main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

30 Somethings - The First Star Wars Generation?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by crashdown, Nov 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resnictem

resnictem Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 3, 1999
    I was 10 in 1977. I had seen the television ads first. Two images stand out in my mind, one, Luke rolling around on the ground to avoid the sand person's hitting him with the gaff stick, and Luke holding a blue lightsabre in front of his face. IMHO, maybe 9 and up year olds should be considered the 1st Gen. Old enough to follow along and not see anything like it before, but young enough to have a lasting impact.

2. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    I'm a young'un (a mere 29 years old) and yes, the twin suns do still get to me and have done since I first watched Star Wars. Another thing that does is the purge of the Jedi in ROTS. I still remember my husbands face in the cinema in may with a tear in his eye at that bit. I prefer the original trilogy because they ARE Star Wars and as I see it, the latest 3 are good films but not quite in the same league. By the way, I hope to see some of you in july at Earls Court. [:D]

3. crashdown

crashdown Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Whats Earls Court?

4. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ...Earls Court is a large event venue in London, UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earls_Court

There will soon be an event called the London Film and Comic Con held there.

http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/

Its a large event and there will be people from the Fan Force UK going to it. Likely, a lot of us 'thirty somethings'. [face_dancing]

5. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Why can't they have that kind of thing where I'm from....Oregon, USA? They sometimes have big events like that in California, but that's a bit far to drive.

6. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Here's another topic I've been thinking about related to 30 somethings.

I've noticed that most active Fan Force Communities are generally run by 30 somethings. In my local Fan Force here in Oregon, the fan force was generally not that active when most of the members were 20 somethings and younger. But now that there are more 30 somethings posting, the fan force seems to have come alive, and we actually just had a meeting.

I'm thinking that the reason is mainly because 30 somethings tend to be more organized and have more predictable schedules (i.e. working 8 to 5, therefore have meetings in evenings or weekends). Where younger members schedules are more random and it's harder to organize a meeting when everyone can come to.

But it may also be that 30 somethings are just more motivated to do star wars activities.

A third idea would be that 30 somethings are so desperate to make friends that they will do anything to meet people [face_laugh]. I never had trouble making friends when I was younger and in school.

Any ideas?:confused:

7. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    while our group has many diverse ages.. from teens to fifties.. I myself am 38.. so yes.. I would say the thirty somethings tend to do a better job of being able to organize then the twentysomethings and under.. it just comes with age and experience.. please no one reading this crown me over the head.. but honestly.. when I was in my teens and early twenties.. no way on earth could I organize the events I have in my thirties.. just would not have had the experience to do it. Also as a thirtysomething.. I feel okay delagating.. before my thirties I did not feel okay asking others for help.. I just attempted to always do it all myself.. and no one can do everying by themselves.. but I was just young enough to think I could.. and a lot of ideas got tossed by the wayside before they ever got off the ground due to my thinking that way. In any case.. I agree with what you said.

8. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    Just last week I turned 38 years old. And I realized that we may have to change the title of this thread to "40 somethings". Man, are we getting old. In just another year ANH will be 30 years old.

9. crashdown

Nov 6, 2003
    In just 68 more days the Original "Unaltered" Trilogy will come out on DVD. Yaaaaaaassssss!!! This should make us old timers very happy!:D

10. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I'm 40 in a couple of weeks, and yes a first generation SW Fan......I was 11 when I stood in line to see ANH......and have not looked back.

11. aubrie_darkjedi

aubrie_darkjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    I AM 60!!!!!.....no not really ....not even close! still in grade school[face_dancing]

12. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm 32, and I never saw SW in the cinema when it first came out - I would have been 4 anyways. But I do remember quite well having a trip to the Anglesey (Ynys Mon), Wales, and getting a ROTJ sticker playset (Sarlacc Pit) from a newsagent, I played with that till it was old and battered lol. I saw one on ebay recently, nearly got it too!

Something to think about the 30-something generation, especially from my experience in the UK. Most of my friends weren't into Star Wars, so I was alone in my hobby, this was pre-internet days. I have friends who are not SW fans, but SW is a big hobby, so we all have a human need to talk about what we love, to people who are actually interested. SW for me is on so many levels, and my love of world mythology has spread into being interested in SW lore, and as well as being a huge fan of the Dark Horse Comics' Star Wars series, when the web became big I specifically searched out SW fans, likeminded people. I got lucky on both the DHC forums and more recently here, and you know what? The people on here are good people, and I think it's excellent that we can all meet up, share our hobby but also share social time together, and that's why I love Fan Force, it has brought so many people together. I always thought the UK was so very different than the US (I was linked to the NYC FF through a gf), that our hobby was frowned upon. I so disliked being labelled geek or nerd by the ignorant who think themselves better than us, while in the US Star Wars fans hold "geek" as a label of great merit. I don't think I'll ever go that far myself, but I just love the community that has been built, and if I can keep the Fan Force active and fun in the UK for some time to come, then I'll be a happy 30+ year old lol.

This is a few of our crew (Fan Force UK: London and North) at the London Film and Comic Con, I'm in the middle.
    [image=http://www.timbolton.freeserve.co.uk/FFUK_LFCC/lfcc_july0102_2006_04.jpg]

13. BobaFett22

BobaFett22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2005
    I'm turning 31 in September. I did not see Star Wars in the theatre because I was just two years old, but I remember clearly seeing ROTJ in the theatre. It did help shape my life. It was an event, not just a movie! I remember playing with Star Wars action figures with a friend I had when I was no older than 7 or 8. The OT will always be the ultimate in my eyes. I'm very nostalgic nowadays, perhaps because I just recently turned 30. I miss the awe I had waiting in line to see ROTJ, or for the Star Wars toy that might be under the tree that Christmas morning. I hope there is another re-release of the OT in theatres soon again!

14. CorellianCounselor

CorellianCounselor Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2006
    I'm 32 years old and was 4 (can you believe it) when I first saw ANH. The opening scene when the Star Destroyer flies over Tatoonie just blew me away. Unfortunately it's the only memory I have of seeing the movie in the theater, however, I have never forgotten the impact that moment had on me. From that point on I have been a true SW fanatic! Instead of getting the coveted "girl gifts" on my Birthday, I got action figures (kudos to Dad for winning that battle with my mom)and my very own lightsaber on my 30th B-day! Like some of the other messages posted, I will always love the OT because it was like nothing I'd ever seen before. While I truly enjoyed the prequels they didn't invoke th same feelings I had when watching the OT. I'm excited to see the rerelease of the OT on DVD in Sept. I liked it better when Han shoots first!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.