main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ A change of codes

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Chansplace, Oct 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    After seeing the new Lord of the rings toys at the warehouse, I impulsively bought a Gandalf figure. I've gone LOTR mad and I have decided to begin collecting Lord of the Rings figures.

This kind of thing seems to happen when there are no star wars figures to buy, something else pops up and says 'buy me'.
    this time its a little different.

many questions suddenly arise:

Should I collect them all?
    [face_devil] [conscience] yes.

where will I put them?
    [face_devil] [conscience] you will find space.

should I continue to collect star wars figures?
    [face_devil] [conscience] no.

WHAT?

[face_devil] [conscience] you already have too much star wars stuff. the next wave of figures are just re-sculps anyway. So what if you can see vaders skull or take lukes helmet off? SW figs retail at $15-20 each, whereas LOTR figures are twice the size, retail at $19-20 and have cool light up accessories!
    (but you still want to buy tessek and amanaman when they come out.)

someone, please talk some sense into me. :_|

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You will collect LOTR as the movie will be out in 2 months.

Then when AOTC arrives a year later, you will make up for lost time by buying all the AOTC figures, and then realise the error of your ways - get on another Star Wars Binge - and pay inflated prices for all the figures you missed in the interim.

Think of all the money you will save if you continue to buy SW right through to AOOTC ;)

3. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    wow, so true. those are indeed wise words JP-30.

4. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Star Wars figures have been going for over 20 years, and are still being produced (even if we have trouble getting them). They come in 3 3/4", 12" and electronic versions, not to mention Lego minifigs. Star Wars also has a huge range of merchandise to spend you money on: books, magazines, lunchboxes, towels, pillow cases, pencil cases, stickers, cards, ...

LotR figures have just started, come in only one scale (so far) and may not last much past the third movie release. PLUS, there's smaller knock-offs on the Warehouse shelves that were already released weeks ago.

Remember:
    "Star Wars is for Life, not just the summer!"

:D

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I've been bitten by the SW lego range. I haven't bought any of the new figures over the last, what, 5 years?

I did get a few for gifts (speeder bike, plus Boba Fett vs IG88). And swapped some stuff with someone in the US for the "Ghost Ben" figure.

I still (very rarely) buy original figures from 2nd hand stores - I have about 80, inluding Jabba, Max Rebo band, Anakin Skywalker (RotJ), and a bunch of original 3.25" scale vehicles - sandspeeder, Falcon, At-St etc. As I got most of these when I was a kid, they're all well played with.

My point? None really, other than I collect original figures over these new ones, and my "toy" money these days goes on SW Lego and Lucasarts PC games.

6. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Screw it, i'm off to the warehouse to get some LOTR toys. :D :D

7. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i will only by a figure of the old gaffer, and perhaps wormtongue

8. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Oh no!

If SWNZ is buying LotR, what hope do the rest of us have. :(

9. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Would this be a good time to admit I've never read Lord of the Rings?

I'm trying, oh God, how I am trying. I'm halfway through Fellowship. Give me another few years.

I have read the Hobbit, however.

10. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Those figures are terrible the only thing lotr wise i would by would be some of the minitures made by gamesworkshop (makers of the kick bum game warhammer40K) for the lotr miniture battle game manly the black guys on horses with no heads they will be awsome to paint by one or two like me and dbz figs and just get the ones of the cool characters.

Speaking of the warehouse invercargill had about 20 peg warmer anh commtech pegwarmers now thereis only two this must of happaned cause kids saw sw and brought them maybe invercargill warehouse will get some new stuff finaly.

11. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    buy one of those illustrated encylopedias of LOTR, that might stimulate your interest

12. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    just finished ROTK last night. the wait for the movie begins!

Its funny how collecting binges work in phases. My collection is mainly action figures, but I've still got other stuff that I just had to have.

It's funny cos I used to be really into lego,
    but since the SW lego came out I've only bought a couple of sets. I guess the only thing that interests me is the minifigs, cos I have enough pieces lying around to make my own vehicles.

the other factor is that I've been collecting action figures for years, I was a completist once and had to buy every figure, including every exclusive. I managed to pick up some cool pieces from overseas, ie. POTF Rebo band, Darktrooper, mynock hunt, but this got too expensive so I finally settled for what I could buy in NZ. I had a 'Vintage' collecting binge once, as a result I have nearly all the original figures.

Since then I've been on other toy collecting binges (mostly when SW dried up): Transformers, Masters of the Universe, MASK, and now LOTR.

13. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Yep, shipping from overseas is a killer. I only get what I can from here in NZ, but that includes some figures I get from people like you selling duplicates, etc. :)

I must admit that I have sometimes thought of selling the whole lot and just concentrating on the books, movies, etc. - especially since we miss out on quite a bit. BUT TV3 have put a stop to those "Dark Side" thoughts for now. :)

The Lego is WAY too expensive and I don't really like the "blocky" look the models obviously have, but I too would love to get all the minifigs.

