main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Admiral Ozzle Wants You!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by haruwindsong, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    For those of you who haven't attended the last two attempts at a formal meeting or the Dim Sun Sunday there is a proposal floating around for us to hold a two (or 2.5) day convention here in Victoria next spring (end-April). Guest of Honour would be Michael Sheard aka Admiral Ozzle (confirmed in principle) and one of the SW authors.

The venue proposed are two of the three Messes at CFB Esquimalt. They have sufficient meeting space plus a superb vista across the straits. Additionally, there are two cafeterias on site that offer a reasonable menu. However, if we are to go through with this we need a few things:

1. Immediately lock in two messes. A check 30 Jun 05 confirmed there is only one available spring weekend (29 Apr 06) for the Senior Non-Commissioned Members' Mess. The Junior Ranks facility is still free. The cost of the venue is free but requires nominal funding for insurance ($200 up front), plus for the use of tables, table cloths, and electronic equipment (DVD player/TV/VCR).

2. We need members who are seriously committed to meeting at least once a month (twice would be better) to generate the format for the convention, plus extra bodies to assist with security, gophering, etc.

3. We have to start NOW. I am already in contact with the Base and have secured a sponsor for the Fleet Club.

I urgently request the Executive please respond to me ASAP so that I know whether or not to go ahead with acquiring sponsors (they have to belong to the messes --- I don't, mine's at the airport) so we can lock down the facilities.

To all other members, lurkers included, your response to this message is extremely important. Recruit (press-gang) your friends into helping out. Membership rates for the convention will probably run between $18 to $25 for the weekend (to cover airfare, meals and accommodations for the guests).

2. TR0773

TR0773 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2003
    I have posted a blurb on the proposed event on the Outerrim site, and will post on the Badlands, Titan, Cloud City, Alberta Jedi Council sites, and Rebel Legion to see what kind of interest or funding we can get for this event. No promises, no refunds, no guarantees!

Randy TR-0773
    CO Outerrim
    http://members.shaw.ca/outerrim/

3. Dango

Dango Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    Another person who yuou could invite as a celebrity guest or whatever would be the concept designer Iain McCaig, who is a native to Victoria as I understand, although I'm not sure if he still lives here. Although I cant promise to commit to anything, I might be able to help out.

4. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Every actor and author we bring in COSTS. Actors have "appearance" fees which must be covered in addition to the standard per dieum (travel, accommodations and meals). In some instances authors also request a nominal fee (generally approx $2000) [face_worried] to cover the time they are off work (remember, writing doesn't pay the bulk of the bills). Mike Sheard is a bonus because we will be including sightseeing in the package: my brother and I will be taking him and his wife around to see the sites at our own expense. This will not be the case for anyone else we bring in.:oops:

I would like to suggest 30 or 31 July for our first meeting. This invitation is an "all points" to EVERYONE concerned, members and lurkers alike. :D Please pass this information along to your friends. I need numbers NO LATER THAN Thursday 28 Jul so I can find us somewhere suitable for the meeting. Our usual watering hole may not be large enough.:confused:

Leave a confirmation message at this site or send me an e-mail at home.;)

Randy, could you please post this to the other applicable sites?[face_praying]

5. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    I've posted on the FF sites from Alberta to Washington with no results, however Badlands sqd, Titan Garrison have offered verbal support to the plan, and the more details we hash out the clearer their stance on participation, Rebel Legion has also been contacted, but their numbers are usually assimilated into the 501 participants due to their small numbers. As far as a meeting place in concerned, perhaps a community center? Esquimalt perhaps, or something closer to downtown, where transit is easier to access.

Randy

6. SabotJune

SabotJune Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2000
    Hmmmmmmmmm. Sounds expensive:(

7. SabotJune

SabotJune Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2000
    I forgot to mention that Ian was here a year or two ago holding a children's art seminar. I wanted to attend, but I had to work that weekend:(

8. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    If we secure two of the Base messing institutes the cost will come in under $10,000. Otherwise we'll be looking at higher and a different venue. This is why I'm pushing so hard to get the initial stages finalised now.

9. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    For the interested parties: I have just received word back from the Messes on Base. The Chief Petty Officers in charge of overseeing all functions have "shot us down" because they apparently don't want to risk offending the downtown merchants!
    That startled me. Why the military should be that concerned with the civilian merchants when a function is being planned, in part, by the military is amazing. Sigh.
    Alright, here's what we need: a volunteer with sufficient time (and preferrably experience) to investigate other possible, relatively inexpensive venues where we can hold this proposed event.
    UVic is the next place to investigate. Any volunteers/interested parties? Please avoid gymnasiums (they smell). If we can find a GOOD community centre, that's another possibility. Remember, we're tied to just how much funding we can raise. We need a minimum of $4000 for the good Admiral, plus another $2500 for an author (that's airfare, food, lodgings and miscellaneous transportation). The facilities are on top of that. Keep in mind we probably won't be able to charge more than $25 adult/$6 child over six (at door) for the two days ($20/$5 pre-registered), with single day passes at-doors prices around $13.00 adult/$7 child. Times that by 300-400 attendees (my previous experience) and you can see why we'll need assistance from the local merchants to pull this off.

10. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    The reson for the C&POs not wanting to offend the merchants is a cop out, they just didn't want you to book cause they think it's beneath them, if nothing else we could have rented tables to the interested local merchants. These con's bring toy/game/book sellers from all over the place as Haru knows well! How bout the rentall of a community hall eg. Esquimalt Rec Center has rooms (price and size of rooms might be unaceptable)

11. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    The reson for the C&POs not wanting to offend the merchants is a cop out, they just didn't want you to book cause they think it's beneath them, if nothing else we could have rented tables to the interested local merchants. These con's bring toy/game/book sellers from all over the place as Haru knows well! How bout the rentall of a community hall eg. JUST AN EXAMPLE Esquimalt Rec Center has rooms, the hotels that cater to conventions, (price and size of rooms might be unaceptable)

I was in Halfax in 02 and one con rented a wing of the hotel for the merchants and other clubs, and then several larger meeting rooms, for art displays/auction, celebrities etc.

Whatever the plan, price might be more attainable if we have local merchant sponsors, willing to donate monetarily, in lieu of some advertising.

I'm probably stating what Haru already knows or has thought of but, I'll keep thinkin!

Randy

12. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Thanks, Randy. An active con goer (WorldCons, NorWesCon, etc) plus someone who worked on the minor bomb three years back I am quite conversant with the monies brought in by the local merchants. I'd rather steer clear of Rec Centres simply because that puts a "bad odour" on the convention from the start (as some of the professionals will tell you). However, if we can rope in one of the UVic Clubs, the rooms up there (according to my brother) run approx $100 per day per room. That's more than in our budget once we factor in leasing tables to local merchants (like the comic shops and local handicrafters" jewellers, etc). There's sufficient room up at UVic.

This is an "all points call" for assistance. Anyone with a contact at UVic please touch base here. I need someone ready, willing and able to touch base with the local merchants as well. We also need to know if the meeting is a GO for the long weekend ASAP. No good making arrangements if only a couple of us show up! If you'd rather meet at a house, I can offer up my home which is on the top end of the Majestic loop in Gordon Head. Come on, guys. Let's show the locals we're not just a bunch of SW nuts. We can offer up a portion of the proceeds (above costs) to a charity. Two years of that and we become a "non-profit organization".

Oh, and Randy: the CPO who responded to my e-mail said he and his peers thought the SF group would pose a potential security hazard! Go figure.

13. Dango

Dango Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    I was just wondering what exactly you planned on having happen at this Con. As in what events did you sort of have planned. I assume there will some sort of presentation by each of our guests, merchant tables, but what about something to do with star wars. I was thinking of some sort of presentation about star wars, maybe the history, or the science of it. Or you could possibly have different displays with things such as: special effects, costumes, history, the making of, the story, collecting, the future of star wars spin offs such as books and tv shows. The only concern with that would be keeping it in the budget. But something interactive might be good, although expensive. You could have videos about something. Or you could show the movies, one on one night, two on the other. I was just wondering exactly what to expect to happen at this con, because I've never been to one before.

14. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    In response to Dango's question Cons can be as complex or as simple depending on all sorts of things.
    The cons in Halifax made use of local artists/writers, merchants, clubs of all kinds, featured a movie room with continuous showings of a TV series or Movies, masquerades and auctions usually go over well. But it depends greatly on space, volunteers, and financial situation of the host... By the way no one told me about a meeting!! When Where, and do I have to throttle Dave? My personal favorites in a couple cons I've been to is the Modelers club showing off their sci fi models they put together, seeing what actually sells at an auction, and a Good costume contest, everyone will have there own preference.
    Also considering Haru is still hunting for a locale, other than the base project, other options are still open to flesh out the con, or so I think yes/no?

