main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    About the last person I expected to see sent to the principals office for a potty mouth :p

3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    *shameface*

Although, in real life, I have the mouth of a sailor. :p

eta. but apologies all the same

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

It's cool. Just remember that image macros are also subject to the disallowed words list.

6. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Sounds rather Orwellian.

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
  8. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    What came first? The Brother, or the egg?

9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    If only Jesse Pinkman had been talking to a bunch of female dogs. Then I'd be ok. ;)

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Me too.

Oh wait...that probably doesn't surprise anyone.

And I missed a Breaking Bad meme? Off to google...

krtmd likes this.
  11. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Just finished Before the Storm in my reread of the Black Fleet Trilogy. Holy smokes this book is awesome. President Leia is basically the opposite of the un-politician that she has become in the Del Ray era. All of the fleet action and intelligence games are awesome. Even the Luke and Lando parts are much less boring than I remember.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    My memory of that series was that everyone essentially played with the gloves off. Except Lando and Lobot. Who needed their gloves to do... space archaeology!

BtS was probably the best in the bunch. Er, IMO. Cuz I can't remember the other two as well.

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I mostly remember the middle one because it was like SCREW CHAPTERS I'M WRITING THREE DIFFERENT BOOKS

Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
  14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It worked for Tolkien, namely in The Two Towers, so Kube-McDowell thought why couldn't it work for him as well.

15. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I was of that opinion for a while, then I re-read SoL, and there was so much political-military awesomeness jam-packed into the last third of the book that my opinion of it skyrocketed. And it was nice to be able to skip the Luke bits all in one go.

EDIT: Also Alpha Blue awesomeness, but that goes for all three books. After re-reading the Thrawn Trilogy, I have to applaud K-Mac for making Drayson, just...badass, really.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Because the Tolkien story paths eventually converged?

The whole Fallanassi bit with Luke did pay off (in a deus ex machina sort of way), but the whole Lando thing was a complete dead end.

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    True, Tolkien's stories did eventually converge.

No, Luke's story was functionally a dead end because he never achieved the goal he set out with, and he could have easily end up finding the Fallanassi by different means without the pointless being strung along nonsense. Its true that Lando's story was not really connected to the main plot, but it was an entertaining adventure that worked. I admit that Lando's story probably could have been made into separate novel, but that in no way makes it a dead end.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Black Fleet really is three novels. A so-so war novel that drops the ball hard in the last third, a Lando novel that actually such an awesome call back to the old Lando books it really just misses Gepta, Vuffi and the humor, and then there is the Luke part which reads like a less well thought out version of Children of the Jedi.

19. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I've made the call before, but it was essentially three separate, parallel novels that got reworked into a "trilogy".

But, it was one of the better novels in a sea of some pretty awful ones around that time. I know in the wake of recent novels there's a sort of rose-colored remembrances of the Bantam era, but... I'm sorry, no. I've read through them, and they're no less terrible on reexamination.
    Also, kudos for actually treating the New Republic as something over a decade after Endor political-wise and fleet-wise, even if other authors completely ignored everything that he did.

Edit: And Gorefiend beats me to the "three seperate books" analysis. :p

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I am aware its really three separate novels reworked into a trilogy, and Luke's utterly pointless storyline notwithstanding, its one of my most favorite Star Wars works.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    So-so? It's arguably the best single war story in the EU.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Blaze of Glory and the X-Wing books still have that honor for me. ;) The Yevethas are just such utterly uncompelling villains they feel like they drop in from some other Sci-Fi Setting just so there is someone to get shoot, which is an achievement on it's own, I mean K-Mac really managed to, at the time, create villains I cared less for then Anderson's Imperials, the Charon and the Ssi-ruu. Which is ironic because the few Imperials that show up are at least entertaining in a hammy space pirate way.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    But . . . Nil Spaar! The third-best villain of the entire Bantam era!

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    @Havac: It was also the story that moved Daala from "happily ever after & gone for good" to "back to being an Imperial warlord". (Yes, it was a minor reference that had no impact on the story, but it seems to have been the source of the Essential Chronology story of Daala fleeing the collapse of the Deep Core)

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Thing is, Spaar works until the last part were he just goes into full blow stupid villain mode when he transmits his beating Han up on the Holonet, which given as we know he is kind of smart and knows politics before, is such a stupid move it really just seems to be there to force an ending.

Also how do you get third best in the Bantam era? I mean there is Thrawn, Zsinj, Tavira, Disra and Company, on the "we know what we are doing" end; then there is Isard, Jorus, Nil who go kind of insane, and then there is Daala, Kyp, that Ambassador fellow, Sal-Solo, Hethir, Kueller, Ismaren? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.