main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A return to the Bantam Style

Discussion in 'Literature' started by newdawn12, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That, more Imperial stuff, Chiss, Droma, The Ssi-Ruuk, more Yuuzhan Vong centered books, the people of any planet etc.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    More Empire and Chiss yes. Droma I can take or leave. Vong just aren't interesting to me pre-TUF, post-TUF? They go way up!

Other stuff: A'Baht versus the Vong at Dornea. Military fleet stories, Rogue and Wraith Squadrons - not just their one-off in EL duology.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    More Pash Crackan, Juder Page, Wes Janson with the Yellow Aces etc. the Wraiths that stayed behind on Coruscant, more Shamed Ones stuff would be great imo. More Vergere stuff, more Kre'fey, Sovv and whatever else.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I could go with most of that - don't care about the Shamed Ones though.

Remember - I'm NOT a fan of NJO either! If I'm saying this - and I am - then surely there's an untapped market.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    More Shamed One's stuff would be great imo.
    I'm going to have to watch Deep Space Nine and the Dominion War.
    For the first series after YJK I would have the villain be some threat from the Unknown Regions. The Vong will come later. There will be hints of them, they will be the ones that caused the UR threat to go into the galaxy. We will see the Ssi-Ruuk, Yvetha, Thrackan, Lumiya, Daala, Blackhole and whoever/whatever else return as well. The tone will be darker than the Bantam books not NJO dark yet. Anakin and the other next Generation will live and then a couple decades later we get the Vong!

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Know what would be the smart move?

Still have Vong show up but rather than have them as THE threat from the Unknown Regions, they are but one of many! Not that it's a new idea but it remains a good one!

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think Dark Empire did superweapons very well. Besides the above, the World Devastators and (to a lesser extent) Galaxy Gun were far more unique than the typical Death Star/Sun Crusher type thing. Not to mention both are based in the realm of reason - the World Devastators are Von Neumann devices, and the Galaxy Gun is simply a faster-than-light scale kinetic energy weapon.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That could be fun. One threat goes after the New Republic, one goes after the Empire, another goes after the Chiss, another the Hutts, another the Tion Hegemony or the Corporate Sector and so and so forth and they all wage war on each other.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I like the sound of that - multiple wars and shifting alliances simultaneously.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The only question is how long should it hypothetically last? Don't want to make it too short but how long is too long? A year is too short but if those guys are the new threat they will have to last awhile.

11. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I could envision a bunch of factions getting into a Game of Thrones style scrap, though written more farcically and the Jedi are caught in the middle running around trying to clean up their messes and figure out a way to stop these idiots from killing eachother.

We need more stories with a partially comedic tone going on. I'd actually like the constant galactic level crises if they didn't take themselves so deadly serious all the damn time.

On the superweapon tack, what if some wacko started trying to merge Yuuzhan Vong tech with machinery? That could be scary enough to make the galaxy piddle it's pants without requiring the weapons to do a ton of damage first.

Gamiel likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Pure awesome!

13. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    How about just all Yuuzhan Vong, all the time???

14. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013

Because Del Rey's post-NJO assumptions regarding the fanbase being sick to death of Vong are in dire need of validation, am I right?

15. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    I mean considering we haven't had a Yuuzhan Vong story in a decade. It's time to bring them out of the Disney Vault so to say.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Legacy, Mercy Kill and Invasion say hello

17. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    Legacy's Yuuzhan Vong presence is vastly overrated. Same with Mercy Kill. Invasion didn't even have an ending it got cancelled.

I'm talking about a YV Novel with them as the subject once more.

18. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I had always envisioned the Yuuzhan Vong that left Zonama Sekot doing so to become part of the Jedi order's retinue after the NJO series. They would be naturally drawn toward the Jedi as their redeemers as well as the authority on the Force whom would help them restore their connection to it over time. This is what happened in SW Legacy to some extent, but I thought it would have been neat for Jacen to show up with a Yuuzhan Vong partner after his little journey. They could have done a Gilgamesh and Enkidu type partnership, maybe even make this one of the rare Yuuzhan Vong that had established a connection with the Force and could use it to some to an extent and have Jacen as his mentor.

19. darthjulian777

Nov 28, 2008
    [​IMG]

Congrats. You win Star Wars.

20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004

Woo!

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be awesome!

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No it could not. Starwars was based on the Hidden Fortress, told fromt 2 lowest characters point of view, lost behind enenmy lines. Nothing generic about that.

There was also character development and while the characters themselves my by archetypes there was actual deveolpment in there journeys As it was based on the Hero's Journey by Cambell
    In the Bantam run with the exception of perhaps Mara in Zahn's TTT and HoT and 1 or 2 others the books were basically reset volumes and nothing devolped or learnt and often ignored by other authors.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "The Hero's Journey" by Campbell, is the essence of generic fantasy - basically, it summarizes the tropes.

So- anything based on it, will have some degree of genericness.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For me, the gap between the Vong in TUF and them appearing in Legacy is what makes it work - anything before that is too early.

I think it's pretty accurate to say the fans were tired of the marauding, kill everything, sodomising little bunny rabbits Vong but the Vong post-TUF? There's a lot to explore in terms of rehabilitation but no one cares about that!

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I do