Randy

15. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Until we have a suitable location for the venue it is problematic as the size of the programming. Naturally we should offer a Dealers' Hall and possibly a small Art Show area. In addition, there would be a couple of panels with the professionals and fans per day, as well as autographing sessions for the guests (the good Admiral is an author as well as an actor). A limited costume competition/presentation would be nice (ramp rather than stage can be used). Then there is a room for DVDs (the SW animated series, not to mention all six movies). We'll need a Green Room to which the guests can retire if they so desire. If we had sufficient funding to include airfare and insurance I could probably prevail upon Maureen Garrett to attend and bring some of her extensive collection from her years as the President of the original Official Star Wars Fan Club. Mau is a good friend and still lives in San Rafael, CA a short distance from LFL's downtown offices. Insurance is the big problem as the airlines are not exactly gentle with property.

I have received an e-mail from the PSP Base Staff with an offer for us to look over their community centre in Colwood. Randy, are you available? You'll know the sort of space we need. Someone at the Squadron suggested the Edelweiss Club (108 Niagara Street) downtown in the James Bay area. So there are two other possible area. Otherwise we're looking at UVic and then possibly somewhere such as Juan de Fuca. However, keep in mind that once we start looking at community centres the cost goes up appreciably due to insurance. In any event, any venue we select should have several handy restaurants for the fans to use.

16. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    If you are interested in attending a meeting for the proposed Star Wars/SF convention in Victoria, BC please send me an e-mail. Meeting is slated for the afternoon of Sunday 31 July 05.

17. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    I already talked to Haru earlier, and I am in for the meeting, also I have been to the PSP in Colwood and it is not a viable venue, I have also seen Esquimalts pool and meeting area and its safe to say that it too is not viable. Colwood and Langford I would say is to far from the city proper for viable areas as well. Would anyone be against the Chinese School downtown? It has several classrooms we could use as well as a large meeting area on the second floor. There's a parking garage across from the school and lots of shops near it for food, however washroom facilities are limited in the school. Just a suggestion. If I have time in August I still like the idea of a Hotel Con, I could check to see what kind of rooms some of the local hotels have available. I recall a couple local comic conventions were held at one of the hotels near the tourist area behind the Parlament buildings. I'll keep thinkin.

Randy

18. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    The first meeting for the Convention Committee will be held at my place 31 July 2005 at 1300 hours (1:00pm). Contact me directly for instructions on how to get there. Bring a friend/friends. The more the merrier.

19. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    IMPORTANT - PLEASE TAKE NOTE: As an adjunct, more people seem to be able to attend if we hold it in the evening, so I am switching the time to 7:00 pm Sunday evening. Contact me if you are willing to help and I'll give you directions.

Plans are to elect the executive committee and begin serious planning for set-up and advertising, among other important items on the agenda. If you want input into the convention scheduling and/or a position on the committee it's vital you attend this first meeting, especially if you are unfamiliar with the general workings of a convention.

20. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    The first meeting went quite well. The second one is Sunday 07 Aug 05 at 7:00 pm at the same place. If you are interested in attending, you are more than welcome to come. Contact me. Next week we will be meeting at the home of "Imperial side" of the group. Our core group has seven but we definitely do need more people.

21. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    The second meeting also went well. Things are progressing. We have expanded our review of possible venues to include three local hotels, but not the Empress/Convention Centre. FAR TOO expensive a location.

We can still do with additional bodies willing to dive in and help out. Presently there are eight members, with a new on being added next weekend. Next Sunday's meeting will be at Randy's. Dave, could you plse ensure everyone has the appropriate directions? Thanks.

22. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    Right party at my place combined with a BBQ, bring the significant other and or family I have lots of room note. no cats, a dog or two can come but have to stay outside and under Imperial control!! If your a gardener then you'll like my place one of my relatives has a big green thumb, and like to show off the house. I'm personally fond of my game room!

Even if your not interested in the meeting but would like to meet fellow local SW fans you are welcome. The meeting members can converse in one room and when it is done we can rejoin the festivities.

Bring your lightsaber if you wish to duel, I have armor (hockey armor).

I have a copy of Uncle George's presentation of the life time achievment award on VHS if anyone would like to watch during the party, and I have just been planning a party like this all Summer.

I live in Colwood send me PM for directions, if you have access to the Outerrim Group site I'll leave my address there as well.

23. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    Next meeting will be Sunday 21 Aug 05 back at my place. We will then be taking a break until after the 10 Sep 05 event in Vancouver. If you're interested, contact me. We have a core group of seven at the present, plus two other people willing to assist the primaries. We could do with more people willing to work to bring this on line.

'The Admiral' has confirmed and requested I send him a "reminder" closer to the actual date. Meanwhile we are approaching a number of authors. Should attendee interest be sufficient we will consider a professional artist as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.