main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Absolute Worst Cliffhangers

Discussion in 'Community' started by I Are The Internets, Jul 11, 2013.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

According to Wikipedia thirteen episodes aired.

I didn't catch it when it came out, but I caught it on DisneyXD.

It was actually pretty good. The animation was a little rough around the edges, but a lot of cartoons are that way early on.

And yeah, the ending was very sudden.

Speaking of cliffhangers and Marvel cartoons.....Wolverine and the X-Men. Surprisingly, despite having Wolverine in the title it was actually pretty good. I didn't bother watching it when it came out, but I caught up later and was shocked that Wolverine didn't completely dominate the show. Actual X-Men and their classic villains were involved. Reminded me of the original X-Men animated series.

The first season involved stopping an apocalyptic future brought on by Master Mold.

By the end of the first season it appeared they succeeded, only to get a vision of the Age of Apocalypse.

Then it got cancelled. Too bad, it looked awesome.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Sylvester Stallone movie, hands down.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    What, do I have to quote him to agree with him or something?

5. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I never saw that particular episode (I only saw like the first three or four), but I read about it online. It sounded as if Marvel's bankruptcy in the late '90s played a factor in the show not getting renewed more than anything.

6. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Stop or My Mod Will Shoot

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm wondering how bad the cliffhanger for The Hobbit: DOS will be? Will there be much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the movie theater? Are people even still interested in seeing this? I haven't really seen any promotional material as of late.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I don't think DOS will be that bad. We KNOW that DOS is the middle passage in a trilogy and will eventually resolved. The bad cliffhangers are the ones that never get resolved.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The year long wait will be bad though for people who are impatient or dying.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Try having to wait three years to find out if Vader was really Luke's father or if Han Solo survived.

That was the worst cliffhanger of any movie in my lifetime.

I'll be waving my cane around at anyone who *****es about cliffhangers in DOS. Go read the book you damn kids.

Mar17swgirl and Sarge like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah and that was before internet too! I just can't fathom what people did before message boards! Did you guys send smoke signals to each other speculating about the next SW film?;)

Sarge likes this.
  12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    No, we just spoke to each other. Face-to-face. A frightening concept, I know.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    And you guys had to play outside too! That must've been very dangerous.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember pretending to be either Luke Skywalker or Princess Leia and role-playing the ANH rescue with a jungle gym as our Death Star.

Dangerous, dangerous times, I tell you.

And listening to all the guys at school talk about computer animation and how awesome Jabba the Hutt looked, and my response was "*yawn* Does Han get out of there alive or not?"

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't start using the internet until about 2003-04 when I was about 12, so I was playing outside and stuff. Cliffhangers were far more unbearable during my Saturday morning cartoons though.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My kids play outside; my oldest even proved how dangerous the jungle gyms are by falling off the top of one and breaking his wrist when he was four.

As far as TV show cliffhangers, it seems to me that they've gotten worse in the days of Internet discussions and DVD box sets, especially season finales. Maybe "worse" isn't the right word...more suspenseful?

17. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Not really. The point was that peace was needed between the humans and the machines. As Cypher demonstrated in the first film, not everyone can and should be freed, because the harsh reality of truth is too unbearable for some people. That's why Neo said that choice was required. Those who wanted to be free, should be freed. Those who wanted to stay, shouldn't be forced out. Humans and machines need each other and that was something that both sides needed to accept. Every time the Architect tried to force the equation to balance, it became unbalanced again. By leaving things alone and letting people have a choice, then a balance of a different sort was established, which is what the Oracle wanted all along. Hence she played a dangerous game with Neo as the catalyst for change. If something bad should happen again, then another Neo will emerge.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well the way you put it, I suppose it makes a little more sense. I just wanted more Matrix movies.

20. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    not just outside - growing up in Queens we played whiffle ball and two-hand touch football in the STREET.!

Back to cliffhangers, I also watched the mother of all cliffhangers when it originally aired - who shot JR is still the gold standard.

Also, since the ESB-ROTJ cliffhanger was mentioned, I vividly remember a non-cliffhanger: this nice little film called Star Wars. Luke destroys the Death Star, he and Han pock up their medals from Princess Leia. The End. Thank you and have a nice day.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't watch the "who shot JR?" cliffhanger but I remember everyone discussing it on the school bus the next day. And the day after that. And the day after that.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger is indeed a great one which is a damn shame since Part II of that episode begins so anti-climactically.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There was no way to get around it other than the weapon didn't work and the Enterprise isn't badly damaged.

24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I thought Locutus' "your resistance is hopeless......number one" was a nice start to the second half.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Anyone remember the FPS PS3 game Resistance 2 back in 2008? Now that was an effective cliffhanger!