main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Midwest Star Wars Convention

Discussion in 'Archive: Lincoln, NE' started by jedihexer, Aug 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002

Dear Fellow Star Wars Fans,

My name is Eric Larson. I am the President of the Wisconsin Fan Force Group.

The reason I am writing is to invite your club to Wisconsin in November! Every year since 1985 we have had a media convention. Two years ago, I created a new con called FilmCon. It's purpose was to teach film making to fans interested in the genre of indie films. Since it began we have grown about 200%. We still keep it small, around 200-250 people each year.

We also do something special each year, by picking a topic or film to highlight. This year I picked Star Wars...to help celebrate it's 25 year!

The convention is held in Madison, Wisconsin. November 15th-17th. From noon Friday until 4 PM Sunday. This is also a charity convention. ALL money made above the cost of running the convention goes to a Breast Cancer charity we have helped out for the past 2 years.

I am writing to all Midwest chapters to see if anyone is interested in attending. Already fans from Chicago's and Minnesota's Fan Force have registered. My hope is to have enough Fan Force members from around the area meet up and introduce the different clubs to one another at the convention. There will be a special time and room set aside so ALL groups can meet and interact during the convention. As far as I know this would be one of the 1st times a big Midwest meeting would be held.

There are 3 tracks of programming this year. Film making/ Star Wars/ and Multi-Media.

The film making panels are just that. We teach everything from blue screen shooting and make-up to advanced 3d modeling on computers...Maya and 3D Max will be represented this year. DISCREET computer software will have their lead artist on hand all day Saturday and Sunday to give lectures and demo's on the companies new programs. This along with practical seminars on budgets, storyboarding and design.

Track two is just Star Wars...Everything and anything. From costume panels and prop making, to introducing gaming and fanzines. As much will be covered as possible in three days. This includes a 2 seminar class on light saber techniques taught by several professional fencing instructors.( These classes are held on Saturday, and must be signed up for in advance.)

Track 3 is Muti-media. From Trek to Galactica...Sci-Fi Channel to other films...everything that is not Star Wars will be covered. Including a large discussion on Lord of the Rings!

If you are interested in panels and want to participate: Please let us know, and on what topic you would like to talk about.

Our guests are truly fun this year. Dr. David West Reynold's. A lecturer, veteran of field expeditions on three continents and author of scientific archeological publications. He has written X-Wing& TIE Fighter pocket guides along with the star wars Visual Dictionaries and the Star Wars and Phantom Menace cutaway books. He is currently at work on a new book about the light saber and it's history. The Dr. will be leading panel discussions on "the Archeology of Star Wars"- the locations from the original SW film, and the archives. He will also discuss his new book about NASA. (He will be autographing his books.)

Paul Topolos a matte and storyboard artist for Pixar. He has also worked for Lucasarts as the designer of Rouge Leader for the X Box and Rouge Squadron, Racer, Grim Fandango, Obi Wan and Shadows of the Empire. But what makes Paul so interesting is his latest achievement. Not only did he help storyboard both episode 1 & 2, he is the matte artist and designer for the AOTC?s DVD...due out the same week as the convention! Paul will be on hand to discuss everything you want to know about the film and his work on the disc. (This is the only convention anyone from the DVD design team will be attending-and will sign autographs.)

Derek Smith is also and artist and designer. He has worked on the ?Wildlife of Star Wars? book and is currently working at Raven Software, the makers of Jedi Outcast.

Also The Great Lukeski will be entertaining the convention with his famous tunes.

We also have a GRE

2. Wookiee_Cushion

Wookiee_Cushion Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2002
    Scratch. Chew tobacco. Scratch again. Spit said tobacco. Wind up. And here's the pitch....!

As a presenter and spectator of the first two FilmCons, I highly recommend attendence to this event! Eric definitely knows how to put on a show that appeals to many people - from sci-fi fans to film makers. I tend to indulge, and have taken advantage of every aspect of this convention in the past - from participating in the costume contest to talking one-on-one with the guests about their techniques and experiences. The enthusiasm and eagerness among those present is infectous - from the speakers to the bystanders. In fact, the FilmCons of the past are some of the best conventions I've ever been to - it's smaller size allows more time and attention from the guests, and discussion and fun time among those attending. Anyways, before I spend all of my two cents, please consider coming to this Con! For a mere $25, you purchase one hell of an entertaining and inspiring weekend...

I hope to see some of you there! I certainly will be, but it is my duty to throw the best hotel room party possible. Such is my path. Let our destinys entwine over salty snacks and boxed wine

3. jedinan

jedinan Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    Doin the Bump! This little con is great. If you are a fan-you really should go!

Cheers*

JediNan

4. jedinan

jedinan Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    Hi People,
    Eric wanted this sent around. He is having trouble with his email system. So I'm delivering the message. If you have questions write to Eric, at- filmcon@earthlink.net.

JediNan

1. If you plan on attending FilmCon, the first 100 attendee's will get a
    special laminated con badge with lanyard.

2. We have room still, but I do want to let people know this. The more
    people that sign up early, the easier it will be to plan the convention.
    Even with 200+ people, it is a large task.
    So if you are considering coming, please let me know. If you have questions
    write to me at the filmcon website.

5. Wookiee_Cushion

Wookiee_Cushion Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2002
    Commence the countdown sequence, because FilmCon is a less than two months away...!

As the time before it decreases, the attendance increases, so make sure to sign up A.S.A.P.! What are you waiting for? Do yourself a favor, and don't miss out on this truly unique experience. I cannot praise this convention enough - so all that I can suggest is that you sign up, and see for yourself. With all of the guests, seminars, events, and, of course, parties - having a great time is guaranteed!

For updated information on the convention, or to register on-line, go to www.filmcon.com

6. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    We need your help, guys! This could be the last year for FilmCon unless more people pre-register. The problem is that the hotel is getting picky about handling the fees for the conference rooms. They want all the money up front, but we can't do that unless more people pre-register.

There is no other convention like this. Nowhere else can you get storyboarding lessons from a real Star Wars storyboard artist, have brunch with authors of Star Wars books, and learn how to make your own fan film, all for only $25 for the whole weekend! What's more, because it's a small convention there are no lines to get through before each event, unlike *ahem* certain other conventions. ;) It's like Gen Con's early days!

We're trying to organize this as a Fan Force event, in the same vein as Celebration, focusing on independent filmmaking. I've received word that Joshua Griffin is planning to be there. Twenty members of the Rebel Legion and the 501st will be there. There will be room parties and plenty of other opportunities for Fan Force members from around the Midwest to get to know each other. So please register! I want to meet you guys! :)

7. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    As I said in the original reply-PM to ever PMed me about this.....I don't think any of the Lincoln members can attend. At least three are in highschool, and at least one or two are in college.

Sorry. :(

8. Arwen_Evenstar

Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Yeah, what Liz said :( I'm in highschool so there's no way I could do this. I so wish I could!

9. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Yep, I'm bound by academics. :( I really wish I was able to go though.

10. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    The official itinerary has just been uploaded. You may start planning your weekend now. :)

11. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    darn! I wish I could go! Writing fanfiction, trivia, books and comics, it all sounds great.....but I can't go. :(

12. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I dare to hope. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.