main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR After playing two betas: My thoughts.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthVengeant, Dec 1, 2011.

1. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    (this is complied from a few of my Feedback posts on the SWTOR forum)

Part A:

I have been one to anticipate this game greatly. My dreams coming true of FINALLY being able to be a real true Sith Lord in a game, and not some watered down emo fallen Jedi who's mommy died, was within my grasp. However, I have played two Beta's now.

My thoughts:

Bioware is putting themselves in a restrictive box with the way they have done Saber Limitations, lack of real Customization for your characters look, and the lackluster weapon "mods". If you can really call it "modding". It seems Bioware is worried more about restricting things rather than opening it up and letting the PLAYER choose. This is my first negative after playing two beta's. If I am going to pay a monthly fee for something, then I want creative choice. Not rules on top of rules with cookie cutters forcing me into a restrictive corner.

I choose Sith, but yet I can't pick whatever saber color I want because some misinformed people at Bioware think that Sith and Jedi MUST use certain colors only. Bioware couldn't be more wrong. Neither could the people who vote for it and think it is true. There is no "lore" that demands specific colors be Light or Dark based. Not true at all. Read your Star Wars Comics and Books. Only tradition, and not all Jedi or Sith follow tradition, is where color's fall into play. Yet, the player should be able to choose not to follow tradition if they so desire, just like the characters in the books and comics who chose not to follow it. It is a vast Galaxy after all. Would it be a CRIME to have a Sith who has two green sabers and full black armor? That would look pretty "dark" to me. In fact, that's what I have been wanting to create and play since I can remember, but now I've been told I can't because Bioware thinks there should be rules against it.

One dream, crushed to pieces right there

I can't dye my armor whatever color or colors I want. Negative #2

I can't put new skins/colors on my saber hilt or change it's look. Negative #3

I can't use a color wheel to pick my eye and hair color, I only get a few per-fabricated choices. Negative #4

I can't change my face because I only get a choice of about 12 faces to choose from. Negative # 5

I can't be a Twi'Lek in every class. Why? Negative #6

I can't turn my hood on my armor on or off. Negative #7.

I could go on. But, these things have nearly ruined the game for me. Yes, the story part is great and your personal journey as far as that goes seems well enough. I have enjoyed that. But, personalization as far as look of your characters face/body/hair, armor, and weapons is a MUST, and there really isn't much of that so far in this game.

Mark my words, unless these things are added or at least some of them, within a year of this game's release everyone will be a clone of a clone of a clone standing next to them. You will run around servers seeing 20 of everything. That sounds very uninspired to me.

Part B:

1) Customization and personalization. As it is right now, it is a pathetic and sad joke. Hair, armor, weapons, sabers, and skin ALL need color charts to choose from. Everything needs dye or skins. Face choice needs to be expanded at least triple what is available. I'd say everything needs to be tripled, at least. Color charts added, not being forced to have 5 colors to choose from. This all also includes your Companions. Sorry, but pre-fabricated customization Kits just don't cut it. Bioware could take a look at Guild Wars for some example. (And, please, what is with all the "emo" hair styles")

2) Races being class specific. Why are there not Twi'Leks in every class? This was horribly disappointing. This REALLY needs to be expanded and more races. This needs to be tripled as well.

3) Cantina music/atmosphere. Is there some unwritten law that the only music in Star Wars is forms of jazz? No, there isn't. This needs to be greatly expanded as well, and alignment specific. Having cutsy jazz music in a Sith Academy? Just no. It is a vast universe and has diverse music styles, not just jazz. T

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    You can change the colour of your lightsaber, by replacing the colour crystal.

3. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    Everyone knows that. But there are color restrictions based on light or dark. If you had read what I said you'd know that.

4. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
  5. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    My Consular had a red-bladed lightsaber :p I switched back to my green blade though.

6. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    When I played the game I was refused from choosing certain colors.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Sounds like a lot of shallow criticisms.

8. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I supposed they've already fixed it for you then.

9. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    It's called an opinion. What is not important to one person, is important to another. Calling it "shallow" is rather immature. I don't get why people cant just read and accept another view on something without name calling or insulting them.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Having played it extensively, I can tell you that my initial issues with character creation fell away once I started to play.

Did I run into clones of me? I think I saw one on Coruscant. Should there be more customization in the future? Yes. Is this a game breaking issue? I don't think so. I don't need a bunch of face sliders to adjust the nose and mouth size of my character. I don't need 100 hair choices. I'm looking at the back of my character's head 75% of the time. For the 25% I'm in conversation, it would be nice, but it's ok.

If I had to nitpick, I would like to eventually see a voice slider. It's fine for individual play to have the same voice per class. But play a group mission with multiple male consulars or female soldiers etc. There is your bigger clone issue.

However, this are cosmetic options that can be implemented later and easily adjusted with some special vendor station. They are not necessary to playing the game. Case in point: KOTOR 1 and 2 had almost the same system. And perhaps even less in face customization (no species unless you downloaded mods). Is it perhaps as expansive as Galaxies was? (which I only played briefly to be honest) No. But if memory serves, Galaxies added new species via expansions and updates.

As far as the saber color thing- I wasn't aware of any restrictions. I saw a Jedi Knight wielding duel red sabers. When did you play last?

11. DarthVengeant

Oct 14, 2004
    I wont pay a monthly fee for a game unless I get some real customization and personalization. So, I will wait until or if they do.

I need the voice, hair, color, etc choices because it is MY character. My creation. Why? Because it is something you have to pay a monthly fee on. I am not paying a fee to be a clone.

"Game-breaking" or "nit picking" isn't the issue. It's what I am willing to pay a monthly fee for. As it is now, I am not.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    When Galaxies started out, Wookies couldn't have armour. That annoyed a lot of people, but it was changed eventually. Extra species were also added after a while.

I am very keen on getting this game, but I hear mixed things about gameplay (online videos are helpful but they only tell you the basics) and paying out a lot for soemthing I might play a bit is not worth it I think. Galaxies stopped being worth it once I only played it for about 7days a year, it just isn't worth the price to hardly play it.

13. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005

As I understand it, lightsaber colors outside of red, green, blue, yellow and purple are hard to find such as white, viridian, cyan, megenta, orange, silver, black.:_| Course I don't think you can get crystals like these unless you get to a high level like 50 or something. [face_thinking]