main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daala

Daala Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 1999
    Or at least her makeup artist is a SW fan. Solange Vos is a pretty name, though. :)

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    You're right, but she reminded me of the chick who was with Vos that betrayed him while Aayla was on happy juice. What was her name?

Of course, less face paint.

3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Uli (carry over from the old thread), we are two peas in a pod. I partied too much last night and the bro forgot to give me a trashcan. :(

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Asanté Vos?

5. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I did give him some points for making fun of himself on "Robot Chicken".

6. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Yes. Yes I do.[face_tired]

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Yes, that's her!

BTW, did you get my PM about elections?

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Sorry Katana, I should have responded sooner re-the old social thread and Conventions....so I will now:)

The behind the scenes stuff with Dave Prowse was far and away the most interesting. He actually presented about 4 hours worth of panels(a Q & A session and a presentation on his career in film) as well as hosting a special showing of A New Hope containing all of his original dialog instead of James Earl Jones.:)

The most interesting thing I found out about Prowse was how he was replaced during the filming of Return of the Jedi due to a dispute with Lucas. Someone accused him of stealing a ROTJ prop and selling it, which Mr. Prowse denies. One thing lead to another and he got sent home about half way through filming and replaced his stunt double(whom also did some of the Vader work duing ESB).

Mr. Prowse mentioned how he hasn't been paid his percetage of the profits from the film as layed out in his contract. He laughs about this as he says he still gets a letter from Lucasfilm every year regretfully informing him that since ROTJ has yet to show a profit that he will not be paid. He said he's gotten the letter every year since 1983. He mentioned that he had one of the letters framed IIRC.

The prop selling story gets even stranger when one considers that Mr. Prowse was a very wealthy man was before he ever made a Star Wars film. He opened a nation wide chain of body building clubs apparently throughout Britain, capitalizing on his Mr. Britain fame and making him indepedently wealthy way before George Lucas came calling.

Anyway he said he and George made up a while back, I believe in time for the first Star Wars celebration and have since been on good terms, though he still hasn't seen that % of profits from ROTJ [face_laugh]

Another of Dave Prowse's comical tales was about who he got for a refference for his work visa in the Untied States. I believe it was when he was going to film Saving Star Wars, though I could be off on that. Anyway he needed refferences from three American Citizens for his work Visa, so he called up his old body building buddy Arnold, and got his refference on the letterhead of the Governor of California. Dave actually does an excellent Arnold impersonation.:)

Jeremy Bulloch was such an amazing gentleman. He did some live skit acting and did a Q & A session. I handn't realized before that Q & A that he's played a few roles in Star Wars films. I knew about his role in ROTS, but didn't know he also played an Imperial Officer in ESB.

I asked him about the Live Action Star Wars series upcoming from LFL and he said he hasn't been contacted. But he also said that thats what he loves about his business, that he could be on a plane tommorrow and get the call from George at the ranch. Said thats basically what happened for ROTS and thats its very fun never knowing when that phone will ring.

Like Jeremy, Daniel Logan also signed a print for me in Mandalorian.:D Jeremy did the Su'cuy and was actually very interested that a language of sorts had been invented for Boba's people. Daniel was also surprised with the existence of a Mandalorian language and singed my print "Rob. May the Dark Forces be with you ner'vod. Daniel Logan" at my request:D

I got the most personal time with Mr. Logan at Calgary Expo in April. We spent almost 10 minutes chatting, he's a super friendly young fellow who's hoping to get onboard with the live action Star Wars series as well. He's also quite he ladies man and spent some time flirting innocently [face_batting] with my wife. Some of his exact words were "Maria, thats a beautiful name. Where are you from....The Phillipines! I used to have a filipno girlfriend! Filipino girls are the most beautiful women in the world..." yadda, yadda , yadda. He went on for a while like that, smooth talker that he is.:)

Thats just a bit. If you ever do get a chance to go meet these folks I can vouch for what really super people they are and how much they love talking to their fans. Definitly do it i

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I heard about Sheckil on Jeremy's interview with Forcecast. I was really surprised it was him and didn't know.

From all reports, Dave sounds like a guy you could sit down and have a beer with.

But one of the SW celebs I'd like to meet is LaPartmentier, particularly with Motti Now, which Bulloch will be appearing in along with Ken Kolley (Piett), Jerome Blake (Mas Ameeda, Rune Haako, Orn Free Taa) and Garrick Hagon (Biggs)

Thanks by the way, I SO want to go to a con.

