main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Precious Gift

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Anakin Starkiller, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    I wonder if Padme really knew the value of the simple Japor Snippet that Anakin carved for her and gave as a gift.

Anakin had to leave nearly all his possessions behind (just what did he put in that backpack?) when he left Tatooine, among what he took was this small piece of wood, and that he gave as a gift.

I think that little piece of wood was probably the most precious thing young Anakin had ever owned. Sure he built a droid and a podracer out of stuff he found laying around, but how many TREES have you seen on Tatooine?

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    13-14 yrs later. Anakin is a cyborg black knight samurai with a life support suit, robot breathing, and James earl jones voice. His face is all bald and burned and ugly. He's surrounded by soldiers. Luke skywalker and princess leia are born. A decade ago, anakin was a cute innocent kid. Padme now carries her necklace that young anakin at her funeral. The galaxy is plunged in darkness, with a new hope still there.

I cried at that part. It was so sad.

3. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I always thought it was made out of some sort of animal bone -- in the same way that we use ivory (which is really the dentine of tusks and horns of animals) for jewelry.

I would say, though, that the japor snippet was probably dear to him and it symbolizes his goodness and innocence which he entrusts to Padmé and is buried with her when he becomes Darth Vader.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    Well according to Wookieepedia, the material is "Japor ivory wood" we know from KOTOR, and Dawn of the Jedi, that before the Rakatta came to Tattooine, it was lush. Perhaps Japor comes from buried ancient trees that have taken on the characteristics of ivory over the millennia that have passed. Even still, wood on a desert planet would be a precious luxury.

5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Anakin Starkiller

I don't really follow EU, but I prefer to think of it as some kind of animal bone. It makes more sense to me -- Anakin is a slave, so I doubt he would have access to wood on Tatooine even if he wanted to give Padmé a precious gift. Plus, the snippet doesn't appear to degrade or discolor in any way after over a decade, leading me to believe it's not wood, especially since Anakin would likely not have been able to apply any kind of finishing to the snippet.

6. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I don't get the symbolism in padme being buried with the necklace that young innocent, cute, anakin, gave her. The same time that he became Cyborg Samurai Vader, and Luke and leia were born, and the empire had all those creepy soldiers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.