I haven't really bothered with any other toys - although I did look twice at the Donkey Kong Kart figures a while back and I have bought the recent small Thunderbirds ships. I'm still pondering about the Thunderbirds 12" figures and the bigger playsets, but probably won't (unless they're on sale).

14. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I got the thunderbird 2 keyring last week.
    I promised myself it wouldnt get out of hand, but my girlfriend said she'd get me the collectors set for christmas. I didnt complain at all.

15. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    I bought the Thunderbirds vehicles separately - then a week later they put the boxed set on the shelves. :(

16. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    My dads got a full set of the matchbox die cast ones that came out in 1992 with tracy island and the box set as well as them single carded hes a tb nut he only brought one of the new ones which was tb5 cause matchbox never brang out one.

I also collect transformers and dbz figures so if u know about any give me a yell.

17. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    i recieved "The Hobbit" for my birthday last year (20th december) which i was VERY happy about, then 5 days later i recieve the "Lord of the Rings" Trilogy. I was both happy :) and sad :( i have never been one to read books, and never of anything like these MONSTERS.

i read The Hobbit within a few weeks (which is quite fast for me) and my goal for this year was to read "The Fellowship of the Ring" by December, just in time for the movie. To my surprise, i have recently completed "The Two Towers" and while being overwhelmed by this incredible story J.R.R Tolkien, i am also amazed at my ability to read two MONSTER novels in 9 months (shut up all you laughing at my slow reading abilities hehe :D - i read a book, at the pace i would read it out loud, i enjoy these books and want to get as much out of them first time, so i do not "skim".)

anyway, i just finished "The Two Towers" and am really excited about the final 2 books (as there are two books per novel) and at the same time very disapponited as i am a few weekks away from Bursary Exams and would love to continue with this amazing story while its still freash in my mind. but i guess ill have to let it go ... for now.

i read The Hobbit first (as you should as it was written first and begins it all, and i was hooked.

i have not seen any LOTR figures at the Warehouse i, sadly, work at (not for much longer though - yippie) which warehouses have you seen these figures at?

im talking bout Lincoln Rd Warehouse in West Auckalnd.

18. Humble extra

Jun 12, 1999
    hobbit is definately the easiest to read, and the first part of LOTR is the hardest/slowest IMO

19. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    hmmmm

i loved the suspence and "fear" of the black shadows (ringwraiths) when they left the shire - that was the best part of Thw fellowship of the ring - and when they were almost at Rivendale when ganddolf "washed them away"

but the best part of the two towers - the battle at Helms deap - awesome - cant wait to see that on the big screen.

20. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    > i have not seen any LOTR figures at the Warehouse
    > i, sadly, work at (not for much longer though
    > - yippie) which warehouses have you seen these
    > figures at?
    >
    > im talking bout Lincoln Rd Warehouse in West Auckalnd.

Working at the Warehouse!! Lucky sod, that's a dream job - just imagine all the cheapo toys you SHOULD be able to get AND first pick of new arrivals!! :)
    (I don't know if Warehouse employees get such "perks of the job" though.)

I've seen the many LotR figures at all the Warehouse banches on the North Shore (Auckland), so they should be at all branches. They're bigger than Star Wars figures and come in boxes that are sort of like larger versions of the Boba Fett 300th figure.

21. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    lol, i quit - my final day of work is this friday! but mum works at the westgate warehouse - so i can still get 15% discount on products - hehehehe - i just get her to buy me the goods! :p

22. Norrad_Roff

Norrad_Roff Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2001
    I've seen the LOTR figs, and I think that they're pretty cool.

However, my first and only obsession is SW figures. I stick to SW and only SW.

Good luck with your 'new' collection.

23. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    Yep. I know what that's like. :D

My Mum works for a book publisher and she gets 50% off their books (or even free for slightly damaged or old stock) - pity they don't do the Star Wars novels though.

She can sometimes get 25% of most other publisher's books too.

Now, if these companies stopped employee perks and competition giveaways, we could all save a little money on the end product. :)

24. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I got the Hobbit on CD from a friend of mine, its so much better llistening to the story rather than having to read it :)

Ace, I know a TF collector in Invercargill who calls himself Ironhide, says he knows you! anyway, picked up some mini tfs at the market yesterday, Powerglide, Pipes, Seaspray and some micromasters. If I find any doubles, I'll let you know.

I'd love to work at the warehouse, or even whitcoulls. I'd be able to take home all the promos and store displays!

25. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Well I did it, I bought the last Gandalf and last Frodo in Welly TW and I have ordered a A Stryder which never turned up. I think they are pretty cool figures and well worth the price considering they are twice the size of star wars. Until EP2 figs come out i'm mowing the lawns on the other side of the fence.
    I'm currently half way through the two towers of LOtR, I put it down a while ago and haven't picked it back up but I might just have to do that now.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.