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Motti Now looks kinda interesting. I enjoy that type of stuff.

If you haven't and get a chance check out Saving Star Wars(as I mentioned previously). Cute little film with an awesome portrayal of George Lucas. It's camp is a bit over the top at times but its still fun in a lot of ways. Who would have thought George Lucas's security team dress like Agent Smith(Hugo Weaving) from the Matrix:p.

The Wook has an entry here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saving_Star_Wars

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    You can read the script of Motti Now on Richard's website, that's how I managed to get the plot for it

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The eleventh Doctor has been revealed and though I'm sad to see Tennant go, I'm sort of excited by their decision to go with such a young actor, the 26 year old Matt Smith. Even though I've never actually seen anything he's been in, I do love his Time Lord's "look".

Moffat's right when he says that he appears "both young and old".

An interview with him: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bhmWRjo7gKI

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/be/11thdoctor.jpg]
    It's funny. He actually looks a bit like a Nine/Ten hybrid.

I'm also REALLY excited by what Moffat-as-Showrunner means for the series. Really, really, really excited, since he's always seemed to "get it" even more than RTD.

Still, for the twelfth Doctor, Chiwetel Ejiofor all the way. :p

I'm so glad they didn't go with the ridiculous "sex change" idea, though. That would have been horrible.

(Yeah, I expect maybe only two Litizens to care about any of the above. So what? :p)

13. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Haha that was the first thing that came to my mind as well. He does look kinda emo though, I hope he gets a haircut before taking over the role. I think this is the youngest actor we've had playing the Doctor (Peter Davison was 29 when played the role making him second-youngest now). Anyway, I trust Moffat's judgment and while I'm sad to see Tennant go, I know it had to happen eventually.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, youngsters with their new-fangled Doctor Whoses... :p

I would like to say that I'm a little irritated that for years prior to the 'relaunch' I had to basically hide my interest in Doctor Who because every geek I talked to launched into a tirade about its production values and how lame it looked and it didn't explode enough etc. etc.
    And now my gf LOVES the new Doctor Who - although it wasn't just because of David Tennant. ;)

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I still prefer my favourite Doctors, William Hartnell and Tom Baker.

16. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Never seen an episode, sad to say. :( Heard it's good, though.

17. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I've only seen a few, but I have seen a lot of the first series.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You cannot go wrong with:

The Daleks - William Hartnell
    Genesis Of The Daleks - Tom Baker

For an intro to the essence of Doc Who...Then you jump to Eccleston and go on from there!

As for the new guy, hard to say - he could pull it off but 2010 is some time away. Moffat running the show should be good, although I imagine parents are despairing:

Having just got little Timmy over his fear of statues, Mr & Mrs Smith are now having to leave the light on in the bedroom to get him to go to sleep!

;)

19. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Gotta love Tom Baker. "Genesis of the Daleks" was awesome, and I love the whole Key to Time Arc. Peter Davison was also great, and his last story "The Caves of Androzani" was just beautiful.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And of course, the 4th Doctor was where the geekdom convergence of Douglas Adams and Doctor Who met...
    (Ah, late-night local public television - the source for a young boy's British television fix in the 80s)

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Romana FTR

22. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    Heh, the first episode of Doctor Who I ever saw was the pilot episode for the re-launch. On public television.

23. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Same here, I remember the cling wrap ice too ;)

Ex, you about? I haven't seen you in ages.

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Caves of Androzani -- brillaint acting that flushes Baywatch down the toilet . . . which the Ebon Hawk interestingly didn't seem to have. Genesis of the Daleks, The Sun Maker, The Pirate Planet, classic episodes all.

Since seeing the ABC repeats in 2004-5 and realising what Doctor Who is, I'm a massive fan. The new series is simple interstellar. The Sontaran episodes a dream. And if anyone wants to know what in Homer's belching belly DW even is, just watch The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances from season 1 and tell me how Keralys you're not hooked.

I want to read the Vector arc unspoiled, but unless I leave the forum some ding bat dolt will talk freely outside the exclusion zones, as some ding bat dolt usually does. So drop me a PM if anyone's got something to say. Happy new year to all and goodbye .... for now!

25. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I don't mind being spoiled for the simple reason I don't find out things any other way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.