reading, you rush home from work just to see if the author replied to your comment yet.

-When you've bugged your family so much about what they think of your story that they start to avoid you at get-togethers.

-While watching Spider-Man 2, you look at the scene on the train where the people lift a passed-out Spidey over their heads and think "Wow, that would be really cool to do with Luke!" (I really did that! [face_blush] )

-When you describe your story to your mother as an AU of the OT with L/M and H/L and then realize you have to explain all that to her! (unless you're lucky enough to be VadersMistress and your mother is VaderLVR64! ;) )

18. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    LOL at Vampi and her hubby.

My contribution:

You know... when your 5 year old calls the time you spend writing fanfic "working" and you don't correct her.

KD

19. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm mad, I had a really good one, but then forgot. And as this goes on I get more and more guilty.

... You pick up any book and automatically try to figure out something to do with the characters.

20. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Apr 11, 2004
    You know... when your 5 year old calls the time you spend writing fanfic "working" and you don't correct her.

ROFLM*AO! Ooooh...my house isn't the only one where that happens...*laughs again*

21. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    ...you admit your spelling errors by spelling "spelling" S-P-E-E-L-I-N-G.

I've seen alot of others who are very guilty of this and you know who you are. [face_shame_on_you] :p

22. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Goodness I'm guilty of half of those hehee LOVED the "mom's got darth writer's block again"

I was complaining to my hubby about my laptop's lack of memory -- then realized over half the space was taken up by chat programs and word documents ... yeah...

When watching Episode 1 and 2 you keep thinking of different ways you could've done it better in an AU.....

23. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

... you use "writer's block" as an excuse to grab some well earned free time.

24. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    You have a screen name / e-mail address named for an OC Guilty!!!

You get up in the middle of the night to write down plot bunnies.

You have so many stories going that you have to delete the links to old ones.

You get mad when your sibling/parent/friend reads your notepad because they might steal your bunny.

You know why its called a plot bunny

You've resorted to using Appleworks because IT doesn't have the annoying red lines (I have!)

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, I forgot...

...when you start seeing OCs on the sidewalk and the train everyday! I swear Hai Gan's Thom Capella swooshed by me on a bicycle in New Orleans last May!!! And a friend of mine says she saw a character from one of my non-SW stories at a Christie's auction once...