main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN 2008 college football thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TAUNTAUN_WE, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garbagge59

garbagge59 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    it's okay. i just wish tiller's last nd game would have ended differently.

2. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    Agree with you Garbage...Tiller is a class act and has done tons for the university

On another note, ND is a good team. Last night I watched a replay of the ND vs. MSU game on Big Ten Network, and call me impressed. I thought ND was a 6-6 team or best 7-5, but I believe 8-4, 9-3 is probably likely.

My Spartans are 27th in the country and have the Hawkeyes in their sites.

Go State

ps. TW I have asked before, ever get back to East Lansing.

3. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm not sure what 'good' you saw from the MSU game. I can only imagine that you expected them to be SO horrible that they exceeded your expectations.

I'd like to say that they have progressively gotten better each game, but it's not true. I know they won the first two games, but if you watched them, it was mostly the other teams playing poorly, rather than ND playing well. They still can't execute the run game. Their running game seems to be spotty, at best. Occasionally I've seen a flash of brilliance in a run play, but in the next game that same RB is ineffective. I'm sure part of this can be attributed to the different plays being called against different defenses, which is really beyond my knowledge of the sport.

The Purdue game did seem to shine some light on what they are capable of, but even Purdue committed errors that Notre Dame took advantage of to come out ahead. It's hard to judge the talent of this team due to the weak schedule this year. I remember last year when we got beat by Georgia Tech, and people were saying it was because GT was such a good team... then as the season went on, GT was proven to be weak.

Yes, ND may finish the season at 9-3, but that won't mean much. And if we do finish well, we'll get thrown into a bowl game against a vastly superior opponent, and lose, as history has shown. This season will end with two losses, against USC, and then the bowl game.

I'm still chalking this up to a rebuilding year. Get the freshmen and sophomores some time on the field winning and learning, so they can come back next year stronger, faster, and with more confidence in their abilities as a team.

4. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    I think it is very likely that ND will play in a major bowl game this year, given their weak schedule. The bowls have virtually no choice but to take ND when they are eligible, given their popularity and ability to put butts in seats and in front of tv's. But they are not ready for a BCS bowl yet, and imagine if they have to play the second-place team in the SEC or Big 12. They would get destroyed.

Agreed. Another year or two and they might be on to something, in fact I have already started to worry about next year's ND-MSU game (I think both Ringer and Hoyer graduate this year). But if these youngsters don't pan out, I have to think Charlie will be done and the rebuilding will start yet again. I hear Lane Kiffin is looking for a job!

EDIT - PS, VIO - I was at MSU this past May. Loaded up on Spartan gear and basked in the fond memories! Also saw the Chemistry building!

5. ToneLoc

ToneLoc Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    It's crazy, we have some many offensive weapons. Defense is pretty good, and special teams is awesome.

GO IRISH beat the Tree's

6. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    I am going with my family this weekend to the land of milk and honey, the whole crew is going to the MSU vs. Iowa game. My youngest Evan, it will be his first game and I am pumped. Go State

Mav....Irish are getting better. We know Charlie can win games the question over the next few years will be how far can he take them.

7. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002

I'll be watching for you on TV, we are organizing a small watch party with other Spartan alumni - yes, there are others all the way out here!

8. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    Spartans are ranked, and so are the Tar Heels. My favorite ranked team is the Ball St. Cardinals.

They look tough this year.

The Irish have a tough match this weekend against the 24 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels. Butch Davis has really improved his team. They killed UConn (Zach Frazier, former ND Football Player), I think he was picked 4 times.

9. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I have this game down as one of our 4 losses for the year.

Just to put it out here, I'm gonna predict...

Notre Dame 17
    UNC 28

10. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Wow, that prediction was eerily close

:eek:

11. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    ND did some good things in the first half, but in the second half, UNC's defense really showed up.

12. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    Once again, I continue to see the Irish improving, I will stand firm on 8-4 or 9-3, Gator Bowl for the Irish.

As for my Spartans, I am Giddy right now, walking about a foot off the ground. Can't wait till Saturday and will be at the game.

Go State.

13. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    You are going back for a second game? I am GREEN with envy (also WHITE with envy).

[face_laugh]

14. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    Nice Green and White, actually I am going to the next 3 home games and there is a rumor that I might go to PSU game in November, but trying to keep my head screwed on straight

By the way Hoops kicks off this weekend, Midnight Madness on Friday

15. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    I have actually attended a midnight madness once,

what a surprise at the time, I had no idea,

when they kept playing (practicing) after 1-am,
    I left.

no idea how late the madness actually goes.

16. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    Thank god for a bye week. At least we didn't lose to Toledo.. Are they division II?

17. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    No they are a MAC team. Unfortunately MSU has experience losing to teams in that conference (back-to-back losses against Central Michigan in 1991 and 1992, ugh).

18. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    Ahh TW lets not comment on ancient history, lets look to the current and the future. Life is good in East Lansing.

19. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    UDUB vs ND...How many points will be scored in this game?

20. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I hope that we can put the final nail in Illingham's coffin this weekend.

Prediction:
    34-6 ND

21. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    The report from Bloomington, IN.

IU Home-coming parade and pep rally cancelled,

due to.......

well, as far as I can tell, due to partly sunny skys,
    and a cool breeze but, early in the morning it was raining, wonder if the game
    is still on for tomorrow[face_laugh]

NorthWestern doen's stand a chance!

22. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    big upset down in Bloomington, IN....they still have a chance at a bowl bid...

23. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005

Amazing but true,

as everyone seemed to be wondering around asking,

what happened!

Oh well, very nice of North Western to come to our home-comming
    with such a nice present as a football game victory,
    as they seemed most eager to give IU the football (many turnovers:)

24. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    News today that Ty Willingham will be leaving Washington at the end of the season.

25. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    Yeah, the ND Game put the nail in his coffin. I liked Ty, but its a business. He shouldn't had went after the JC Player during his first year of recruiting. I think that sunk his ship from the start.

I saw former ND Defensive Coordinator Rick Minter on TV last night coaching for Marshall Herds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.