main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation 2 to 3 movies a year?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Guybrush, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    "Disney's plan to revive the long-running Star Wars saga could be far more ambitious than first thought following reports that the studio is planning two to three new movies every year.

In the wake of Disney's $4.05bn purchase of all rights to Star Wars, filmgoers were expecting a new trilogy of films released over several years. But according to a number of US sites, new Lucasfilm chief executive Kathleen Kennedy has a far more aggressive plan. She is quoted as telling the new edition of Entertainment Weekly, which is due to hit US news stands today, that Disney envisions "two or three films a year"."

2. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Interesting if there is some truth to this. Is it really that smart from a business standpoint though? What would be the advantage of pumping movies out that quickly?

What source did you get this from?

3. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
  4. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
  5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This was brought up in the other thread and it was mentioned that this is a misinterpretation. I don't think they intend to do 2-3 Star Wars films a year, but rather, 2-3 films produced by Lucasfilm per year. There's a big difference.

6. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    That seems like it could risk over-saturation! Can they really keep a consistent quality in production and story-telling with that many movies?

7. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    That makes loads more sense. Thank you for the info.

8. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    There won't be three to two Star Wars films a year, this seems to be a misquote.

The original quote was there will be a new Star Wars film every two to three years, easy to see how that could be misquoted.

9. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    That makes more sense.
    So they have the Star Wars trilogy coming up
    Indiana jones could be on the menu
    And Lucas had a fairy tale musical he was going to produce...remember that?
    I guess with the success of rango they can also make more full feature animation movies.
    Do they bring back willow?

10. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Howard the Duck prequel trilogy.

11. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Unless it is an official announcement from Lucasfilm/Disney or Kennedy/Lucas I would put absolutely NO faith in news or magazine articles like this, or the seemingly 1 million "industry insiders" who know everything already. Magazine publishers probably have people mining forums such as this one for speculation information and will be pumping out unsubstantiated articles to sell magazines for quite awhile. The only magazine you could probably trust with genuine news will be Star Wars Insider....I'm hoping there will be a sequel update starting soon, like the Prequel updates McCallum used to do :-D. On the other hand, it DOES show just how excited the public is about this

12. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    O
    OH YAH.....now that they have BOTH Marvel and Lucasfilm, Disney can finally make the movie Howard truly deserved :p

13. nitinblurayfan

nitinblurayfan Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2012
    I think it's a movie every 2-3 years.

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Right - KK said they want Lucasfilm to produce 2-3 movies per year - not 2-3 Star Wars movies - just movies. I don't understand the confusion. LF will be doing more than SW films is what it looks like to me.

15. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Hasn't this already been pretty much confirmed? The same way Marvel has 2 movies a year out I wouldn't be surprised if there are two Star Wars movies a year, not an official Episode X or whatever but maybe in 2016, 2017 off years for the continuing Episodes something like a Wookie movie, a bounty hunter movie, movies set in the Star Wars universe but not direct sequels. Bet on it.

16. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I hope that the sequel trilogy is given space from any other Star Wars films.

After episode 9 let the flood gates open. An animated Thrawn trilogy, a set of Maul, Boba, Yoda films. Knights of the old Republic and Star Wars set way in future- yeah baby bring it all on. Star Wars laid the road, Marvel showed us the way one lets blow this thing and go home!

17. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    It just been they plan to produce and distribute 2 to 3 films a years. Not 2 or 3 Star Wars films a years. Episode 7 is just the first MOVIE they intend to produce.

krtmd likes this.
  18. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Well said. =D=

19. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Still, once the ST trilogy is finished, they could shift to having one movie per year, or perhaps even 3 per 2 years, by focusing on various characters/aspects of the Star Wars universe. For example, one year it might be the continuing adventures of the Skywalker/Solo family, the next year a movie from a series focused on the members of a starfighter squadron like in the X-Wing novels, and in the year after that they combine both for an ensemble movie/grand battle where everyone is involved as Marvel did with The Avengers.

20. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    I seriously doubt they are going to sit around a decade waiting for Episode 12 to finish to recoup their investments I'll bet money in 2016 or 2017 we will see the first stand alone movie/movies. Next year there is going to be a Wolverine movie, Thor 2 and Iron Man 3, in 2014 there will be 4(!) marvel movies out that year. Trust me these are coming.

I also think the abandoned Grady Ranch studios were likely going to be the homebase for this, there would probably be 2-3 Star Wars movies (or more) in continuous production and I am sure they were hoping to save costs by keeping standing departments and reusing things like costumes, sets, animatronics.

21. DarthGaga

DarthGaga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2004
    I would bet that Lucasfilm puts out a Star Wars film every 2-3 years, but 2-3 films in general per year. And people need to stop limiting their vision on just Star Wars and Indy. GL probably has many ideas/concepts that were acquired in the LFL deal, and regardless of whether those films ever get made, you can bet that KK and Co. will bring on talent and develop more original ideas.

22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    2-3 movies a year!? I'd rather they did 1 a year so they could perfect them and make it more exciting for us waiting for a new SW movie each year.

23. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    None of this makes sense.

'It just been they plan' - huh?
    'films a years' - huh?

24. Watcher07

Watcher07 Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2012
    http://blastr.com/2012/11/disney-planning-2-or-3-st.php
    From the article:

If that is the case, I'm even more excited to see these individual movies.

25. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    I like your attitude :) I hope they don't feel limited to any particular timeframe. There are so many areas to explore without impeding on the Skywalker saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.