main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yuuzhan Vong getting incredibly old

Discussion in 'Literature' started by neimoidian_85, Aug 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Am I the only one who thinks this. I mean at first everything was awesome, like their technology, but now it is getting plain old.

I want a new threat, one that uses real technology and not just living things.

2. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Man, have you reached the end of Rebirth yet? Things are just now starting to get interesting with the Yuuzhan Vong.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
  4. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    I haven't read it yet.

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, the constant struggle between the NR and the Empire got old. And the Vong still have a bit of an edge. Read Rebirth.

6. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I agree with the topic. Incredibly old.

7. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Vong grew SO much in EoV. I won't look at them in the same light again.

8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I would have agreed before Rebirth. But still, I can think of things I'd rather see in SW.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Jeff 42...
    "I agree with the topic. Incredibly old."

Well, they have been travelling a long time - of course they're going to age, their ships are going to age. That's going to cause them some problems. Just one of the many issues of conducting an extragalactic invasion.

10. Darth_Hospodar

Darth_Hospodar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2000
    They WERE getting very OLD in Balance Point - I was going to give EoV a shot, then if that sucked, move on to something else....

But EoV (100 pages more to go in Rebirth) so far has turned it all around, and as long as the Vong don't go out a la "War of the Worlds", i.e., a reaction to the GFFA - then the way this series is going will be wonderful!

11. Darth-Cartman

Darth-Cartman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2001
    I keep reading about the "War of the Worlds" ending. Is there a serious rumor out that this may indeed happen? It frightens me because that would be cheap . . .

Or did someone just throw it out there one day?

12. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I haven't been tired of the Vong yet and the Edge of Victory series has only added much more depth to the Vong as a species. We've been introduced to the Shamed Ones and the Shapers. The Vong are only becoming more interesting, at least in my opinion.

13. MAD6121

MAD6121 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    I agree with those who said that the EoV duology expanded the Vong more. The only thing that I don't like about the Vong is their bio-tech and all the other strange gizmos and gadgets they have. But they are an awesome enemy and have gotten more interesting.

14. Darth_Hospodar

Darth_Hospodar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2000
    Darth_Cartman -

I think I could possibly be the source of the War of the Worlds ending idea - I had a thread detailing AWFUL ways to end the NJO, and that was in there!

I dunno if that's why the ships are sick in EoV, I hope not!

15. Drew

Drew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 1998
    I agree - before Rebirth, the Vong were getting boring, it seemed as though they were just there and beating the NR...bad! But now it seems there is more of an edge to them as we are getting into more of the internal struggles of the Vong "society". When they were simply "there" and beating the NR, it wasn't such great reading as the 3rd person perspective that was present when reading earlier novels (with the Empire being the foe). Now we get to see and understand more about the Vong and are able to enjoy that "omniscience" again :D

16. GaMeCuBe182

GaMeCuBe182 Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2001
    I think the Yuuzhan Vong bring fresh new beginnings in the SW universe. I think they are really interesting besides that they can't be sensed through the Force. It's great to hear about something besides the Empire. What I really want to see are new weapons, esp. from the Jedi. It would be sort of cool seeing something else besides a lightsabre. I also want to see some new planes, esp. made to destroy the Yuuzhan Vong coralskippers. Last but not least, I want to see some new Jedi techniques or seldomly used ones.

http://members.ud.com/vypc/cancer/

This is a website that has a program that is designed to find medicine that will hopefully cure cancer. THIS IS NO JOKE

17. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    I have to disagree. The Yuuzhan Vong are only getting more interesting, IMO. Anyone bored, tired or freaked out by the Vong biotech should check out TV shows like Babylon 5 or Farscape for examples of how living technology is used.

18. Major_Derek_Klivian

Major_Derek_Klivian Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2001
    What was getting old for me was enemies that would crumble so easily when ole' Luke and Han and Leia went after them. It's nice to see that there is an enemy other than the Empire that is actually tough.

19. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    Star by Star is the midpoint of the NJO so we should expect this to even better than Rebirth was.

And what about Shimrra?

Would you look upon me, Adept? Would you look upon me and die?

20. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    The Vong are just starting to get interesting. I like the fact that we are learning about individuals who have personalities.

21. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    The Vong should have conquered the Galaxy by now. I am really disappointed.

22. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    No one's answered just how old they thing the Vong are. I agree to a point with Neimoidian_85 that they're probably pretty old as a species. However, I think they already are old - perhaps old enough to have come from the GFFA, colonize another galaxy and then return. The kind of biotechnology they have doesn't come overnight.

23. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    I found the Vong in Rebirth just more of the same.
    I'm very, very tired of them.
    There is no variety, just the same self-mutilating, ethno-centric, single minded conquering barbarians.
    I'm not impressed with their internal struggles. Neither side evokes any sympathy, I could root for Shamed Ones if we actually saw more of them.
    Their bio-tech is getting out of hand. I actually enjoyed the bio-tech of VP and found most of it from Onslaught and Ruin and BP believable within the SWU, but lately it's just gotten so Trekish. I keep expecting Anakin to "mind-meld" with some Vong contraption.
    Oh wait I think he has..... with his newly improved lightsaber

"Hey, the constant struggle between the NR and the Empire got old."
    I'm so tired of hearing this sort of simplistic statement.

The Vong are the main villain in every NJO book, the minor villains are just their dupes.
    In the Bantam and early DelRey books, the Empire was NOT the sole villain.

We didn't have 7 books in a row (and another couple of years coming) with the same villains, the same struggle.

Take a look at the list of previous books (as listed inside the NJO books) and their antagonists
    • Han Solo Trilogy (Crispin) -- Hutts, Imps in book three
    • Lando Adventures -- Rokur Gepta, weird obsessed wizard
    • HS trilogy (Daley) -- Corporate Authority, slavers, pirates, pre-Republic droids
    • SotME -- Empire
    • SotE -- Black Sun, Vader
    • BHW -- I never did figure out who were the bad guys in this series
    • X wings -- Empire, War Lords
    • CoPL -- Night Sisters, War Lord
    • TTT -- Empire, in many forms from Thrawn to mad Jedi to criminals
    • JAT-- Dead Sith Lord, Empire
    • I Jedi -- Dead Sith Lord, Sith trained semi-Jedi, pirates
    • CotJ -- Empire and Imperial wannabes
    • DS -- Hutts, left over Imps
    • PoT -- Imp leftovers
    • CS -- Rogue Jedi, creature from another dimension
    • BFC -- Yevetha
    • Corellian Trilogy -- Corellian renegades
    • NR -- Kueller, demented ego maniac who uses ex-Imps to further his goals
    • HoT -- Left over Imps, Chiss
    • JJK -- Sith and Vader wannabe
    • YJK: (Shadow Academy) -- Left over Imps
    • YJK (Diversity Alliance) -- Disenfranchised nonhumans
    • YJK:(Black Sun) -- Criminals

Except for X-wing books, I don't see the NR facing the same enemy, the same war, book after book after book.
    The "Well the Imps were boring, too" argument just doesn't hold up when one looks at the actual books.

24. Darth Tuna

Darth Tuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 1999
    I agree, Dewlanna, that the Vong are really boring and one dimensional. There are many varieties of evil out there, and it is instructive to see Jedi fight them. The Vong have not been satisfactory enemies for the Jedi because they have had to rely too little on their Jedi powers and connection to the Force, which is what sets them apart from the other sci-fi worldviews.

I think it is disturbing when people actually think Kyp's behavior is acceptable and are seeing him as the true Jedi, when he is actually a smug action hero who wants to win at any cost.

That said, Rebirth has made the enemy alot more complex and interesting. I actually enjoyed this NJO bookand am looking forward to the next one, which I haven't since that dreadful book VP came out.

25. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Excellent post, Dewlanna! The Bantam books did use a variety of villains, not just the Empire.

I certainly agree that the Yuuzhan Vong are getting very, very old. With the books as short as they are, it's also a waste of page space to keep being reminded of the Vong's self-mutilations, sacrificed body parts, and increasingly ridiculous bio-technology.

It's frustrating to think that we still have to put up with this already incredibly tiresome group of villains for another 11 books! :(

I also don't like the fact that the Yuuzhan Vong are being portrayed as a far bigger threat to the Galaxy than the Empire ever was. I think that diminishes the whole SW film saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.