main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zahn, Lucas, or Tolkein

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ThrawnFreak, Oct 3, 2001.

?

Zahn, Lucas, or Tolkein

Poll closed Mar 28, 2012.
  1. Zahn

16.0%
  2. Lucas

42.0%
  3. Tolkein

42.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    I think Zahn would look the best as a purple bunny.

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    Tolkien.

Why?

Easy.

Every other modern fantasy, including space opera fantasy like Star Wars, is abased on his work. (Pingvin would be proud... my old history teacher, used to always tell me that...)

And, he used my native language as the base for his Elven, and read our national epic with a dictionary.

Ara
    (Gotta run, late for a class!)

3. Jedi-Rascal

Jedi-Rascal Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2001
    be obstinate Jedi Rascal!

Oh I'm obstinate. Ask Bib in the games forum! ;)

4. ThrawnFreak

ThrawnFreak Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2001
    Sorry everyone; I spelled Tolkien wrong in the poll...I forgot which way it was :( LONG LIVE TOLKIEN!(btw i do know he is dead) I would have let lucas live if it wasnt for TPM!;)
    amen bib! ;)

5. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    Pratchett (only 12 days 'til The Last Hero. WooHoo!)

6. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    Why is lucas garnering so many votes? The man has yet to write a star wars novel. Yes, you read that correctly. Tolkien, nuff said. Zahn, reignited the eu. Lucas...uhh, didn't he co-author some Nonsw fantasy series or something?

7. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Lucas wrote Star Wars. Yes, he didn't write the novel. But hes the dude that locks himself in his office and writes Star Wars out on a notepad. Hes the guy that overlooks everything. He is Star Wars. Hes not God. But he is Star Wars.

8. Lott_Dod

Lott_Dod Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2001
    I think Lucas is the best storyteller (but I haven't read Tolkien yet).

9. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    you guys...lucas DID write the novelization of ANH, which was the best moive novelization that i have ever read. He just doesnt measure up to tolkien...i mean, tolkien was the ORIGINAL.

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Star Wars is based on Tolkien? Sorry, but there I must disagree. Star Wars is based more on mythology than the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, or any Tolkien work for that matter. Likewise, Tolkien's works are more likely to be based on mythology.

11. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    JadedOfMara--

Um...no, George Lucas did not write the novelization of A New Hope. He's CREDITED with being the author, but Alan Dean Foster was the actual author. Foster was hired by Lucas to write the first two Star Wars novels--one based on GL's script, which appeared under Lucas's name, and one written as a possible sequel to the first Star Wars film. That second book was published under Foster's name, and was called Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Lucas chose a different direction for a sequel, so SotME became the first EU novel.

12. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    He's right. Foster was a ghost writer when he wrote the novelization to ANH. I've seen it mentioned on here and a few other places. I believe the official site even says so.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    What I am saying in my last post was that Toliken gave the general direction of epic fantasy, and SW if anything is Cosmic Epic Fantasy.

Ara
    (Too tired for her own good...)

14. CloneofPhanan

CloneofPhanan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2000
    George Lucas. Unlike Tolkien, Lucas' universe is entertaining.

15. DesignSith

DesignSith Jedi Master star 2

Feb 12, 2000
    ... And where would be the None of the Above option?

16. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    ARE YOU *CENSORED* SERIUOS?????????
    OH MAN AM I PISSED NOW!! Ever since fifth grade I have thought that George Lucas wrote the novelization! ARGH! And it was really Alan Dean Foster! ALL THESE YEARS I HAVE BEEN THINKING THAT GEORGE LUCAS WAS A DECENT WRITER!!! AND NOW I LOOK REALLY STUPID!!

ARGHHHHHH!

(sorry about the ranting, folks, but this pisses me off!!!)

17. JediSilverstar

JediSilverstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2001
    It's hard to compare Lucas and Tolkien because one is a filmmaker, the other an author. But think of it, in their respective fields the two are almost identical. Both are the creators of four of the most beloved works. Both have massive cult fan followings. Both wrote timeless classic trilogies and a prequel which was not considered to be as good as the trilogy, and both are not considered very good by "purists" (jerks in my opinion) in their respective fields. So Tolkien and Lucas are mirror images of each other and have both earned their places as the idols of millions of die-hard fans like us

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.