main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Advanced" 3D

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Ithildin, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ithildin

Ithildin Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2003
    Take a look at this website:
    http://graphics.stanford.edu/~fedkiw/

If you go to the bottom and check out the articles, especially about smoke, fire, and water effects, he provides a lot of information, including equations, etc. But what I wanna know is how is this stuff applied? I'm assuming this kinda stuff can't be done in 3DS Max, but where can it be done??

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    A lot of this sort of thing can be done in 3D Studio Max (for example) - here's a good book that can help get you started on the natural effects.

Hope that helps!

3. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well most of those are research papers.

But what I wanna know is how is this stuff applied? I'm assuming this kinda stuff can't be done in 3DS Max, but where can it be done??

Well you write programs. A research paper is supposed to give enough details for you to create implementations, though in reality most papers (because length limitations) have few details about specific implementation. After all the most important thing is the math, the equations, because you can create an implementation out of it. And you are right, most research papers are things that are not in commercial package, they're the bleeding edge (hence research of course). Eventually they might make it to commercial packages though it might take a couple of years. Of course production studios usually have a staff of programmers hich can implement t as soon as they learn about it, which is why most of the new stuff you usually see first in movies and the like.

Theoritically you could do it yourself. Most packages provide or sell an SDK (softare development kit, usually for C/C++) so you could create an implementation for your specific package via a plugin or a separate app that can interface or export data to your application.

BTW, Fedkiw will present several papers this SIGGRAPH and some of his research will be shown how it was used in Ep. 3.

4. Ravn

Ravn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2004
    omg the cloth.. jesus..the cloth!!!
    that looks real lol

I'm still waiting to see CGI water which I for certain argue is real, but that site have very very nice sample of stuff that comes pretty... pretty close wow

5. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    You'll probably seen CG water in movies without realizing it. Besides the videos on Fedkiw's site are meant to illustrate the research, not pass for 100% real. The motion is more important than the rendering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.